advice on my diet please - trying to healthily gain

Options
So i'm currently underweight, and although I like my body as it is I haven't had my period in a while so understand I need to gain weight! I'm 5 ft 3 and 6 and a half stone, and i'm currently waiting to be registered with a nutritionist - so in the meantime can anyone advise me on my diet, what i should be eating?

I don't want to just stuff my face with chocolate and crisps and get fat - i want to keep toned and slim

So today for example i've eaten:

Breakfast: Porridge with blueberries and yogurt
Lunch: Ham sandwich in wholemeal bread, apple,
Snack: Banana
Snack: Freddo bar
Dinner: Salmon with cous cous and peas
Snack: Yogurt (200g) with almonds, raisins and blueberries and honey

Replies

• lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Superfat vs. Superskinny is available on Youtube. You should watch the programs. You could apply for the show.

At 91 pounds you know, you need to eat more. More of everything. You are lacking on many critical nutrients. I'm guess a bit, as I don't know what some of those foods are or their quantities, but you need more iron and calcium among other things. Both are very important for women and you seem to get very little. You need to push yourself to eat more.

It is good that you realize that you are in dangerous territory. Guessing again, but you should add 500/1000 calories a day. It is so easy to add calories. Cheese on the ham sandwich. A protein shake with breakfast. Eggs.

Push yourself to eat more. Double your portions. Eat til your full than eat some more. Ice Cream, Pizza. Carbs.
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat more nuts, avocado, cheese, nut butters, cook your veggies in coconut oil instead of steaming.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    What you're eating is healthy in general but obviously too little, maybe try increasing the portion size? Add mayo/cheese to the sandwiches, have peanutbutter with your apple, have a banana milkshake with breakfast, have chocolate sprinkles on your cereal. Little things like that can add calories easily while still maintaining a healthy diet. Log everything you eat so you can review where you are lacking calories. I'd say on average, you're aiming at 500-600cal per meal plus 200 - 300 cal per snack. Figure out your TDEE (e.g. at http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and eat at least that, even if you do have to eat a bit of chocolate at the end of the day. If you log everything for a while, it'll be easier for people to suggest where to add calories in a healthy way.

(edited for spelling and maths error)

Edit 2: I calculate your TDEE to be about 2100. So here'd be an example:
    Breakfast: 400 - porridge with fruit plus banana
    Lunch: 500 - sandwich, fruit with peanut butter
    Snacks: 200 each - fruits, nut butters, snack bars, chocolate, small sandwich, whatever you fancy
    Dinner: 550 - Meat/fish, vegetables, pasta, creamy sauce
    Snack: 200 - same as above
    Shake: 200 - banana and milk
    Total: 2250
  • etchasketch5
    Options
    Okay thankyou, I set gaining weight (1/2 a pound a week) on MFP and they told me 1,800? Does that sound about right?

I feel like i'm eating more than enough at the moment but at the end of the day it still says i've eaten about 1,500 calories, feels weird forcing food down me when i'm not hungry. Irritating aswell because the only reason i'm gaining weight is to get my period back!
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Have you spoken to a doctor about your period? There might also be something else going on...

Try eating as much as you can and slowly increasing it week by week.
  • Mamalea32
    Mamalea32 Posts: 134
    Options
    I have a 19% bmi and do not get my period either. My weight is considered healthy even though its on the lower end. I recommend just tracking your calorie intake according to fitness pal. Also balance your carbs vs protein vs fat intake. I try for 55% carb, and then split protein and fat equally.