Beer...

Options
I love beer, has anyone had success still drinking and losing weight? I do workout and have a job that i do quite a bit of walking/lifting all day. As long as I count the beer towards my calorie intake do you think I'll be okay?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying the stuff since I started this thing.

It's possible.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    YUP!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Yes...but my consumption has dramatically decreased. It's actually really hard right now because we're getting and early dose of spring with the time change...all I want to do is go sit on my patio and drink copious amounts of beer in the evening while I cook meat on the grill. Major spring fever going on.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh beer. I love it too much I'd say. I've had success with drinking beer by planning ahead and logging it so it fits in my day. Problem is, those are empty calories so you are eating less throughout the day, and who doesn't get hungry when they drink? If you're aware of that and are prepared, there's no reason you can't still be successful.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    As long as you include it and don't go over you should still be able to lose.
  • angiehowes
    angiehowes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    WINE! :-) My go to rather than cocktails.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go through stages. I always include it into my diary but sometimes I don't see a difference in my weight loss and other times I do. If I hit a stall, I stop drinking again and my weight loss usually picks back up. I've learned to deal with it, but summer is going to be hard!!
  • jcreighton48
    jcreighton48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes...but my consumption has dramatically decreased. It's actually really hard right now because we're getting and early dose of spring with the time change...all I want to do is go sit on my patio and drink copious amounts of beer in the evening while I cook meat on the grill. Major spring fever going on.

I know exactly what you're saying, the snow is on the brink of leaving one of these days...Can't wait to crack a few open grilling up some steak and potatoes!
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    You can totally lose weight while drinking!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921427-eating-pop-tarts-and-ice-cream-daily

How healthy is it? That's a different question and depends on how much you drink.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,295 Member
    Options
    You can do it but just know that alcohol is empty calories not doing your body any good.

A good strategy is to eat food for your allocated calories, and use the exercise calories for a beer or two.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can do it but just know that alcohol is empty calories not doing your body any good.

A good strategy is to eat food for your allocated calories, and use the exercise calories for a beer or two.

Beer is not empty calories. It has significant health benefits

From Men's Health magazine:

The best brews pack more than a heady buzz—they improve your health, too
    By Matt Bean, Posted Date: October 25, 2010

inShare

Beer makes you feel good. You knew that. But you don't realize just how good. Recent research has revealed bioactive compounds in beer that battle cancer, boost your metabolism, and more. And these benefits come on top of the oft-touted upsides of moderate alcohol intake: clot prevention, cleaner arteries, and reduced stress. We set out with a stack of studies, a panel of parched testers, and a full fridge to find the best-tasting, healthiest brews available. Enjoy. (For more smart drink options, pick up a copy of Drink This, Not That!)

Best Hops Delivery Vehicle
    Avery Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale

Hops help cut the sweetness in a beer, delivering a crisp citrus-and-pine kick to the back of your tongue. But the cone-shaped hops flower is more than just a flavor savior. Researchers have shown that it's also a significant source of cholesterol-lowering, cancer-fighting, and virus-killing compounds called polyphenols. What's more, "Just one 12-ounce beer a day decreased fibrinogen, a clotting factor, and increased albumin, which is very important for protein metabolism," says Shela Gorinstein, Ph.D., a researcher at Jerusalem's Hebrew University and the author of a 2007 study on the bioactivity of beer. In our taste test, the winner was a smooth, fruity India Pale Ale (IPA) brewed with 8 pounds of hops per barrel. It boasts 80 times the hops of a mass-market lager.

From the Natinal institute of health:

