Protein Shakes...Water or Milk?

Options
I'm fairly new to the protein shake scene. I've done some reading online and in previous forum posts but looking for some fresh opinions here.

I currently have the Body Fortress Vanilla flavour. I've been using 1 scoop with 1 cup of 1% milk, some berries and some ice cubes. It works out to about 230 calories. I'd like to cut back on the calories from the milk so should I

-Continue to make it with milk
-Make it with water (does it taste gross?!)
-OR make it with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water (does anyone do this?)

Thank you for your opinions!

PS: No almond milk for me....nut allergies!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If water tastes too "watery", you can cut the calories by using unsweetened Almond milk (30 cal per cup) instead of milk.
  • DebRHCP
    DebRHCP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try using unsweetened almond milk. It is only about 30 calories per 8 ounces. It is about the same consistency as 1% milk. It will add a slight almond flavor though.
  • iceicebritney
    iceicebritney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm using the EAS Lean Chocolate and doing all water, no milk or any other filler. Honestly, I think the shakes taste better with water but that's a personal preference. Also, I can make them on the go much easier without having to worry about refrigerating milk.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    the shake i get for dinner from my gym is made with milk

protein shakes i make at home are with water

needless to say the water ones do not taste too well
  • DebRHCP
    DebRHCP Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If water tastes too "watery", you can cut the calories by using unsweetened Almond milk (30 cal per cup) instead of milk.

We had the same idea :)
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm using GNC Lean Shakes and I use water and ice and they taste great.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm doing unsweetened almond milk here
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. You say that you want to cut back on cals from the milk, then ask if you should continue making it with milk.

um... ??? If you want to cut back on the milk cals, then yes, cut back on the milk. You could also cut out some berries if you wanted to reduce overall cals.

Personally I hate them with water, and have gotten so accustomed to making them with milk AND ice cream that milk-only shakes taste a little gross to me.
  • candiada
    candiada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love how 2 or 3 people said they use Almond milk after you said you were allergic to nuts.
  • moparrunner6
    Options
    i dont know if anybody else does this but i dont use any fruit in my protine shakes i use coffie in mine.no milk.it gives me 2 things gives me protine and an extra boost.and iv been seeing a trainer for past 2 mounths now he says drink protine shacks.after work out not before.it will help you recover faster after work out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love how 2 or 3 people said they use Almond milk after you said you were allergic to nuts.

Sorry to burst your bubble then, but the OP went back and edited to add that, probably after the almond milk suggestions.

OP, you could cut calories with soy milk as well. It's higher than almond milk but less than cow's milk, and no nuts. There are a lot of "milk" options these days. Rice milk, oat milk, coconut milk, etc.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the protein shake scene. I've done some reading online and in previous forum posts but looking for some fresh opinions here.

I currently have the Body Fortress Vanilla flavour. I've been using 1 scoop with 1 cup of 1% milk, some berries and some ice cubes. It works out to about 230 calories. I'd like to cut back on the calories from the milk so should I

-Continue to make it with milk
    -Make it with water (does it taste gross?!)
    -OR make it with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water (does anyone do this?)

Thank you for your opinions!

PS: No almond milk for me....nut allergies!

If the 1% milk makes you unhappy calorie-wise, switch to skim milk.

Skim milk and lowfat cottage cheese have a superb bang-for-buck calories vs protein ratio. Why would you go to water instead of skim milk if the goal is to increase your protein?? 230 calories for a protein shake (which is a snack meal replacement, basically) is perfectly acceptable. I go up into the 300s occasionally by adding kefir and banana to mine.

I use the Body Fortress Vanilla also and am sneaking it in a bunch of things lately including my morning coffee. Nobody says protein powder has to be used in shakes. :laugh:
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Could use soy milk if allergic to almond. Has fewer calories than 1% milk. I use 1 cup almond and 1/2 cup of water with my protein drink. If am out of almond use the soy (my daughter prefers soy to almond, I like the almond better).
  • scubabum52
    scubabum52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress Vanilla also; I usually use water and it isn't bad; the texture is a bit watery (which would be expected!), but the taste isn't too bad. I also take a shaker and powder with me when I travel; a good way to keep up the protein macros. When home, I will mix it with my oatmeal for breakfast which is very good.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with water, because I do not want the added milk calories.
    It's also more convenient than worrying about refrigerating milk during the day at work, etc.

Does it taste better with milk? Yes.
    Do I care enough to add those calories back in? No.

:)
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. You say that you want to cut back on cals from the milk, then ask if you should continue making it with milk.

um... ??? If you want to cut back on the milk cals, then yes, cut back on the milk. You could also cut out some berries if you wanted to reduce overall cals.

Personally I hate them with water, and have gotten so accustomed to making them with milk AND ice cream that milk-only shakes taste a little gross to me.

That would probably taste awesome.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I mix mine with water, because I do not want the added milk calories.
    It's also more convenient than worrying about refrigerating milk during the day at work, etc.

Does it taste better with milk? Yes.
    Do I care enough to add those calories back in? No.

:)

100% agreement! :happy:
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your nut allergies prohibit you from trying coconut milk. Only asked because I know folks have varying degrees of allergies. That said, if your protein power is tolerable, water is a decent option if you want to control addtional calories. Good luck
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'll do water if I'm in a hurry or milk if I'm making a blender smoothie with protein powder. If I want to "cut back" on the calories I'll do 1/2 a cup a milk however it really doesn't make a huge difference since I'm adding other stuff to the blender as well.

My after workout smoothie today was 400 calories.

If you use water and it's too watery just cut back on how much you use.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Fat free milk...and add a banana, pb, yogurt, instant coffee, vanilla, cinnamon or torani's s/f syrups.