Has anyone gotten heartburn relief from losing weight?

Options

Replies

• serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had chronic heartburn when I weighed 197 (5'2" tall). And I mean CHRONIC - even water gave me heartburn!

Now, at 125 pounds - no heartburn at all - not ever.

I think I used to eat so much in one sitting that I created the problem...now I eat smaller amounts and more often. I think that is probably what fixed it (not necessarily the weight loss).
  • Onperch
    Onperch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I get acid reflux. Losing weight made it go away.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I have for a LONG time suffered from heartburn. My father suffered from it (and got esophageal cancer, he's a non smoker and non drinker so the GERD was the cause, he's cancer free right now, yay!) and my sister suffers from it. When I was pregnant I had to take Zantac and Pepcid every 12 hours (I would alternate med every 12 hours) and use Tums in between, about 10 a day. I don't attribute it to what I was eating, I would get heartburn on an empty stomach or from drinking water. Chocolate, milk and greasy food did not help though. I have drastically cut my milk consumption (I still consume dairy in the form of cheese and yogurt, sour cream, ice cream, etc.) and immediately started noticing a difference. I have lost 27lbs in the past 2.5 months so I attribute it to not having as much fat pushing up my actual stomach and forcing the acid to be pushed up into my esophagus. My diet is obviously better and my portions are now controlled. Overeating makes it worse and spacing out your meals will definitely help. No greasy foods. More fruits and veggies. Naturally if you do that you will lose some weight. I think I have had heartburn maybe 2 times since the beginning of January and that was on an empty stomach and I think that was because was hungry and the stomach acid had nothing to breakdown so it came up instead. Good luck to you!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux is caused by a lot of things, diet is an absolute major one. Here is some information that might be helpful (Im in pharmacy school, this is literally something we are talking about right now)

Gerd is caused by problems associated with the esophogeal sphincter. This is what separates your stomach from your esophagus (the tube that connects your mouth where food goes in to get to your stomach). Your stomach is filled with a very powerful acid called Hydrochloric acid (HCl), which can be very harmful and painful when it coats the linning of your GI tract. You body produces and maintains a Mucosa membrane, made of Bicarbonate and other elements to protect your cells. In other words, in your stomach, (in normal conditions) you cells lining your stomach never actually touch your stomach acid, because the mucosa acts as a buffer. Your esophagus on the other hand, does not have a mucosa lining, therefore, if the acid goes past the sphincter, up from the stomach to the esophagus, this will cause the burning and pain.

A major cause of this can be due to increased pressure underneath the sphincter. Typically there is more pressure above this sphincter, which is what causes food to get pushed down into the stomach. BUT if there is increased pressure below, this can cause the sphincter (which is typically closed) to open and possibly remain open, allowing that HCl to come up and spill onto the esophagus. So in essence, you want to decrease that pressure.

What causes increased pressure from underneath and how to prevent it?
    -Large quantities of food and excess eating. I know every year on 4th of july, im gonna get heartburn, because I know I over eat. With all the bread, the hot dogs, burgers, chips, etc; its bound to happen. Because the stomach is filled with so much food, it causes increased pressure, opening that sphincter
    -Specific foods will also increase that pressure too, especially those higher in acid. Theres millions of lists out there, Im not going to list them all here
    -Problems with the sphincter itself can also occur. If the GERD is chronic, and not just within an hour of eating, you may have some more serious pathology, such as nerve damage or failure. This can be treated and be pretty serious.

GERD is something that is very important to get under control if it is frequent. The chronic damage to the esophagus can lead to cancer very easily, which esophageal cancer is something that is currently on the rise

GERD can be also taken care of with protein pump inhibitors and sodium bicarb buffers like Tums and Pepcid and Zantac. While these are great drugs, they need to be used with caution if being used over long periods of time. These drugs decrease the acidity of your stomach, which can affect the normal flora (the bacteria in your body) and can cause some bacteria to grow to unnatural numbers, leading to very serious problems

Diet is the most important and easiest way to change and affect GERD problems, and with your husband losing weight, not only is he probably eating better, but eating less.