Nutritional and health benefits of beer.
    Denke MA.
    Source
    Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Veterans Health Administration North Texas Health Care System, USA. mdenke@ednet.swmed.edu
    Abstract
    Physicians should be aware of the growing evidence supporting the nutritional and health benefits of moderate consumption of alcohol as part of a healthy lifestyle. The recently approved voluntary label on wine ("the proud people who made this wine encourage you to consult your family doctor about the health effects of wine consumption") implies that physicians should promote wine as the preferred source of dietary alcohol. However, studies evaluating the relative benefits of wine versus beer versus spirits suggest that moderate consumption of any alcoholic beverage is associated with lower rates of cardiovascular disease. From a nutritional standpoint, beer contains more protein and B vitamins than wine. The antioxidant content of beer is equivalent to that of wine, but the specific antioxidants are different because the barley and hops used in the production of beer contain flavonoids different from those in the grapes used in the production of wine. The benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have not been generally endorsed by physicians for fear that heavy consumers may consider any message as a permissive license to drink in excess. Discussions with patients regarding alcohol consumption should be made in the context of a general medical examination. There is no evidence to support endorsement of one type of alcoholic beverage over another. The physician should define moderate drinking (1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men) for the patient and should review consumption patterns associated with high risk.
    PMID: 11093684 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    The following toggler user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control
    MeSH Terms
    The following toggler user interface control may not be accessible. Tab to the next button to revert the control to an accessible version.Destroy user interface control
    LinkOut - more resources
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I know exactly what you're saying, the snow is on the brink of leaving one of these days...Can't wait to crack a few open grilling up some steak and potatoes!

Ugh, you guys are making it tough to be crammed inside of a cubicle right now.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,295 Member
    Options

Beer is not empty calories. It has significant health benefits

From Men's Health magazine:

The best brews pack more than a heady buzz—they improve your health, too
    By Matt Bean, Posted Date: October 25, 2010

inShare

Beer makes you feel good. You knew that. But you don't realize just how good. Recent research has revealed bioactive compounds in beer that battle cancer, boost your metabolism, and more. And these benefits come on top of the oft-touted upsides of moderate alcohol intake: clot prevention, cleaner arteries, and reduced stress. We set out with a stack of studies, a panel of parched testers, and a full fridge to find the best-tasting, healthiest brews available. Enjoy. (For more smart drink options, pick up a copy of Drink This, Not That!)

Best Hops Delivery Vehicle
    Avery Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale

Hops help cut the sweetness in a beer, delivering a crisp citrus-and-pine kick to the back of your tongue. But the cone-shaped hops flower is more than just a flavor savior. Researchers have shown that it's also a significant source of cholesterol-lowering, cancer-fighting, and virus-killing compounds called polyphenols. What's more, "Just one 12-ounce beer a day decreased fibrinogen, a clotting factor, and increased albumin, which is very important for protein metabolism," says Shela Gorinstein, Ph.D., a researcher at Jerusalem's Hebrew University and the author of a 2007 study on the bioactivity of beer. In our taste test, the winner was a smooth, fruity India Pale Ale (IPA) brewed with 8 pounds of hops per barrel. It boasts 80 times the hops of a mass-market lager.

Great, but I said alcohol is empty calories.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Not to mention, it's usually only darker beers or beers with sediment that contain the really healthy stuff, which is not what most people drink. Brewers yeast is not found in a Bud, in amounts that make a difference.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking beer and/or wine every day. But I'm playing games to cut back, like pouring 1/3 of a 12 oz. beer into a 5 oz. high ball glass (looks full). Then the rest goes back in the fridge. I sip on that for as long as possible and then go back to the fridge and do the same thing two more times. That slows down my consumption a lot and psychologically it feels like I had 3 drinks instead of just one. Same thing with wine - just pour 4 oz. (1/2 cup) glasses at a time. When I reach my calorie limit I stop. I never thought I'd have the will power to do that but it's working for me. I'm 3 months into this and I've lost 15 lbs. so far.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Great, but I said alcohol is empty calories.

Please define what you call empty calories. Alcohol in and of itself has benefits for your health. Therefore the calories are not empty. In fact given the benefits below I'd say the opposite is true

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html (excerpts below)

Longevity
    Moderate drinkers tend to live longer than those who either abstain or drink heavily.

General Health
    Moderate drinkers tend to enjoy better health than do either abstainers or heavy drinkers.

Heart Health
    Medical research has demonstrated a strong relationship between moderate alcohol consumption and reduction in cardiovascular disease in general and coronary artery disease in particular.41

Moderate Drinkers are Less Likely to Suffer Coronary Heart Disease and Heart Attacks (Acute Myocardial Infarctions) than are Abstainers or Heavy Drinkers.

