HAVING A BAD DAY !!!!

Options
Well I have been on here for a few weeks now and have lost 4 lb, but so far this week my scales tell me I have put on 4lbs.:sad: .. I am a member of slimming world and have been trying the calorie counting as I thought it might be a little easier for me as I am not really a fruit & veg lover adn came to loath having to have 1/3 of each meal as such.... I thought I was doing Ok, but this week seems to be going to hell in a hand cart!!!!! :huh: I know some of my food diary inserts are not "clean choices" but I do try and plan them in and keep them in so I do not have bad binge days..... I am quite good with excersise, and try and do cardio nearly every day... I have read on here this could be water retention ( must admit leg muscles feel very tight!!) and I do feel fitter, but I would like the scales to go down rather than up... I have bad knee (arthritis and dry joint) so try to vary what workouts I do so as not to hurt them,. usually try for anout 45-60 mind per day with 1 day off ( is this enought?). I know I am probably feeling a little sorry for my self and will probably be ok in a bit but hey.. just thought others out there could share a few positive/helpful thoughts ...........and begin......:frown:

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    With a closed diary you will not recieve much assistance.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    eye dun no how ta anwer thiz
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Remember, no one said this would be easy. Hang in there. Weight goes up and down and left and right. Keep trucking.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try doing measurements along with your weight/scale.. Just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you haven't lost something inch wise.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you aren't used to working out, you could be gaining a bit of muscle, which could make you appear heavier on the scale. Also, depending upon when you weigh, what you've eaten recently, etc, it could very well be fluid retention. Don't let it get you down or derail your efforts. Focus on what you are doing (you are doing plenty of exercise), and on how you feel, and don't worry about the scale so much.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    We've all had bad days. :cry: You just have to pick yourself up and keep going. :wink:
  • Tllindsey47
    Tllindsey47 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you ARE doing the right things! Also, you are probably gaining muscle which will make your scale go up. Stay positive and don't give up!
    :)
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    Sodium is my biggest enemy when it comes to holding onto weight. Do not lose focus and do not beat yourself up. Think positive - eat well and drink lots of water. Think about what you could achieve.
  • txs78746
    txs78746 Posts: 24
    Options
    Water is very heavy. Cell retention and just keeping hydrated can throw off scale readings. Chances are it took you a while to put the weight on, it will take a while to get it back off. The extra lbs will, of course, suck but all is not lost. Look to average your readings over time and get a better feel for how you are doing. For example I weigh in every morning after hitting the restroom. I figure it will be the lightest I will be all day and that helps brighten the rest of my day. Of course if I ate too much pizza and beer the night before it can also ruin my day. Eat slightly less then you need, but healthy, and exercise and the weight will eventually come off. Keep at it!
  • jessicabell9461
    jessicabell9461 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd try drinking extra water and trying to avoid salty and processed foods. :)
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OP: Try not to watch the scale on more than a once-a-week basis; weight fluctuates, especially day-to-day. If you must check it more often, take the readings with a grain of salt (though too much sodium is bad for you. :P) If you are working out you are probably gaining a bit o' muscle mass to offset the weight lost from other sources though it is hard to tell unless you also take your 'girth' measurements. Either way, every step forward towards your goal is one in the right direction.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    You appeared to genuinely want some positive feed back. Maybe it is water weight from metabolizing the fat. Hang in there. As was said most of us have been there. Just don't quit. Some of us are here to be supportive.
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am with the others suggesting to use a tape measure and drink plenty of water. The scale is truly the last resort but it is the easy one so most of us flock to it and let it be our only source.

Keep up the good work and it will show.
  • sweetnana1
    sweetnana1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is the hardest thing to do and its a battle for a lifetime. I have found that if I watch my portion sizes I can stay on the program better than counting carbs or calories. Also I only weight my self once a week. I workout with walking six days a week and with weights twice a week. So far I have lost 39 pounds since July 2012. Keeping going don't stop even for bad days. The power is inside you. It took me 20 years of being overweight, but I finally found it. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Guys, I know it can be difficult to read posts with bad grammar... but remember English isn't everyone's first language, and not everyone has access to a great education. You have no idea WHY someone's grammar might be incorrect.

OP, as others have mentioned, it can be hard for us to give you specific advice with your diary closed. Water retention is very real, and both exercise and "unclean" eating cause it. 4lbs of water is nothing. I don't know if you're tracking it, but track your water. Get your 8 glasses a day.

You don't need to eat clean to lose body fat - however, unhealthy foods tend to be high in sodium. I know you're trying to make healthier choices, so keep making them. Try tracking your sodium and potassium. Potassium fights bloat and water retention. I think of it as balancing out sodium, so if I want to have a full-sodium soup or a cup of ramen or fast food, I'll make sure I also have a banana or a sweet potato that day.

Don't forget to also weigh yourself at the same time and in the same way every day - to get your lightest weight, do so in the morning, naked, before having eaten or drank anything and after going to the bathroom. I find this number to be a bit more consistent.

I think you are working out enough, but remember that strength training can be beneficial to weight loss as well by raising your metabolism - and what you really want to lose is body fat, not weight. Typically with a caloric deficit you also lose some muscle mass.

I'm certain you didn't really put on 4lbs this week! Good luck in your continuing weight loss, keep your head up, and try to shift your focus away from the scale. :)
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU..... this is to all who kindly passed on positive replies :flowerforyou: Tomorrow is another day and I WILL pick myself up, dust myself down and start all over again...:drinker: Thanks again, I knew there were some friendly folk out there.