Fell off the Wagon (atkins related)

The Atkins Wagon...
Officially off the Wagon :embarassed: I'm thinking of not doing atkins for awhile, I have been trying to do it since January now and can't stick with it, I just get tired of eating the same old thing, I know it works because I did lose 50 lbs 4 years ago but for some reason I just can't stick to it, I watched the Biggest Loser yesterday which did motivate me to workout but if they can lose weight by watching what they eat and excercising then I should be able to as well, Right!? I have never had much luck with WW or eating "healthy" which is why I have been desperately trying to do atkins, I think I am gonna take a day or 2 off and read my biggest loser fitness book, I just don't know what to do besides exercise..BTW-Thanx for letting me vent, my Fiance' just doesn't get it and thinks its so easy to lose weight, he's skinny :grumble:

STRESSED!!! :huh: :noway:

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The reason you "fell off the wagon" is because you're trying to do a restrictive diet. Simply cut down on portion sizes and track your food so that you're in a slight* Caloric deficit.

* I don't know how much you have to lose, but a 1/2 to 1 lb per week goal, which would mean 250-500 Cals per day deficit, is reasonable for most people.
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    I agree with Guitar Jerry besides atkins isn't sustainable over a long term
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    IMHO, you are doing the right thing ditching Atkin's... it might work for the short term but it's not sustainable, as you have discovered. As you already know you should exercise and you are here (on MFP), I think you are doing everything you need to IF you follow the program. One of the things I liked about the MFP plan is that nothing is off the table, you can have it... just log it. Take care and don't forget to breathe.
  • dalesd
    dalesd Posts: 10 Member
    sgmomma, how long is long term to you? I've been eating very low carb for 10 months now with great success.
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    The reason you "fell off the wagon" is because you're trying to do a restrictive diet. Simply cut down on portion sizes and track your food so that you're in a slight* Caloric deficit.

* I don't know how much you have to lose, but a 1/2 to 1 lb per week goal, which would mean 250-500 Cals per day deficit, is reasonable for most people.

Ditto. I was on atkins like last month and felt like crap. Now, I eat carbs mostly coming from fruits but yea I eat carbs and don't stress it. I try to balance my meals and do exercise now. Please don't do diets, just do calories in and out. There is no secret and macros are important in a sense but calories is what gets the long term results. Think about eggs and bacon over fruit? Can't be good for your heart and when I was on it, I felt chest pressure. Hey, do what makes you feel healthier. 3500 kills a pound of fat, so that's all that matters.
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    t's about changing the way you eat. I am doing it very slowly. And yes i have fallen off the wagon to, a lot of people do. I try to find better substites for some of my favorite foods. Good luck. You can do this, but it will take time and effort, and yes we all fall off the wagon. Dont beat yourself up, just start again....
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    dalesd

do you intend to eat that way for the rest of your life? i'd much rather focus on learning to eat healthy then following something strict like that forever...and because atkins is certain restrictions you are more likely to gain the weight back when you go back to "eating normal"
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    They eky to all of this is, there is no wagon. It is a life long learning process for life long fitness. You might find things that work for a time and then your needs, mood, attitude, or interests change and you have to change up things.

That's it. There is no wagon.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Eat foods that you like, stay in your calorie range, exercise. That's as complicated as it needs to be.
  • The Atkins Wagon...
    Officially off the Wagon :embarassed: I'm thinking of not doing atkins for awhile, I have been trying to do it since January now and can't stick with it, I just get tired of eating the same old thing, I know it works because I did lose 50 lbs 4 years ago but for some reason I just can't stick to it, I watched the Biggest Loser yesterday which did motivate me to workout but if they can lose weight by watching what they eat and excercising then I should be able to as well, Right!? I have never had much luck with WW or eating "healthy" which is why I have been desperately trying to do atkins, I think I am gonna take a day or 2 off and read my biggest loser fitness book, I just don't know what to do besides exercise..BTW-Thanx for letting me vent, my Fiance' just doesn't get it and thinks its so easy to lose weight, he's skinny :grumble:

STRESSED!!! :huh: :noway:

I really love the benefits of cutting carbs, so I just simply decrease them in my diet. Rather than extreme reduction I try to keep it below 40% of my calories. Which naturally encourages me to eat more protein, which I have trouble eating for some reason, it's never something I crave really.