Hope this info was helpful
  • tryttej
    tryttej Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with several posters that it's a combo of weight loss and diet. I had severe acid reflux that is totally gone now--as long as I eat carefully. I believe weight loss fixed much of the problem, but I start with the coughing that is the first sign of trouble with me if I eat refined carbs. I almost completely cut traditional, sliced bread and pasta from my diet for awhile, and had absolutely no symptoms. I've let bread and a few penne sneak back into the diet here and there, and I always find myself coughing a bit after those meals.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    One other thing I forgot to say, kinda to contradict/correct an earlier poster. Things like milk ARE good, as they provide a good buffer against HCl in the stomach
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Weight loss and smaller portions helped me noticeably, but did not eliminate it. I still have to take medicine for it daily.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I can say absolutely yes to your question. I have GERD and an ulcer as a result of the GERD. I had significant heartburn/pain all the time before I started losing weight. Everything hurts, though, when you have all the extra weight adding pressure to all your body parts. I rarely have any heartburn anymore and if I do, it's because I know I've eaten too much of what I shouldn't be eating anyway. It's a great way to stay in check. If/When I get it now, it's nowhere near as painful as it was before and much more manageable with just a couple of Tums rather than waiting on anything stronger.

I would say, too, your doctor is accurate. Even 15 pounds down, I found I wasn't experiencing heartburn symptoms. I didn't realize it until I stopped to think about it once along the journey.

Much luck to you!
    Ashley
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Not for me =(
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to take Zantac at least once a day. It's probably a combination of healthier diet, exercise and portion control but I only have heartburn when I fall back into old habits now. If you still have problems, cut out all alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    100% acid reflux is gone! I noticed it right away when I changed my diet and quit eating wheat, soy, corn, diary, fried and processed foods. I'm not sure which one of the foods I eliminated was causing the acid reflux or the combination of them but I only have acid reflux now if I eat bad. I took meds daily before and was hospitalized a couple of times b/c it was so severe so not having it anymore is a blessing.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Had really bad acid reflux, had to take prescription med every day, then every other day, than once a week, now only as needed, which is usually when I know I'll be drinking. Don't know if it was the weight loss or clean eating, but either way no more acid reflux.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm having the same issue and have been dealing with it for years. I am seriously hoping weight loss will help. My doc recommended this supplement to help me out till then. It might be worth looking into to tide you over.

http://www.amazon.com/Heartburn-Free-ROH10®-10-Softgels/dp/B000168V4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363111050&sr=8-1&keywords=heartburn+free

So far, I find that it works great. The usual regimine calls for one box, but since I was on an Rx acid reducer for years (Protonix), she recommended I get two boxes. You take these for 10-20 days and then as long as you stay away from too many trigger foods after, you can be symptom free for 6 months to a year. If it comes back, you get another box and repeat.

Also, I am just finding out that most Rx stomach meds are only supposed to be taken 6 months or up to a year, max. After that, it can seriously damage your stomach lining (what you were taking the meds for in the first place).

Hope you find some relief!

25200309.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It was really bad, I was waking up frequently with horrible stuff in my mouth from it, had to take zantac and other things for it and they didn't really help... but it's more IMO because of the change of diet (and cutting out a lot of fat) than because I've lost weight, as I've only lost 20 lbs and still have a lot to lose. So if you lose weight but still eat fatty foods, it's probably not going to help. If you eat healthier, it should.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Heatburn, reflux and many IBS symptoms--GONE due to change in diet and loss of 21 lbs. Best NSV of this whole process!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    yes definitely
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    One other thing I forgot to say, kinda to contradict/correct an earlier poster. Things like milk ARE good, as they provide a good buffer against HCl in the stomach

WHAAAAA?? Not for me! Milk absolutely is a BAD thing for people with acid reflux. It does NOT "coat your stomach."
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options

WHAAAAA?? Not for me! Milk absolutely is a BAD thing for people with acid reflux. It does NOT "coat your stomach."

Exactly, milk does not "coat the stomach", unless you are talking about skim milk and I don't drink skim milk, ew.

"You can include protein sources, which contain saturated fat, in an acid reflux diet by reducing the associated fat. For example, while whole milk and whole-milk products may contribute to acid reflux, skim milk or low-fat yogurt may not be as problematic. Other low-fat or fat-free dairy products, as well as lean meats with all visible fat trimmed off and poultry without skin, are other proteins you may include in an acid reflux diet. Because people have different trigger foods, though, you may have to test out low-fat milk or low-fat yogurt to see if they cause heartburn symptoms."

"Skim milk may work as a remedy for quick relief from heartburn if you don't have antacids or acid-reducing medication available. The remedy includes sipping a small amount of skim milk and remaining upright for 30 minutes for relief from heartburn. Make certain you use skim milk, though, and not milk with fat content, which can encourage acid reflux."
  • Lauren2H
    Lauren2H Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really hope this works out to be the case for me. I've always had reflux, but its been pretty severe with poor diet and weight gain. Here's to hoping I can improve things! I've been doing research on reflux diets but t gets depressing. I wish I could figure out what bothers me, but "it depends." Some days water causes reflux and others I can eat fried food. Sigh.