Too much water?

Options
This may sound silly and probably been answered before on here but is there any harm from drinking a lot of water on a daily basis, apart from the obvious increase in needing to use the bathroom is there any potential dangers?

I say this because I will easily and do most days make it through around 5 litres of water, not for any reason like filling myself up but generally because I enjoy drinking it plus I'm often carrying a large water bottle (around 1.5litres) and will just drink from that pretty much all the time. I've not had any problems with it before other than needing the bathroom more frequently but I was curious as to whether there are any long term consequences of this because if so then I guess I should look at cutting down because 5 litres is a lot to have each day

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well, just wondering if it's impairing your food intake. looking at your photo and your ticker you've lost a lot of weight and are rather thin. I'd be concerned that you're not eating enough as a result.
  • KathyJoShann
    KathyJoShann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

source: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
  • Tom_Jones74
    Tom_Jones74 Posts: 108
    Options
    It depends on your diet.

It depends on how much you're sweating.

If all you do is sit there and drink water, and you're not active, and you don't eat foods that replenish your electrolytes/minerals you'll probably end up having a headache due to mild water intoxication. Keep drinking it and you'll die but that's an extreme situation.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

source: http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Yup.
  • davidwgold
    Options
    well, just wondering if it's impairing your food intake. looking at your photo and your ticker you've lost a lot of weight and are rather thin. I'd be concerned that you're not eating enough as a result.

I see what you mean, and I am in the process of bulking myself up more because I realised I am pretty thin (although the photo does in my opinion make it look more apparent) but the weight loss has been over a period of nearly 2 years now so although it's a lot I think it's not so bad, plus I try to eat around 1800+ calories a day so I wouldn't say it's causing a problem with my intake, I've always had a lot of water even before I started losing weight, for as long as I know really I've made it through that much but I was just curious as to if it would have any long term problems. But
  • escapeartist90210
    escapeartist90210 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yea over drinking too much water in one sitting could overfill your body causing harmful effects including death. I mean it's hard to reach the limit but don't overdue it and spread out your water intake. Clearly, I'm no doctor dude but I researched it.
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    Do you smoke?
  • davidwgold
    Options
    Thanks guys, so I'm guessing that as long as it's not done too quickly and not for the purpose of filling myself up then it's ok at the moment.

And nope, I don't smoke
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A person could drink too much but 5 liters is not too much. I know lots of people that drink at least a gallon and have for years ( they haven't died yet and feel great) 1800 calories so you are still eating. I think it's good for you! Good luck!
  • Tom_Jones74
    Options
    And nope, I don't smoke

Good. Many hard gainers do.

I would say that you could benefit more from some exercise than from dieting. Eat healthy, lift something every day, even if it's your own bodyweight.