Not losing any weight

Options
I joined a gym a month ago. I have been doing 45 minute work out 5 days a week and I play soccer 2 days a week. I have been eating no more than 1500 calories a day. I have been fluctuating within a 3 lb range the whole time. I have not even lost one pound. In the past I have had no difficulty losing weight without even trying. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say what the problem is without knowing your stats or seeing your food diary. Depending on how many calories you're burning during your workouts and how many calories you're averaging on a daily basis, it's possible that your body isn't getting enough fuel. Constant and vigorous workouts can also cause your body to retain water, which can mask weight loss.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You could try using an app like Digifit with a HRM to more closely monitor your exercise as well as keeping a detailed list of your food intake here on MFP. Just keep on with it and good luck. You will find friends here with the same problem that can offer help and encouragement.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have been eating no more than 1500 calories a day. I have been fluctuating within a 3 lb range the whole time.

Eat more to fuel your workouts.. Figure out your TDEE, take a cut from that and eat that. Search this forum for all your answers.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Are you overestimating calories burned? How can people help you with a closed diary?
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem - fluctuated by a couple of kgs within the first month and a half of joining the gym and going regularly 4/5 times a week for 60mins each session. I only began to notice weight loss once I started closely paying attention to the kinds of foods I was eating - introducing more greens and vegetables, cutting some of the high sugary foods but still keeping my target calories the same. Don't know if that helps you?
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough if you are working out that much.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Also, have you had blood work done recently? I found out that my thyroid hormone was causing issues with me not losing weight. They had to increase my dosage since I am already on medication for low thyroid, and that helped me to start losing weight.
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, but i notice my clothes a little loose so i guess Im loosing inches,but most importat i feel great a lot of energy!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know this won't be the answer you want to hear but maybe you should concentrate on measuring instead of weighing? Kick the scales to the side for a while and drag out the measuring tape - see if the inches are dropping off. I am certainly impressed that I can fit into some of my old clothes even though the scales say there is no way I should :)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    All of the above advice is good, especially

Measure yourself instead of weighing
    Check out your TDEE and make your calorie goal as TDEE - 20 % and you will lose.

Above all - have patience, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • mpalmer51212
    Options
    I just not had an opportunity to read all of the posts. There was a lot of great advice that I will be taking into account from now on. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!