Salad Dressing substitutes

Options
Lokking for a low fat, low sodium substitute to use as salad dressing. Yogurt, sour cream? Any ideas?

Replies

• Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse yogurt dressings. They are fabulous. 45 calories for 2 TBSP for the ranch and it's DELICIOUS.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice and Mrs. Dash seasoning - all natural, may not be low fat, but how much do you need on your salad. (I think you can buy light olive oil).
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bumpity

I would also like to know
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to absorb the vitamins and minerals in your salad vegetables, low fat salad dressing should not be used.

Without moderate fat intake your body will not absorb the nutrients in the salad you are sitting down to eat.

I don't understand what is with all this low fat mentality. Fat in moderate, not low amounts, is needed for just basic body functions.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse yogurt dressings. They are fabulous. 45 calories for 2 TBSP for the ranch and it's DELICIOUS.

I haven't tried the yogurt version, but I recently bought the raspberry vingerette, only 30cal. I LOVE Marie's yogurt ranch dressing. I don't see any difference in taste from regular.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I suggest weaning yourself off of cream-based salad dressings if you're worried about calories. Balsamic vinegar (even just by itself, without olive oil) is perfectly serviceable for me. Ten measly calories for a whole tablespoon, which is more than enough for a reasonably-sized salad.
  • gypsy6451
    gypsy6451 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, will look into these. I need low sodium (high blood pressure) and now fat (heart)
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Salsa is a good substitute and I sometimes mix it with a tbsp of Greek yogurt to get a creamier dressing.
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I won't eat store bought dressing again since I learned to make my own ranch. I use the Skinnytaste.com Low Fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing. I've made some slight alterations to suite my taste, but overall, this recipe is delicious and taste just like ranch, but much better for you!
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    Large salad:

4 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Small salad:

2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Touch of basil or salt or pepper if you need more flavour outside of the food and dressing itself.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    If a salad is made properly, you don't need a heavy dressing, the veggies carry themselves.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

35 calories for 2 TBSP of the blue cheese. I found it by accident and I LOVE it!

Or you can do the olive oil and balsamic which is delicious too
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Lite Balsamic, 45 calories/2 tblsp, adds a distinct tart flavor.