Thighs !!!! Pear shape

Options
2»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls for your comments!!!! =)))

Micheleb : I do lots of lunges and squats on tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Its a different class, every day, we do all types of squats and lunges! :) Comes up to around 100 squats /100 lunges per class I would say.

On saturday and sunday, I do around (90 squats and pulse squats) + 20 lunges with biceps curls! :)

I loveeee Curtsy lunges ! And plie squats!

Lunges and squats are my absolute favourite! :)

If you like doing the ballet style leg work, you'll love this workout:

http://shop.barmethod.com/collections/dvd

I LOVE IT! I did that workout exclusively for a long time before moving on to weights and cardio. Love love love.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain.. sucks when you have to buy a small-medium bikini top and a large to extra large bottom (which still cuts in).
    I had success by calorie counting and basic cardio (like light running). It was hard at the start because I was only losing at my waist which made my hips even more noticable, but I did lose about 1.5" around my hips eventually. It did seem to be waist loss, then when it couldn't get any smaller, it would move to another part of my body.
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great comments!!!! :))

Will incorporate lots of your ideas in my routine!!!

Oh and today, NICE SURPRISE, I had 2 abs when looking in the miror (Only the one on top, of course) lol!

Did lots of lower abs exercise today! :)

Giggittygoo ; You look HOT !!!!!!
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    GET IT GIRLS, Looking all fly and stuff. jiggy.gif
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Haha! I guess we are never happy with what we have.

My boyfriends likes the booty! (good)

What I need is to lose a little bit of the thighs cause since Im short, it looks like two big hams!

I can never wear a beautiful dress without feeling unconfortable because I feel like I have huge legs.

Fat knees AND fat thighs!

Even if I wear the highest heels, its still weird looking!
    =(

OMG I call my thighs hams all the time!!!!! I'm with ya girl, my thighs just dont' want to shrink as fast as the rest of me...
  • GET IT GIRLS, Looking all fly and stuff. jiggy.gif

This made me smile really big. :happy:
  • VeroM1234
    VeroM1234 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Haha just saw that anim!

LOLLLLL!

:)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You are right, you can't spot reduce fat. The reason we are "pear shaped" is that our bodies store excess fat on our hips and thighs. It's usually the first place the fat goes and the last place it comes off.

However, doing 100 body weight squats is hell on your knees. Do you have access to barbell weights? I'd recommend a good strength training program like Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I'm no expert here, but won't the squats and other leg exercises increase the size of your leg muscles and contribute to your size? Of course it's better to have muscle mass than fat, but you might be seeing increased muscle mass in place of lost fat.

No. Bodyweight squats and 8-10 pound dumbbells will not build muscle especially at a calorie deficit.

Even with heavy weight lifting it's difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert here, but won't the squats and other leg exercises increase the size of your leg muscles and contribute to your size? Of course it's better to have muscle mass than fat, but you might be seeing increased muscle mass in place of lost fat.

No. Bodyweight squats and 8-10 pound dumbbells will not build muscle especially at a calorie deficit.

Even with heavy weight lifting it's difficult to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

So should you not really lift weights much when you are in the weight loss phase or it will be wasted effort? Should you save your real hard work weight wise until after you lose the weight?
  • bella19741974
    Options
    hi..
    i feel u girl, im having the same problem like u... my thighs, my butt , my legs are fat, not really , but i do cardio, i do abs, ... my weigh is 165lbs i used to be 174lbs before, i'm 5'4.. i have heart problems, i take meds for it... and other medial problems also
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say that you can't spot reduce/train because you can't. However, when I set my calories to a moderate deficit (TDEE-250 calories), and lift heavy with lots of squats, lunges, and deadlifts, my thighs slimmed down nicely with the rest of me.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

So should you not really lift weights much when you are in the weight loss phase or it will be wasted effort? Should you save your real hard work weight wise until after you lose the weight?

No, no, no! Lifting while in a deficit will help you maintain muscle mass which means that weight loss will be FAT instead of MUSCLE which we all know by now means a bigger decrease in volume (muscle is more dense than fat, 1 pound of fat takes up a lot more space than a pound of muscle).
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I dont get it...

if women think they are pear shaped why dont they weight train heavy on top and become hour glass shaped ???
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I dont get it...

if women think they are pear shaped why dont they weight train heavy on top and become hour glass shaped ???

:huh: Hourglass shape comes from big boobs.

But yes, training FULL body de-emphasizes my hips a bit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

No, no, no! Lifting while in a deficit will help you maintain muscle mass which means that weight loss will be FAT instead of MUSCLE which we all know by now means a bigger decrease in volume (muscle is more dense than fat, 1 pound of fat takes up a lot more space than a pound of muscle).

This. Definitely lift while losing. If you do not, you could lose fat and muscle. Lifting helps ensure that more of what you lose is fat, and less is muscles.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Same body type for me.. my thighs never want to let go and regardless of what I do, it is the last to lose. As I am closer to goal, they are finally getting smaller.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I dont get it...

i always assumed it meant ballanced top and bottom with narrow waist and not sure why you mention boobs as they are supposed to be on the front not under armpits in my limited experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bone_arista
    Options
    I'm very similar to you girl! I have size 34 D boobs, but the measurements of my hips and booty make me a pear shape (as many people are glad to point out whenever I make the mistake of calling it an hourglass shape).. Here's my [old] workout routine that worked! (I'm OCD with the number five)

M-F - (daily)
    500 squats
    500 jumping jacks
    500 crunches
    500 push ups
    500 leg lifts

Weekends - (daily)
    30 min yoga
    30 min basketball
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I dont get it...

i always assumed it meant ballanced top and bottom with narrow waist and not sure why you mention boobs as they are supposed to be on the front not under armpits in my limited experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need big boobs, but you need something. Women's measurements are typically Bust-Waist-Hips. Hourglass is when the Bust (Boob area) and Hips are very close and the waist much smaller. In the song "Baby's got Back", she is hourglass (36-24-36).

A lot of women end up pear when they are fairly flat chested in proportion to their hips. As an hourglass-to-slight-pear shape lady, I feel like hourglass is the hardest to achieve because you can't make your bust bigger so the only way to achieve is to lose the hips (such a hard spot since I generally only lose in my waist). Flat chested girls have almost zero chance of ever being hourglass without silicon.