Help! Gaining weight!

Options
Kacy
Kacy Posts: 43 Member
Help I'm gaining weight!!! Can't seem to stay within my calories, even with working out twice a day (at least a half hour in the am and hour in the pm). I eat salad on a low carb wrap with hummus for lunch and for breakfast i eat a smoothie made with fruit and yogurt. I have been having trouble staying away from treats for a week or so now, and have been having to eat away from home often. How do I say no, and get this weight off. Its come back soooo fast! How do people stay within their calories, I feel like I eat low calories and even on a good day when I don't have treats I can't stay in my calorie goal.

Replies

• GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    how much weight r u tryin 2 lose a wk? maybe u need 2 change it? i couldn't eat as many calories as it was tellin me too so i increased the weight i wanted to lose from 1lb to 2lbs a wk. & that seems 2 b workin. maybe u need 2 do the opposite?

also, have u looked at other foods to try? u can look at my diary & c what i'm eating (altho 2day isn't really a good day to look at. there's no way i'm gonna b able 2 eat as many calories as it wants me to) but look at my other days & u'll get an idea of what i'm eatin. i'm actually gonna increase my food intake such as eatin lottsa veggies & salads.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? I find I really have to eat protein with every meal, or I get really hungry. For example- for breakfast- I have Thomas' Bagel thins and 2 hard boiled eggs (each egg is 70 cals and really fill me up). I noticed you don't have much protein for breakfast or lunch. Maybe this would help?
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I agree. maybe only try to loose 1 lb or .5 lbs then you will have a calorie goal thats reasonable for you. When eating out it really is hard to stay within but eating at home it shouldn't be too tough if you are exercising. Are you eating enough in the morning?
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I had to actually increase what I was eating before I started loosing, I also had to make sure I had protein in the morning. I do like a fruit smoothie for breakfast, but when I do that I'll have a tbl spoon of p-nut butter or a piece of bacon. Any little bit of protein and I stay more full longer.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Options
    It's mental, not physical. Everything is a choice - choose to eat the treat or choose not to. Simply everything into a series of little choices, make the right choice 90%+ of the time and you'll do great.

I also mentally picture how many km's I'd have to run to burn off what I'm about to eat. If I'm eating on the go and at, say, McDonald's, I think of a big mac and then running 5k to burn it off and I say no thanks. I think of the little over 2k to burn off 6 chicken nuggets and I make that choice. Not perfect, but seeking perfection is difficult.
  • Kacy
    Kacy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I often have protein mix in my breakfast too. And I think I will try having a piece of chicken with my salad at lunch to see if that helps. I was only trying to maintain my weight, but in that process I have gained about 5-6lbs. Part of the problem is that I don't do a lot of my own cooking at dinner time (not eating out, just live with someone else who makes my evening meal for the next week or so). I do often think of what I will have to do to burn off the calories and that helps a bunch!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough protein? I find I really have to eat protein with every meal, or I get really hungry. For example- for breakfast- I have Thomas' Bagel thins and 2 hard boiled eggs (each egg is 70 cals and really fill me up). I noticed you don't have much protein for breakfast or lunch. Maybe this would help?

hard boiled eggs have been my savior!
  • dtraylor
    dtraylor Posts: 32
    Options
    After my run in the morning, I down 16oz of 2% lactose free milk and nuke a ham steak. Very quick 380 calories and 38g of protein (lots of sodium, 1300mg, for those sensitive to it, I'm not and I need to replenish anyway). Later in the morning if I'm snackish, I'll hit some veggies I bring to work in a baggie, and/or some frosted mini wheats. I choose not to eat out, instead bringing my lunch and eating dinner at home. Again, this is a choice that has to be made and followed if it is to be successful. I could easily be out eating and drinking every night, been there done that, and it will pack on the pounds. And of course I can't stress this enough, drink your water, lots of it, slowly. It will help to keep you feeling fuller and has many other benefits if you stay hydrated. Get a food scale to know what you are eating and a heart rate monitor to know what you are burning.

Don't give up! It really works if you are honest with yourself. :smile:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    eat eggs or egg whites for breakfast..my day all ways ends up better when i start with eggs- i eat less the entire day and dont feel hungery...eggs and apples are amazing..eggs in the morning and an apple before a meal. when i dont do this i go over- or almost over
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    eat eggs or egg whites for breakfast..my day all ways ends up better when i start with eggs- i eat less the entire day and dont feel hungery...eggs and apples are amazing..eggs in the morning and an apple before a meal. when i dont do this i go over- or almost over

i have to say, apples have also been my saviour. because i don't like crunchy apples, i buy unsweetened apple sauce. it is so cheap and really really filling with next to no cals and nothin but nutrition!
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Help I'm gaining weight!!! Can't seem to stay within my calories, even with working out twice a day (at least a half hour in the am and hour in the pm). I eat salad on a low carb wrap with hummus for lunch and for breakfast i eat a smoothie made with fruit and yogurt. I have been having trouble staying away from treats for a week or so now, and have been having to eat away from home often. How do I say no, and get this weight off. Its come back soooo fast! How do people stay within their calories, I feel like I eat low calories and even on a good day when I don't have treats I can't stay in my calorie goal.

I agree with some of the previous posters in saying that you may need to up your lean protein intake. It will help you feel fuller longer and will help you not crave all the goodies! Good luck!