people's comments

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
so, i have always been the "skinny" person. however, i started on my weight loss journey because i was unhealthy, and had gained weight over the years. when i started, about a year ago, on my weight loss journey everyone made ridiculous comments to me about how i don't need to work out and how i don't need to be healthy. all of them trying to force feed me, repetitively asking if i wanted to eat something, discouraging me from going for a healthy run or doing any exercise.

and then this week i visited my old job. i am pretty much at the same weight i was one year ago, however, i am much healthier. i eat healthier portions and i don't eat nearly as much junk. all of my old clients, well not all but most, stated that i had gained weight. one woman implied i might have something special along the way, others say i look totally different, others said i have gained weight, and one woman actually made a comment "well maybe you would be at a better weight if..."

i was shocked, my self esteem is through the floor, and i dont know what is wrong with these people. for the first time in my life i am being criticized for my weight and i really dont know why. i would never, ever, ever, tell a friend that they had put on weight if it was unneccesary. the only time i can even think of bringing something up is if i was worried for someones health. i weigh 145 lbs and am 5'10".

wtf :(

Replies

• jean51
    jean51 Posts: 29
    Options
    :mad: wtf is right .. don't let those people discourge you from you goals of getting heathy. :bigsmile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Those people are incredibly insensitive. And it's not their place to speak (whether or not you're a different weight). Keep on your healthy track, keep eating right and staying fit and know if nothing else, you've always got us here. And we'll always tell the truth. And the truth is - you look great!! :happy:

Now if only you could find some burly MFPers near home to go smack some sense into those clients ... :wink:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Wow, isn't it amazing how rude people can be? I'm only 5'6" and would be thrilled to be 145 lbs.! I'm sure you look amazing and even if others don't think so, you're doing the right thing by being healthy for you. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    One word..."jealousy"...amazing how people like that becomes your nutritionist...unbelievable!

B
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    145 at 5'10" there is no way that is heavy, fat, what ever you want to say. That is a few pounds more than me at the same height and I am getting the whole talkin to from people telling met that I'm too skinny.
    Brush it off girl! F 'em!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pff. It's so annoying (/frustrating/infuriating/painful) when people do that. It seems to me like everyone's trying to tear you down from where you've gotten in doing all this healthy living--don't let them do that! Just keep focused on your goal of being the healthiest you can be and disregard what they have to say, since it's probably not true, just motivated by jealousy.

Keep up the awesome work!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Try not to let it get to you. I know that it is hard to do that but they are really not worth your time. There are people like that out there that do that crap just to make you feel bad and tear you down. I have people like that in my life I try really hard to brush it off and tell myself they just do it because they are jealous because I am getting healthy and bettering myself and they are staying the same. :flowerforyou:
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I'm 5'10 and my goal weight is 160 where I think I'll look svelte and hot.

There are always negative people in the world. I find the best way to handle them is to put them on the spot by continually looking at them quizzically and saying why on earth would you say that.

Just keep your own goals in mind.

Peace.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Take a big old happy group picture now, and then again in 5 years when they are 20lbs heavier and look 15 years older and you look glowing and healthy and even younger then you do now. :)
  • chalayne
    chalayne Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm glad that was at your "old job" and you don't have to see those people all the time. BTW - real friends wouldn't say tacky things to you like that.

Keep up the good work!!!!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i want to thank all of you so much for your comments

people are insensitive and rude, and whatever they are saying is obviously motivated by some form of negative energy.

one other thing, yesterday my bf and i were watching tv, and there was one of those weight loss commercials and this girl was 125 lbs and i was like "whoa that is so skinny" and he is like "not really, you can weigh that much". and while it wasn't horribly rude, for him to think i can just lose 20 lbs off my already worked out body is crazy.

you guys rock because you know what i am going through. that is why this website is so great, it brings people together about a really hard and socially unstable issue: weight, health, and self-esteem about these issues.

thanks again! i am actually inspired to go for a nice long bike ride now :smile:
  • correen_b
    correen_b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mother always taught me if I didn't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all. It is downright scary the amount of people out there who do not think before speaking. I agree with the jealousy theory mentioned earlier. Feel good for doing what is right for you and feel sad for those who have to say obnoxious things to try to make themselves feel better.

Keep up the good work!!:flowerforyou:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I'd be thrilled to be 145 (yes, I know it is still overweight for me). You are not overweight at all!

I don't know what gets into people. And I am amazed that people told you that you don't need to eat healthy!
  • tamalea
    tamalea Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder, are all these people who made comments a healthy body weight? How easy it is to hide insecrurities behind a smile and a snide remark. You are accomplishing what they only wish, you have obviously given them reason to feel insecure in their own skin. You go girl