Vegetarians?

Options
terraskye
terraskye Posts: 370 Member
I'm trying to eat a 95% vegetarian diet with the other 5% fish....I'll be eating dairy though and trying to cut off eggs too. Would love to find some people on here with similar eating habits for sharing and support:)

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian (and don't know that I could be one) but I eat vegetarian meals fairly often. I'd love to hear recipes/suggestions/etc. to keep my low-meat diet up!! I applaud you for being an almost-veg! :smile:
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Vegetarian here, no fish for me though. Not quite vegan yet--I've found it a bit tough in practice to avoid dairy and eggs consistently. however, I've cut almost all dairy and feel better for it! Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend!:flowerforyou:
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    hi im veggie no fish but do have dairy not sure id eat a ood enough diet without eggs and cheese feel free to add me if you want
  • terraskye
    Options
    Hey there! Vegetarian here, no fish for me though. Not quite vegan yet--I've found it a bit tough in practice to avoid dairy and eggs consistently. however, I've cut almost all dairy and feel better for it! Good luck! Feel free to add me as a friend!:flowerforyou:

• becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi - my son and I have been meat free for several years.. I will very occasionally eat fish or shellfish, though.. We eat a lot of the Morningstar Farms products - they have great meat free barbecus riblets, "chicken" nuggets, and veggie burgers that we eat about 3 times a week for the protein.. The other nights we eat all fresh veggies, brown rice, chick pea burgers, lots of options. Good luck! We enjoy not having meat and feel alot healthier for it too! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want! Becky
  • African_Goddess
    Options
    Im not all the way Vegetarian yet but im working on it, I have cut out red meat, pork, and chicken I do eat fish and turkey sometime, but I have found that the brand Morning Star has some great meat substitute and they taste really good, they have the burger patties and the chicken flavored strips that i put on my salad and I make chili and stuffed bellpeppers and taco's with the meatless crumbs they taste just like ground beef, but if u go to their website u will find alot of recipes and as I said b4 it is great.
  • African_Goddess
    Options
    I luv Morningstar it is great, my husband doesnt eat meat at all so im slowly go in that direction.
  • terraskye
    Options
    Hi - my son and I have been meat free for several years.. I will very occasionally eat fish or shellfish, though.. We eat a lot of the Morningstar Farms products - they have great meat free barbecus riblets, "chicken" nuggets, and veggie burgers that we eat about 3 times a week for the protein.. The other nights we eat all fresh veggies, brown rice, chick pea burgers, lots of options. Good luck! We enjoy not having meat and feel alot healthier for it too! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want! Becky

Oh I wish they carried Morningstar products here in Canada..I really miss that..I heard the Lightline products (smartbacon) was good too..I can pretty much get most Yves products and some Boca stuff. I'm going to a store tomorrow that has their own line of meatless too that I want to try.
  • terraskye
    Options
    I luv Morningstar it is great, my husband doesnt eat meat at all so im slowly go in that direction.

I miss Morningstar stuff....My hubby is a meat eater but I figure that is his thing...I'm mostly doing it because I have huge digestive issues with meat:( even the hormone, free range stuff
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    I strive to eat as few animal products as possible. I'd love more veggie/vegan friends! :flowerforyou:
  • jeniam
    jeniam Posts: 13
    Options
    I am not vegetarian, but eat a predominately vegetarian diet. I do eat dairy and have no intention of stopping although I limit it due to calorie limitiations and I buy most of my dairy from a local non-conventional farm. Meat no more than 2 times a week and usually not that often. No pork at all, very little red meat. Usually chicken breast or turkey breast. Not much fish frankly because we eat mostly organic and organic fish is not cheap. I rarely eat processed or packaged foods and that cuts out the meat -free products. Feel free to friend me, though as i would also love the support as well.
  • ryanmelissa09
    Options
    Vegetarian here as well. :smile:
    Not all the way vegan , but almost at 100% there. Still love my occasional egg here and there and of course cheese.
    Would love to here any great ideas or recipes .
  • ruth1104
    ruth1104 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been veggie for 9 years! Although I have gone back to eating fish in the past few years. I find Quorn products really good as they're very low fat and filling, made from mushroom protein (although they don't taste like mushrooms!)
  • moreveggiesplease
    Options
    I am! Happy to see so many others on here!
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been Vegan for 6 years, Vegetarian 10+ years. I'd never go back. :smile:

I'm not an "evangelical vegan" (meaning, I won't preach "vegetarianism" at you). But, I'd love to share anything about my recipes and experience.

