Tell me about your gym's chilcare

Options
Hello. I'm pretty new here and thus far have been focusing on diet and logging but now I want to increase activity. I've been wanting to join a gym for awhile, but I would need one with childcare for my two year old. I don't know why but I'm scared to take him there! Have your kids enjoyed it there, is it clean and safe? What is the cost? Any info would be appreciated :)

Replies

• jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm pretty new here and thus far have been focusing on diet and logging but now I want to increase activity. I've been wanting to join a gym for awhile, but I would need one with childcare for my two year old. I don't know why but I'm scared to take him there! Have your kids enjoyed it there, is it clean and safe? What is the cost? Any info would be appreciated :)
    I go to a World's Gym where the monthly cost for gym membership is $10.

Childcare there is either $10/month for "unlimited" use, or $3 per each time you use it.

With 2 kids we are basically paying $500/year for our gym membership, not terrible for what we get out of it.

The actual childcare is pretty limited. More or less a babysitter. They have a TV with "disney jr" on basically all the time, and you can only leave your kids in there for 70 minutes before someone will come fetch you from the gym floor to pick up your kids.

Not a terrible deal, especially since my wife is there normally 3x a week.
  • EponaBlue
    EponaBlue Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That sounds very reasonable to me! I don't believe we have World's Gym in my area (Scottsdale/Phoenix, AZ). We've got 24 hour fitness, LA fitness, Mountainside Fitness. Thanks for responding!
  • EponaBlue
    Options
    Anyone else take their kiddos to the gym??
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't.. very fortunate to have someone at home take care of the kiddos HOWEVER, I have used these childcare services in the past and it usually ranges from $4-5 per hour or $10 for 10 times.

My oldest was the only one around a few years back when I used the gym's childcare.. he liked it but there wasn't a lot of children his age. You can always try a test day and take a peek (to satisfy that motherly instinct) at what is going on and go from there.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Since youre in phoenix its probably a bit more expensive but worth it on the childcare side is Lifetime. Tho the one in scottsdale can get a little crowded. I used to go there but it just got too expensive for me. I work out at the 24 hour fitness in scottsfdale near keirland and its basically just a room with some toys just enough to keep them occupied. Also 24 fitness has started charging 5 dollars per visit I believe so I only bring my 5 yo there if I really have to. I love 24 fitness to workout at but the childcare leaves something to be desired
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    golds gym 29 a month and child care is included for up to 2 hours ..its clean and the people are nice and my daughter has made friends
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think each gym is different. My daughter actually enjoys the daycare as much as she enjoys the swimming! I only have her spend an hour at a time there, followed by the pool. They do activities and have other kids her age so that makes the difference. One of the girls there once braided her hair. I thought that was sweet :) It is REALLY clean. I don't smell that "daycare odor", which makes me happy.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My kids are too old for daycare but the YMCA offers free child care up to 3 hours a day. Look into them if you live near a Y. Mine enjoyed going when they were young. You have to tell them what part of the Y your going to be in so they know where to contact you.
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old loves the daycare at our gym and begs me to go to the gym so she can hang out with her friends. Most of the kids seem happy, with the exception of the occasionally clingy little one.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Hi! My gym is actually the fitness center for our local Hospital. We pay about $60 a month for a family membership and the childcare is included. We take our kids every week with no problem at all. They don't change dippers or assist with the "potty time", so we have to change diapers and clean "bottoms" as needed. The room is very clean, it has 3 Wii consoles for the older kids, many toys, coloring books, and a tv. They also have swimming and boot camp classes for the kids. The only problem that we sometimes have is the childcare hours ; M-W: 8-12 and 3 to 8:30, TH: 8-12 and 3 to 7:30, F: 8-12 and 3 to 6, Sat: 8 to 11. No Saturday afternoons or Sunday. Hope it helps. Good Luck.
  • EponaBlue
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. I will check into all the options in my area. The cost is worth it to me but I was hoping my son might enjoy the time too so that I don't have mommy guilt! Thanks again :)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You just have to do some research in your area, each area is different.

We go to the Y, and they have a huge climbing structure for kids 3+, a small one for 2+. To go to a seperate place with one of those climbing structures costs me $5 a child each time. So I get to put my kids in child care and they get to go play and get exercise too, it's awesome. They also have a regular room and do crafts. Today they made rainbows with pots of gold. They call you to change poopy diapers and there's no food allowed, except bottles. My kids love it and love the teachers there. Some of the other y's have different setups, ours is the only one with the giant structure but they are all good. We have a limit of 2 hours a day.

We pay for a husband wife membership which includes the daycare 105 a month. If we did family, which would include swimming lessons, 115 a month. We are in Minnesota.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    omg my 3 year old loves the gym daycare so much she cries when its time to leave. So i workout for a long time those nights.

I pay 20 a month and the daycare is free. amazing!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I take my 8 year old and 3 year old to my Sport and Health. It is very clean, the girls that work there know my kids by their first names. My kids get very excited when we tell them we're going there. We pay an extra $14 per month total for their membership, which covers a maximum of 2 hours per day.
  • EponaBlue
    Options
    omg my 3 year old loves the gym daycare so much she cries when its time to leave. So i workout for a long time those nights.

I pay 20 a month and the daycare is free. amazing!

And where might that be? Is it a chain?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My son love the child care at our gym. My sister's Gold's Gym is $15/per month for child care and she can't say enough good things about it.
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I take my 2yr old to the YMCA, It's free with membership (2 hours her day free)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    My gym has lockers.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My gym is a local place (only two of them, both in town). The kids I babysit go there with their parents and I know they love it.

The coolest thing that they do - is they have a "Parents Night Out" once a month... where you can drop your kids off for 3 - 4 hours and have a night out... and it's free/included in your membership.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My gym has lockers.

WINNER!!!