Ever Done a Color Run?

Options
JoanB5
JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
We've been invited to a Color Run in honor of those with disabilities and special needs. It looks like a blast, and is for a great cause. Just wondering what kind of like clothes and shoes you wear and if the stain comes out. Any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I participated in the Portland Color Run back in September and it was fun! I wasn't able to run the entire thing but I ran longer than I thought I could because everyone around me was motivating me to push myself.

I kept my valuables in a plastic ziplock back that I held in my hand. I only kept some money, my license, and my phone to take pictures, the rest I left in the car.

I highly recommend bringing/buying a handkerchief to wear around your neck and put above your mouth at the color stations, the powder is not fun to inhale. I also wore sunglasses to keep it out of my eyes but many people wore goggles.

Wear shoes/clothes you don't care about because the color doesn't always come out.

Have fun!
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is valuable info! I'm doing the Montreal color run in August :)
  • sallyah13
    sallyah13 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first one that will be this summer, I am excited and have no idea what to expect!
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No but I am doing my first in April. So I would like some advice too!
    Sunglasses sounds like a good idea. On the website it says that the color is hard to get out.
    It also says to keep the color in your race shirt to spray with vinegar and iron.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Vibe Run in Savannah in late December, and it was a blast! They used colored corn starch, and it washed out just fine. They issued us t-shirts and sunglasses, and I wore a pair of black workout pants and my old sneakers (just in case). Because my hair is light blonde, my stylist recommended I wear a bandana over my hair and tuck my ponytail in, but I did get some in my hair, and it washed out fine, too.

I did my best to hold my breath as I jogged through the color stations. Aside from 2 days of technicolor boogers, I was totally fine!

Oh, and bring towels to sit on in your car for the ride home!

Have fun!!
  • Celticsnowflake
    Celticsnowflake Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! Participating in one of these in July and these are great tips!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Planning to next month! I'm so excited!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I really want to but I don't think they've 'taken off' yet in the UK - as soon as there is one near me though I am so there :)
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Thanks for the info! There's one in Des Moines this fall that I was looking at, looks like fun!
  • sandrahover
    sandrahover Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice! It is a blast! Wear white. The colors show up better. It is just colored cornstarch, so it comes off easily unless it gets wet. Good advice on the try to keep your mouth shut and not breathe in at the color stations. lol.
    Best advice I can give you (that I learned the hard way) if you want to carry your phone or camera....put it in a zip lock bag in your pocket. Otherwise it gets covered, inside & out. Have fun! :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Doing my first one in April.

I'm going to wear old running shoes. I heard the color comes out of the clothes pretty easy but I'm still going to find a not-so-nice t-shirt to wear. Don't forget to wear sunglasses or goggles too.
  • shunhuggedme
    shunhuggedme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did one in Orlando recently :)

Fair warning, it is a CHALLENGE to RUN it. There was SO MANY PEOPLE.

I ended up with a time of 44 minutes - and you have to time yourself, nor race chips - due to having to go around people. It bottlenecks in color areas. It's a fun-race, after all :)

I put a bandana around my neck and pulled it over my nose during color stations to avoid breathing it in. I wore sunglasses to keep it out of my eyes.

I wore white pants, white tank top, and a white tutu. I TRIED to make the color stick, and it didn't :( I vinegar'd my stuff, ironed it in, vinegar'd it again, then threw it in the dryer... but I washed it once time and it came sparkly clean. I was sad.

Wherever you get wet (sweat, water thrown on you, whatever) the color will start to 'set'. My friend has really really fair skin and it stained her a bit, but it came off after a few days. I have dark skin and dark hair and it didn't stick to me at all.

I have pics and more info at my blog, http://gravitybedamned.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-color-run.html if you want to take a look!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Wear clothes you don't care about...and wear WHITE! It's all about getting colored!!!
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    And have signed up to do it this fall.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i signed up for the july columbus, oh one! it's colored corn starch that comes out of clothes in the wash, i'd be careful what tennis shoes you wear though if you don't want to put those through the wash. should be a blast!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In theory it seems like a color run could be fun - and obviously there are already lots of responders that have had a great time - but for me? I don't think so. Having a bunch of powder thrown at me while I'm trying to run sounds so unappealing! Maybe it's because I grew up with lung issues, but I think I'll stick to spectating for color runs.
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first one. They look like so much fun
  • allsmiles92
    Options
    A friend and I are going to the one in Columbus this July. It'll be my first. I can't wait! Thanks for all of the great tips!! :)
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Doing one in July. Thanks for the tips! :)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it with my girls (7 & 9) and my husband this spring, so I don't think we'll do much running. Thanks all for the tips, we're very excited!