Weight Loss while breastfeeding...

Options
Ladies-

I am a mom of two, 2 1/2 years, and 2 1/2 months. I am currently breastfeeding and was hoping it would help me to lose weight more quickly, unfortunately that has not been the case. I love to exercise, but have struggled with my schedule to make it happen. My goal is to lose about 60 lbs. I am just having a hard time between dieting and not restricting too many calories to affect my milk supply. Anybody out there that can help or motivate...please :)

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Your baby is 2 1/2 months. Give it some time. You are likely not sleeping well, eating well, and overall, your life is in complete upheaval right now. Give yourself some time to heal and get back on a manageable schedule and the weight will start to come off.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I couldn't lose a thing breastfeeding.. but I ate heathy and worked out... then when I stopped, about 6 weeks after, I had a HUGE migraine storm and the weight started FALLING off.... while living the exact same lifestyle I was before. Sometimes hormones are powerful things....... and they don't affect everyone the same.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a three year old and a 7month old. I am nursing her exclusively but she gets one solids meals a day. It has been hard to figure out my body and how many calories I need to loose. I have been eating 1800 calories a day and doing turbo fire for the last 8 weeks along with eating my exercise calories back. I have been able to loose 30 pounds. Your baby is still young. I would give it a little time. It's all about learning your body and what it requires. It has been hard to find time to workout but I have been able to get it in while they nap and play. Just figure out what works for you. Best of luck to you!
  • AngelineTheBaker
    AngelineTheBaker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was Maid of Honor in a beach wedding four months after having my son. Talk about motivation to get in shape!

Don't cut calories, but maybe eat healthier.I switched to a paleo diet and lost 10 pounds in a month. Also, try fenugreek supplements for your milk supply. Don't get them at GNC, get them from a real health food store. You won't have to worry about your supply, but just a warning: You are going to smell like maple syrup.
  • HomesteadHoney
    Options
    I nursed all 6 of mine, and enjoyed the closeness and bonding, as well as knowing they were getting the best nutrition.
    I remember my sister researching and finding that your body wants to hold onto the weight for about 4 mos.
    I would definitely think about 'what' I was eating, sodas and cinnamon rolls will do your baby no good. This is a good time to learn more about nutrition, as your knowledge will affect your whole family for a long time to come.
    I agree with the others to give your body some time and focus on nutritious foods as well as plenty of liquids.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have two the same ages- what I am doing: TDEE-15% moderate activity plus 500 more calories for breastfeeding. Ends up being 2650- I have trouble eating healthy foods and reach that! I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution ( only 75% today as both kids woke up crying!). I am losing inches- my thighs are for sure smaller. I have lost the pregnancy weight and now working on my first pregnancy's weight! I will keep on this track for awhile and see how it goes. I am trying hard to develop a lifestyle so if it takes time, I am okay with that. Feel free to friend me if you want support.
  • stephaninicole
    stephaninicole Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I know I need to relax a little and hopefully around 4 months things will get easier. Until then I will try to focus more on what I am eating and just being active. It is a little hard as I was a workout junkie before my pregnancy, 5-6 days a week for two+ hours a day. Pregnancy is hard on a body!!
  • hlpatton
    hlpatton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 month old currently and I found my weight refused to budge until around the 4 month mark. I also found 1800 was tha magical number for me, though I was not exclusively breastfeeding, he got a couple bottles of formula a day. I would recommend concentrating on healthy eating, until the 3-4 month mark, then start counting your calories. I also started with moderate exercise, walking 3-4 miles a few times a week, and now I work out for an hour 4-5x a week. Also, props on breastfeeding! You will lose the weight, just give it some time!