has anybody lost weight by cutting out meat?

Options
Hi all, I hardly post here but im looking for some advice. Im considering of cutting out all kinds of meat (except fish), as I think all the meat sold in the supermarket is full of chemicals, unless you buy organic stuff which is 5 times the price. Has anyone tried this and has it had any advantages/disadvantages?
thanks

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So do you want to cut out meat to lose weight or for perceived health/cost reasons?

Cutting out meat is not necessary for weight loss.

There are plenty of people out there who don't eat meat. They're called vegetarians.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/219-mfp-vegetarians
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    cosby_weiner.gif
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat four years ago for no reason other than the animal/ethics issue. Before going veg, I ate a lot of processed meat products, fast food and put bacon on pretty much anything that would sit still on a plate. After going vegetarian I still ate like crap – processed junk food, oreo's, potato chips, kraft dinner, etc. – that is to say, in no way adopting healthier eating habits or monitoring calories. I lost 30 pounds in the first year of being vegetarian. Whether that was because I wasn't eating meat or because I wasn't eating processed meats/fast foods there is simply no way to know. Kind of an ambiguous answer but that's my personal experience with vegetarianism/weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lost by cutting out meat. I was eating according to macrobiotic principals, which recommends little to no meat, for a while. Eating according to their rules, I lost weight while I felt like I was overeating. No calorie counting or starving. In fact, I wasn't even eating that way to lose weight. It was a health thing. At that time I was the most fit I'd been in my adult life, except perhaps for now. But I was also exercising regularly, as that is part of the plan.

Honestly, the only problem I had was personal. I just don't have the personal dicipline to stick to any restrictive diet long term.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cutting out meat isn't really a good way to lose weight. I know plenty of fat vegetarians/vegans. Unless you really want to do it for personal / ethical reasons, you are probably better off buying your meat from a butcher rather than a supermarket and eating good quality stuff less often. If you do want to do it for reasons other than losing weight then I'd say go for it, I'm not going to say don't do it. Just pointing out that it's not a recipe for weight loss.

Don't tell my vegan friends I said that, they'll beat me with fried tofu and force feed me vegan cakes. On the other hand... the cakes are pretty good.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it for weight loss reasons or general health reasons?

Cutting out meat (or anything, for that matter) isn't necessary to lose weight. Weight loss is about calorie deficit and has nothing to do with the "quality" of those calories.

Overall health is a completely different subject.
  • dgljones
    dgljones Posts: 89
    Options
    Yep am down 139 lbs, went to veg with fish to vegan with very occasional fish to straight up vegan.
    However it is not to do with not eating meat, I still eat protein in the place of meat and I could do a similar diet, with similar results with wisely chosen and prepared meat if I wanted to. I just don't want to.
    The trick isn't not eating meat, it is building your meals around varied vegetables. At least two thirds of my major meal, sometimes more, is vegetables. Then add the lean protein, whole grains and any fats. Start with vegetables and you won't go far wrong. There are plenty of overweight vegans because they make a huge plate of pasta smothered in tomato sauce with 'vege meatballs' with a large vegan cookie and a soy latte for dessert and think they are doing better than someone who had a baked chicken with broccoli brown rice and a big salad.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between cutting out meat to lose weight and cutting out meat because of perceived health benefits. You won't lose weight just because you cut out meat. That's calories in/calories out and your body really doesn't care if you eat meat or lentils.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I hardly post here but im looking for some advice. Im considering of cutting out all kinds of meat (except fish), as I think all the meat sold in the supermarket is full of chemicals, unless you buy organic stuff which is 5 times the price. Has anyone tried this and has it had any advantages/disadvantages?
    thanks

there is no weight loss advantage
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    I cut out red meat in July of last year. Mostly, it was to give myself a challenge and something to focus on besides "losing weight". It gave me a small victory each day in order keep myself charged up. I agree with the earlier poster, that it comes down to calories. I think 100 calories of chicken and 100 calories of steak, are 100 calories.