I was just simply counting calories until I hit my first plateau, then I did some research, determined my TDEE and decided on a low carb diet to try and get me over the slump. I started to lose again immediately, even though I'm eating 200-400 calories more a day. ... and exercising less because I'm injured.

Don't focus on the motivation you have lost before, and focus more on how much closer you are getting to having the right, sustainable lifestyle for you. Maybe try easing back into less carbs, and just focus on steps rather than just throwing yourself completely into something you are worried you might just fall out of.

You can do it!!
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Atkins can make you lose weight but its not a diet to maintain for the rest of your life. Every single person that I know who tried atkins and lost weight (big or small) regained all the weight back and more. You have to figure out a well balanced diet that you can sustain for the rest of your life to keep the weight off.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    There are a lot of people who do an Atkins type diet for life and don't find it restrictive at all, if you like those foods. Most of the people who do Atkins actually have improvements in cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure just like eating any other diet and losing weight. The thing about low carb is it's definitely not for a short-term fix. It has to be a lifestyle change you are willing to do forever or you will just gain the weight back if you go back to carbs. If you get bored with it or don't feel like you could eventually stay with it for good, I wouldn't do it either! That's a lifestyle change you have to be committed to!!
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    If you enjoy an atkins-like diet, an easier way to do it is FORGET THE RULES. Just stop eating all processed foods. That includes flour, bread, pasta, rice, etc. Anything processed. What that leaves you with really is all meats, veggies, nuts, fruits, and that about it. Cuts out all the crap. Have dairy if you want, your call. I dont' care either way.

But, for Petes sake, don't call it anything. Just eat that way. It's kind of the same thing, but now it's not a diet, it's just eating helthful food. Also, allow fun food that you just like, such as pizza once a week or soemthing. Don't do unrealistic diets. Just eat clean good food.

basically how I have been eating...except my fun food is wine and pasta. haha. But I feel fantastic. I did herbal magic and it was a huge expensive failure.
  • dalesd
    dalesd Posts: 10 Member
    dalesd

do you intend to eat that way for the rest of your life? i'd much rather focus on learning to eat healthy then following something strict like that forever...and because atkins is certain restrictions you are more likely to gain the weight back when you go back to "eating normal"

First of all, this *is* healthy. I eat lots of vegetables. My bloodwork is excellent.

I see no reason to go back to a high carb lifestyle. When I reach my target weight, I'll keep eating the same, just more.

As a long distance cyclist, I don't want to give up the advantage of a ketoadapted metabolism.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    If you enjoy an atkins-like diet, an easier way to do it is FORGET THE RULES. Just stop eating all processed foods. That includes flour, bread, pasta, rice, etc. Anything processed. What that leaves you with really is all meats, veggies, nuts, fruits, and that about it. Cuts out all the crap. Have dairy if you want, your call. I dont' care either way.

But, for Petes sake, don't call it anything. Just eat that way. It's kind of the same thing, but now it's not a diet, it's just eating helthful food. Also, allow fun food that you just like, such as pizza once a week or soemthing. Don't do unrealistic diets. Just eat clean good food.

Great statement Jerry! I agree! Ive been doing low carb myself for MONTHS and can't seem to get past those few "non-Atkins" foods that I love. This is the approach I am going to start following too. Stop stressing the carbs so much and just eat cleaner.
  • I fell off the healthy eating wagon and gained just as much as when I fell off the low carb wagon.

Eating this way is only as repetitive as you make it - it just takes practice and enthusiasm to get it right!

Personally I am more likely to binge on a "healthy eating diet" because I end up choosing 90% carbs (all fruit and wholegrans) thinking so long as i'm under 1500 cals then it's all number crunching - but 9/10 i go over those cals because the more carby crap i eat the more i crave and i don't lose weight because i'm on a constant binge mission!

I you honestly think low carbing isn't for you then that's fine - but i wish people wouldn't blame the diet itself when it's the person who "failed" not the eating plan.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though x
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Atkins is sustainable long term. It's not a lifetime of induction level carbs, which is where most people fail - they never add back carbs slowly to reach their own personal limit. I'm up to 25% carbs and will probably end up around 35- 40% since my carb tolerance is better now that I'm way more active.

That said, unless you have serious issues with handling a number of carbs I don't see the point of going thru the whole restriction and elimination process of low carb.

Best wishes in your weight loss.