The Moderate Consumption of Alcohol Increases the Survivability of Heart Attacks

Alcohol Abstainers Who Begin Drinking Reduce Their Risk of Cardiovascular Disease

Frequent Drinkers Enjoy Greater Heart-Health Benefits than Those Who Drink Less Often

Exercising Can't Replace Benefits of Drinking in Moderation

ModeResearchers at the National Institute of Public Health in Denmark studied about 12,000 men and women over a period of 20 years. The investigators found:
    Moderate Drinking vs. LifestyleThe lowest risk of fatal heart disease occurred among those who both drank moderately and exercised. They had a 50% reduced risk compared to non-drinkers who didn't exercise. (Moderate drinking was defined as consuming an average of up to two drinks per day for both men and women. This is twice as high as the US federal recommendation for women.)

A higher risk was found among (a) those who abstained from alcohol but exercised and (b) those who drank in moderation but didn't exercise. In both cases the risk of heart disease dropped about 30% compared to abstaining non-exercisers.
    The highest risk was found among those who neither drank nor exercised. Their risk of dying from heart disease was twice as high as those who drank moderately and exercisedration

Why drink to reduce the risk of heart disease? Wouldn't eating a good diet, exercising, and losing weight do the same thing? No, it wouldn't. The moderate consumption of alcohol appears to be more effective than most other lifestyle changes that are used to lower the risk of heart and other diseases. For example, the average person would need to follow a very strict low-fat diet, exercise vigorously on a regular basis, eliminate salt from the diet, lose a substantial amount of weight, and probably begin medication in order to lower cholesterol by 30 points or blood pressure by 20 points.
    But medical research suggests that alcohol can have a greater impact on heart disease than even these hard-won reductions in cholesterol levels or blood pressure. Only cessation of smoking is more effective.
    Additionally, other medical research suggests that adding alcohol to a healthful diet is more effective than just following the diet alone.71

How Alcohol Promotes Good Heart Health

The moderate consumption of alcohol promotes good heart health in a number of ways, including the following:

Alcohol improves blood lipid profile73
    It increases HDL ("good") cholesterol74
    It decreases LDL ("bad") cholesterol75
    It improves cholesterol (both HDL and LDL) particle size76
    It reduces fibrinogen (a blood clotter)78
    It increases fibrinolysis (the process by which clots dissolve)79
    Alcohol acts in additional ways80
    It reduces coronary artery spasm in response to stress
    It increases coronary blood flow81
    It reduces blood pressure82
    It reduces blood insulin level83Alcohol & Weight
    It increases estrogen levels84

Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain according to extensive medical research, and many studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink. Learn more at Alcohol, Calories & Weight.

Arthritis
    A recent study found that alcohol consumption is associated with a significantly reduced risk of developing arthritic conditions including Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), Osteoarthritis (OA), reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and spondylarthropathy.123

Enlarged Prostate (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH)
    An analysis of 19 published studies that included over 120,000 men found that drinking two or more drinks a day was associated with a 35% reduction in risk of developing benign prostate enlargement.128
    A dietary study found that men who consume two or more alcoholic drinks per day are 33% less likely to develop BPH than are teetotalers or alcohol abstainers.129

Osteoporosis
    Researchers examined the evidence from 33 studies and found that alcohol consumption increased neck bone density for each drink per day over the range of 0-3 drinks per day; reduced the risk for hip fracture with increasing quantities consumed; and was generally associated with reduced bone loss over time, compared with abstention from alcohol.145

It goes on and on
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much beer you drink. There's a big difference between having one small bottle a day and having six, or drinking a whole liter. Beer has a lot of calories.
  • jcreighton48
    jcreighton48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ha sorry BCF. And from what I'm seeing I think I'll definitely continue drinking, not quite as much, but a few is fine with me!
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    By "empty calories" it is meant the beer contains basically no macronutrients. Does moderate alcohol have health benefits? Sure but it contains a good amount of calories with a very small amount of essential nutrients. Hence "empty".
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that drinking alcohol makes it much harder to lose weight. If you are serious about losing weight, I recommend taking time off beer, wine, and liquor.

Sean