What to do with your fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• susie234
    susie234 Posts: 14
    Options
    Best to donate them. I don't always do this, though. You always have some clothes that fit no matter what, so if it's ugly or doesn't fit...someone might get more use out of them.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I donated mine :)
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Donate em, get the donation slips, write them off on your taxes next year.

Then shop the thrift store racks for the clothes you need. I haven't worn anything new in a long time but still wear name brands in great condition that I find at the thrift stores. It is an awesome way to replenish the closet at a cheap price and you are helping the folks that the thrift stores support.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    i should donate my work clothes and jeans. My t-shirts and sweaters I wear around the house or to bed...
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Back in 2011 my sister and I lost weight together (we're roughly the same height and build), but she was always a size bigger than I was because she started out weighing more. I would lend her all my clothes as I out-shrunk them, and when she out-shrunk them, she'd give them back. It worked out better for her than for me because she rarely had to buy any new, smaller clothes until she and I hit the same size.

Do you have a friend who is also losing weight and might need some "mid-weight-loss clothes?" I don't recommend giving someone who's not losing weight your "fat clothes." That can be really insulting!

I had a plan to sell some of my nicer clothes at a consignment store (they donate what doesn't sell, and I get the tax deduction, so if I can make money off of them, so be it, and if not, they get donated anyway), but then I got pregnant again and needed some to bridge the gap between my pre-pregnancy clothes and maternity clothes. Then I will be able to wear them as I get back down to pre-pregnancy weight. Once I've out-shrunk them again I'll have to re-evaluate whether or not they are worthy of consigning or if I should just donate them.

Since I don't think you'll be getting pregnant in the near future (SCIENCE!), I would either consign them or donate them. There's really no need to have them around. My sister kept one pair of her biggest jeans as a reminder. She took a picture last week of herself holding them, and it's pretty amazing (about 100 lbs lost). I think I'll do the same after I have this baby, since I don't plan on having any more kids, so getting back in shape is expected to be a permanent change this time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    20 lb lost and I still fit in mine. How's that for depressing. The jeans are looser (and were pretty tight when I started my diet) but that's about it. I don't think the tops are going away anytime soon because of my boobs (which haven't changed one bit).

I'll probably end up throwing away half my clothes because they're pretty old anyway. Rest will go in the closet with my kids' old clothes until I find the time and energy to go through them.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I really started dropping weight how many of my friends were asking me what I was going to do with my old clothes. So a lot have gone to them so far. A couple of my favorite t-shirts I've made into throw pillows, and I've cut into strips and braided a few rather generic knit shirts to make chew toys for my dog. I did save one pair of jeans for the "big pants" pic when I reach the end of my journey!
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Donate! Good Will or Catholic Charities, etc. There are also some places, though not many, that will buy clothes for cash or store credit. Then you can shop their store for whatever you may need in the meantime until you reach your goal weight.
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Burn bridges as you cross them. Make sure you never go back there again. Toss or donate for sure. I did and it was liberating.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Definitely get rid of them. There is a real freedom in getting rid of that part of yourself. I went down 3 sizes 10 years ago and got rid of everything and it felt so good. I only had a few things to wear for a little while, but I refused to put on those old baggy clothes. There are many great organizations already mentioned here that wil take them. I agree also with the person that said don't give them to anyone you know. My mother in law gave me some of her fat clothes once and I still get haired up about it!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    What to do with your fat clothes?

I have already donated a lot of my clothes to date. :smile: so, I'm not doing that for the last sets before I hit my goal body.

My new plan is to save all the newer clothes I've purchased and will not fit into and burn them. My reason for packing on the pounds was traumatic, so I will need to add sturdy hard wood to assist in the burning process. When all my memories have been turned to ashes I will have all that converted into Memorial Diamonds. It will help me remember to NEVER go back there again.:wink:
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I have previoulsy tried to donate large clothes and most will not take them. I think there is definlty a market (at least in my town) for a second hand store specialing in larger cloths.

I ended up giving mine to Jennry Craig and the homeless shelter. They were working with abused women who were trying to get back into the work force. Good luck!
  • KevinsCatie
    KevinsCatie Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would lend her all my clothes as I out-shrunk them, and when she out-shrunk them, she'd give them back.

LOL I love this term "outshrunk"!!! Def stealing that one!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I gave my formalwear and nicer dress clothes to a battered women's shelter. T-shirts and stuff like that, I either rag-bagged or sent to goodwill.

And I kept one pair of my "fattest fat shorts" --which I keep in my closet with the word "FAT" written in red duct tape across the *kitten* as a reminder of what I have accomplished, and where I never want to be again
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Donate them.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I will donate most of the clothes and maybe keep just a few things as a reminder.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I used my fat clothes as maternity clothes. Now whatever is too big, I just donate or if they're hole-y or stained, they just go in the garbage. It's just taking up space just sitting in the closet.
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If they're t-shirts or sweat pants, I sleep in them. If not I donate them or give them to my mom.
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Back when I lost my weight originally, I had spent a weekend boxing up the "fat" clothes to donate to a local thrift shop. At work the following Monday, while discussing the weekend I mentioned I cleaned out my closet. A co-worker asked if I had anything "good", I told her yes, some with tags; she asked if she could go through the box. I told her yes.

Totally forgot to bring them in, however, about 2 weeks later another co-worker informed me that the other one was telling everyone I had "offered" her my fat clothes and since she checked and I hadn't mentioned it to anyone else apparently I thought she was the fattest. I was in shock - explained what had "really" happened and decided then and there I was never mentioning something of that nature again. Her loss of course, someone else got a very nice worn once black leather coat.

I give them to the local thrift shop that supports the local humane society.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    have a bonfire, roast marshmallows and weinies, drink some whiskey.