Running headache?

Options
I am on week 4 of couch to 5k. I drink a ton of water during my run (1.5L bottle during the whole thing). I have been getting HORRIBLE headaches!!!! It doesn't matter what time of the day I run (this morning I didn't eat and I have one, but I have gotten them after I eat). I don't want to take medication for it because the pain is telling me something is wrong. I usually breathe pretty well (in through my nose out through my mouth). I make sure I eat a carb/protein combo after I work out (this morning it was an english muffin with two eggs). I'm so confused! It's to the point that I am naseaous.

Help???:frown:

Replies

• Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I have noticed that if I clench my jaw too much when exercising I start to get a headache. Not sure if that's what is causing yours. I would also look at your running posture -- make sure your abs are holding you upright and that you're not tensing your upper shoulders or neck too much. Again, I'm really no expert.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    tight ponytail does it to me. Do you have long hair and do you put it in a pony?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are losing a lot of sodium and potassium. It may help to drink a little gatorade during your run. Mix it with water.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just a few thoughts:

* I usually get headaches while running when I'm tense - I clench my jaw. I try to remember to relax my face when running.

* Is the sun bright where you live? Squinting could cause headaches - wear sunglasses if so.

* On Week 4 of C25k? So you are running/walking for around 30 minutes? If so, you shouldn't need to take water with you, let alone be drinking so much. I only take water with me when running if it's for more than an hour. If it's incredibly warm where you live and you are sweating a lot, then perhaps a small bottle, but otherwise half a litre before setting off should be fine. While water is great you need to be careful that you are not knocking your electrolytes out of balance. And if you are sweating a lot then some salty food beforehand might help (or an electrolyte tablet in your water, such as Zero or Nuun, although for half an hour this shouldn't be necessary).

Hope you get it sorted - and well done on taking up running and getting to Week 4! :flowerforyou:
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need to drink very much water during your run. However, make sure you are WELL hydrated at least 24-48 hours before a run (or just stay hydrated all the time!) I drink close to a gallon of water a day and rarely feel the need to drink water on runs shorter than an hour.
  • tigster1980
    Options
    This happens to me too. I haven't worked out what causes it yet. I might try the Gatorade tip.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the tips! I am always thirsty when I am running, thus why I drink a lot of water. I am sweating quite a bit- I will def try the gatorade tip!

I didn't think about running/clenching my jaw/shoulders- I grind my teeth at night not knowing it, so maybe I translate it when I'm running. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I am usually not squinting- I'm not outside (yet) still snowing up here .... :grumble:
  • triathlete5301
    Options
    also, I'll keep an eye on how hydrated I am before a run. I don't think I drank enough yesterday... I generally drink a ton of water all days and this is not the first time that I have had this problem. :frown:
  • triathlete5301
    Options
    Just a few thoughts:

* I usually get headaches while running when I'm tense - I clench my jaw. I try to remember to relax my face when running.

* Is the sun bright where you live? Squinting could cause headaches - wear sunglasses if so.

* On Week 4 of C25k? So you are running/walking for around 30 minutes? If so, you shouldn't need to take water with you, let alone be drinking so much. I only take water with me when running if it's for more than an hour. If it's incredibly warm where you live and you are sweating a lot, then perhaps a small bottle, but otherwise half a litre before setting off should be fine. While water is great you need to be careful that you are not knocking your electrolytes out of balance. And if you are sweating a lot then some salty food beforehand might help (or an electrolyte tablet in your water, such as Zero or Nuun, although for half an hour this shouldn't be necessary).

Hope you get it sorted - and well done on taking up running and getting to Week 4! :flowerforyou:

I am also doing weights- I did my c25k run, and went into a half hour of weights. I atribute it to the running though because I only have this issue on runs- 5k's, 8K's, etc that I've done in the past. I'm thinking electrolyte imbalance, but I didn't know of the other things so I'll keep my eye out :smile:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just a few thoughts:

I am also doing weights- I did my c25k run, and went into a half hour of weights. I atribute it to the running though because I only have this issue on runs- 5k's, 8K's, etc that I've done in the past. I'm thinking electrolyte imbalance, but I didn't know of the other things so I'll keep my eye out :smile:

I clench my teeth when I do weights too. Usually because I'm saying "grrrrrr...." as I get to the end of a set :wink: