Would love to hear of your success...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your AMAZING pictures here. It would be great if you could give me some words of encouragement if you, like me, had tried nearly every diet going, but finally had success with MFP. I had a feeling it could be just what I've been looking for all along, but feeling a bit despondent / like it won't work as whenever I start to track calories, it tends to lead me to bingeing! Sugar is a problem and I think I need to eliminate it entirely. It would be great to hear your success stories!

Thank you :)

Charlotte:flowerforyou:

Replies

• SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    I've found that eliminating sugar completely from my diet has worked well for me. It has quelled cravings (not just sugar cravings, but most all cravings). There have been a couple of times when I "had" to eat sugar (birthday cake) and I had only a small piece. Both times, even after having just a tiny piece of cake, I got those same sugar cravings again. So I now avoid sugar totally.

Good luck to you!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,647 Member
    I am only halfway to my goal, but still consider my progress over the past 6 months, successful. I wasn't always overweight, but gained a lot over about 8 yrs when I was disabled. When I started trying to lose it, I found that it was MUCH harder at this age (49) and weight(starting wt 237) and I struggled for a few years, trying WW, HCG, just watching what I was eating and eating 'diet' food, etc.

I had always balked at counting calories, because I found it SO boring and time consuming, and was convinced that I didn't need to do that to succeed. I mean, all I had to do was eat less and move more, right?? Why was it so dang hard?

My daughter had lost a lot of weight on here before she had her baby last July, and had gone back on to lose her baby weight, and wanted me to do it with her. My mom passed away in June from Type 2 Diabetes, and I knew that I was at high risk myself. I turned 49 on August 27th and chose that day to finally tackle my extra weight once and for all. I had finally reached the point that no matter what, the weight had to go.

Over the past 6 months, I have lost almost 39 pounds, have gone down from a size 22 jean to a size 14, and most importantly, I feel better than I have in years.
    I educated myself on how many calories I needed to eat to lose at a healthy rate, and what percentages of Protein/Fats/Carbs worked best for my body.
    Online calculators can help give you a guideline, but trial and error, based on your actual experience, is how you find the calorie level that is right for you.

In the past, I would lose a couple of pounds, then the scale would stop, I would get frustrated because "why am I starving myself to just MAINTAIN? I can maintain and eat normally!"
    I don't know how many times I have said that to myself and to others. It was very frustrating! I wanted the weight gone, and I wanted it gone yesterday!

What clicked this time was my change in expectations. I used to think that 1 pound loss a week wasn't worth it. Then I started thinking, hey, if I had started a year ago, losing one pound a week, then I would be 52 pounds lighter today!

Then I realized that if I start TODAY, then a year from now I CAN be 52 pounds lighter!

So I accepted the fact that I HAVE to log everything I eat, and will most likely have to log to some extent, the rest of my life. Otherwise, I will not know how many calories I am eating and how many I need.
    I also have to pay attention to WHAT I eat, not just HOW MUCH.
    High quality proteins and healthy fats, with lots of fresh high fiber veggies and whole fruits, go so much farther in keeping me satisfied, healthy, and energetic, than empty calorie junk foods. I am able to eat at an appropriate calorie deficit, without feeling like I am starving, or depriving myself.
    You will see many people say that this is NOT a diet, but a lifestyle change. Actually it is both. The type of foods you are eating is a lifestyle. Eating under a certain level on average, is a lifestyle. While you are trying to lose weight, you will need to eat at a deficit, so for that time, it is more like a traditional diet, but once you start working towards maintenance, then you find a calorie level that will keep you at your new healthy weight.

I eat real food. I occasionally eat things that are not considered 'diet foods'. If they fit into my calories for the day, or week, then I have them. In moderation. I make sure I hit my protein and healthy fat goals, then after then, I have more flexibility.
    I can certainly continue this way of eating for the rest of my life. It has become second nature to me now, and the benefits are so worth the little extra time and energy.

I am also exercising moderately now. Much more than before. It doesn't consume me, but it has helped my cardio health and I have gotten much stronger, and gained endurance. You really need activity to go along with the diet. It doesn't have to be crazy. Just find something you enjoy doing that gets you moving on a regular basis.

The biggest challenge is wrapping her head around it, and deciding that you are ready to commit to change.
    You don't have to make huge changes all at once.
    You WILL mess up some days and over eat. It is NOT the end of the world if you do. It is only one day. Just get back on track and continue forward.

I suggest finding people on here that are around your age, and weight, and have common goals. Support each other. Motivate each other. Celebrate with each other. You NEED a strong support system, and you can find a great one on here.

MFP can't work miracles. It can't do it for you. But it is a great tool, if you use it, to reach your goals and better your health.

You can do it, if you want it!

ETA, and yes, processed sugar was a big problem for me as well. I found early on that I have to restrict it quite a bit. When I keep my sugar levels low, I don't have cravings, or swings in my moods or energy levels.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!