I will warn you, it's challenging and costly.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    First, a lot of foods have chemicals. And you are right, grass fed beef is more expensive. Is it worth it? I think so. I am not saying vegetarians can't lose weight, or they are bad, I am simply saying that organically raised beef, pork and chicken is a great source of protein. Beside, most of us only need about 4 oz of meat for a meal.
  • nyroeon
    nyroeon Posts: 14
    Options
    I went vegetarian six years ago and did lose a little weight because of it. (I was maybe 10-15lbs overweight.) Still vegetarian: I have gained back a lot of the weight from a sedentary lifestyle, but my body's overall size has remained smaller. My two cents are: don't go vegetarian/vegan unless you are passionate about the lifestyle. There are better ways to lose weight than to cut out meat.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I gave up meat for lent just to see if I could do it. Unfortunately I haven't seen the benefit of weight loss but I have also not been exercising like I should due to a very sick child, but I haven't gained either. I could never do this permanently (love a cheeseburger every now and then) but I wanted to try it for a short period of time. I have noticed that I have been having trouble finding good foods to replace when I would normally eat meat. For example at lunch when I would normally have had a simple sandwich with turkey I have been having soup which is loaded in salt. I also find that I become hungrier faster too. I could never eat tofu the look of it turns me off. I am counting down the days till when lent is over and then I am having a steak.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before I cut out meat. Since I cut out meat in December 2012 I have stayed the same. For me personally it hasn't made any difference.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If the cost of organic meat is your issue, try finding local sources for it. You will be supporting a local farmer, your local economy, and putting your money towards sustainable and humane farming practices. The meat will be healthier for you as well and you'll be happy knowing that the animal was treated well and butchered with respect.

www.eatwild.com

Use the link above to find local sources for food. Buy in bulk. You can get grass-fed beef for half the price per pound if you buy a 1/4 or side.

Or eliminate meats if that floats your boat. Just wanted to share that you can buy good meat at a lower cost if you try.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 2 years for "health" reasons but ended up discovering I had a gluten allergy so I ended up going back to a meat and veggie diet (I call it paleo!)...so I've actually lost weight and gained incredible health benefits from eating lots of meat (bacon! comes to bind) rather than being vegetarian.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/shocking-the-numbers-dont-lie-vegetarian-to-paleo-comparison-423960

And I try my best to buy all natural, organic, humanly raised meats---its more pricey but you can pay the farmer now or the physicians later. IMO
  • Ritaleslie
    Ritaleslie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Please don't cut out a meal -- this really slows down your metabolism. It's okay to reduce meal sizes -- Metabolically speaking it is very important to give your body something every two hours to increase its rate. But if you eat a large meal, its okay to extend that time somewhat.:wink:
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat four years ago for no reason other than the animal/ethics issue. Before going veg, I ate a lot of processed meat products, fast food and put bacon on pretty much anything that would sit still on a plate. After going vegetarian I still ate like crap – processed junk food, oreo's, potato chips, kraft dinner, etc. – that is to say, in no way adopting healthier eating habits or monitoring calories. I lost 30 pounds in the first year of being vegetarian. Whether that was because I wasn't eating meat or because I wasn't eating processed meats/fast foods there is simply no way to know. Kind of an ambiguous answer but that's my personal experience with vegetarianism/weight loss.

This is similar to me. However, I did not do it for ethical reasons, because...my dad is a butcher. So, I did it to be healthier. Found i was HUNGRY a lot. I was a veg for 6 years. I lost weight the first year, but found i was just replacing what calories i got with meat with garbage food. Any my cholestoral went up ect and I got to my HEAVIEST. So I eat meat again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you're going to become a vegetarian, make sure you do your research on how to get the proper nutrition you'll be missing from giving up meat. It's obviously doable, but a lot of people go vegetarian and have no idea what they're doing and how to replace the nutrients from eating meat.

Also, vegetarian =/= weight loss necessarily. One of my wife's friends has been a vegetarian for about 3 years and she is very obese. While she doesn't eat meat, she can still shovel in some food.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Please don't cut out a meal -- this really slows down your metabolism. It's okay to reduce meal sizes -- Metabolically speaking it is very important to give your body something every two hours to increase its rate. But if you eat a large meal, its okay to extend that time somewhat.:wink:

Really? Where did you get this fact?