Protein powder tastes gross

Options
I just got an unflavoured type of whey isolate protein - liked the idea of it, because it had no other crap in it, & thought it could work with savoury flavours. Tried to mix it with plain Greek yogurt. Disgusting results! I don't even know how to describe it, it's like what I imagine gone-off paper might taste like.

I guess most people add some kind of sweetener to it? Spent a fair bit on it - how can I salvage it?

Replies

• ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    add fruit/berries, cottage cheese or ricotta, stevia...
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Make some protein fluff!

1 c. ice cubes
    1 c. skim milk
    2 scoops protein powder
    1 packet sugar free jello

Blend the ice and milk to make your smoothie base
    add the protein powder and blend again -- it will start to get fluffy
    add the jello (ONLY THE POWDER PACKET, NOT PREPARED JELLO)
    blend again.

yum!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have some unflavored. Bleck. I use it in smoothies and ADD a teaspoon of stevia. Yeah, I am a wimp.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump I need ideas too besides fruit
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Well good luck, hopeless one - I couldn't make it taste good without adding sweet stuff (vanilla extract & sugar, as it turned out, & berries in milk - made it possible to choke down)... hopefully someone else has ideas
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I put it in the blender with either soy or almond milk and frozen fruit. Sometimes I put 1 T of peanut butter and 1 T of cocoa, plus a cup of ice ( high calorie option but my favorite!) I also like to put it in with a serving of pineapple orange juice and a cup of ice.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Ah nice, thank you! Not adventurous enough to try with peanut butter, tbh, but I forgot I actually do like pineapple - sounds good, will try :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you could always just eat your protein....

i usually buy chocolate it tastes like a milk shake...
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I drink Hemp Protein Pro70 powder and it DOES taste gross--alone, but I add tons of organic frozen raspberries, blueberries, mangoes, strawberries and then some rice milk & flax milk and then it's the absolute YUM.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    you could always just eat your protein....

i usually buy chocolate it tastes like a milk shake...

Yeah just wanted to top it up a little. And holy crap, did I - 200 grams of protein today (just 28 from the powder). But I do have days where I don't hit my target; it's nice to have as backup. Might try chocolate next time. Or add the cocoa I like to this, maybe..
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I drink Hemp Protein Pro70 powder and it DOES taste gross--alone, but I add tons of organic frozen raspberries, blueberries, mangoes, strawberries and then some rice milk & flax milk and then it's the absolute YUM.

That does sound yum!