I'm glad to see other vegetarians on the message boards! I live in rural Northeast PA and it's rare that I meet another vegetarian/vegan. :heart:
  • terraskye
    Options
    Update: I totally gave up fish/shellfish but am now classifying myself as an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I feel great, loads of energy and happy since I've stopped eating meat:)
  • terraskye
    Options
    I've been Vegan for 6 years, Vegetarian 10+ years. I'd never go back. :smile:

I'm not an "evangelical vegan" (meaning, I won't preach "vegetarianism" at you). But, I'd love to share anything about my recipes and experience.

I'm glad to see other vegetarians on the message boards! I live in rural Northeast PA and it's rare that I meet another vegetarian/vegan. :heart:

Did you find it heard going vegan from being a vegetarian?
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    terraskye: very happy that you bumped this thread and very happy for you that you have cut out all meat now! Do you care to share what made you decide to go veggie in the first place? If not, that's perfectly fine! Just curious :)

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about a year a while back until I spent 6 weeks in Mexico and it just became too difficult to maintain there. Well, I've always had the little Jiminy Cricket conscious bugging me about it but it wasn't 'til very recently that I caved in and decided I could no longer go on eating meat with a clear conscience in regard to the animals, workers, farmers, or environment. The movie "Food, Inc." had some to do with that, I highly recommend it!

I'm a Heartland girl, surrounded by dairy farms, and I haven't found it too difficult so far to give up dairy. I love soy milk, prefer it over cow's milk actually. And cheese is a very yummy topping but it ends up being so high in calories, I didn't use it much anyways once I started eating healthy. So I probably won't miss it much, haven't so far. And although it's hard to really duplicate an egg, there is always tofu scramble!

Going vegan is much easier once you are convicted to do so...if that makes sense. I think it would be harder for me to follow if I didn't have the ethical reasoning to do so.
  • terraskye
    Options
    terraskye: very happy that you bumped this thread and very happy for you that you have cut out all meat now! Do you care to share what made you decide to go veggie in the first place? If not, that's perfectly fine! Just curious :)

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about a year a while back until I spent 6 weeks in Mexico and it just became too difficult to maintain there. Well, I've always had the little Jiminy Cricket conscious bugging me about it but it wasn't 'til very recently that I caved in and decided I could no longer go on eating meat with a clear conscience in regard to the animals, workers, farmers, or environment. The movie "Food, Inc." had some to do with that, I highly recommend it!

I'm a Heartland girl, surrounded by dairy farms, and I haven't found it too difficult so far to give up dairy. I love soy milk, prefer it over cow's milk actually. And cheese is a very yummy topping but it ends up being so high in calories, I didn't use it much anyways once I started eating healthy. So I probably won't miss it much, haven't so far. And although it's hard to really duplicate an egg, there is always tofu scramble!

Going vegan is much easier once you are convicted to do so...if that makes sense. I think it would be harder for me to follow if I didn't have the ethical reasoning to do so.

I love the movie Food Inc!!:) I bought it through iTunes and its on my itouch.

I know I may possibly get flack from this but its not that I personally didn't like meat, but the fact that it was making me physically sick everytime I ate it. Horrible stomach pains that would keep me up all night. After 20 years of this I finally got tired of being in pain, being bloated and not having any energy. I tried free range, hormone free but that didn't work either. I figured I'd rather just stop eating it and feeling better.

I do love scrambled tofu but I also love hard boiled eggs...I do love almond milk but like regular milk for cooking and Mmmm cheese.. but so far those haven't been making me ill but if they do then they'll have to go too. I dont eat them often though because of the calories or cholesterol.

I tried vegan once about three years ago but I only lasted one month. I really hope this time around I can still with being vegetarian for a long time:)

P.S. We live in Cattle Country so I feel your pain :) being Heartland Girl
  • TerraEarth
    TerraEarth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been lacto-ovo- vegetarian for 7 years now. I find that I have been relying too much on dairy for my protein though. Its time to step up the other sources for me!
    Good luck, and great name Terraskye- is your name really Terra? I have only met two others in my life!