Fat loss - Muscle Gain

Options
Hello,

I've been working pretty hard for the last month with a trainer and I'm wondering. (maybe this is a question for her and yes, I'm just starting out)

When you are 196 pounds, what should your calorie intake be?

I don't think 1200 is very healthy when you are burning at least 500 calories a day in just excersise. I want to be lean and fit, not skinny and no muscle. I understand muscle weights more than fat. I want to be strong and healthy and eat nutrious foods. I once was in shape and very healthy, then I just "let myself go" Gained 50 pounds or so in 5 years so I know this will take time. I'm a strong woman. I'm short 5'4" and don't want to be bulky either. Am I asking too much?

For workouts I normally, walk briskly for 15 minutes, eliptical for 1/2 hour, plus ab excersises. (odd days)
Even days, I warm up, then I'm into 3 seperate circuits which keep my heart elevated, then drop, then elevated working entire body. Mostly Upper shoulder (working on posture) many excersises including squats and medicine ball lunges and various ab (side, lower and upper muscles) I often finish with another 15 or 20 minutes of eliptical and cool down on the treadmill.. Stretches and yoga moves followed. Other days, I walk for at least an hour. (5.5km in 1 hour)

I'm sure I'm gaining muscle and have lost a few inches here and there. I think the scale is evil.

Any suggestions out there greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this for a more... tailored (?) calorie goal! I was put on an automatic 1200 which for my height/weight wasn't a good number, I got quite sickly from it - after using scooby to figure out my TDEE I now eat at least 1500 a day, and tailor it to what I'm hoping to achieve for that particular goal (muscle gain, fat loss, maintenance etc.) I have many similar goals to you, wanting to be strong, fit, lean etc. and do it by eating good food. There is the concept of 'eat more to weigh less' which basically means eating more than the 1200 but less than your maintenance calories, you will lose less quickly overall, but slow and steady wins this race!

Also, have you ever thought about weight lifting? You will not bulk lifting weights, and it really helped me to tighten everything up. I lost 2-3 dress sizes within about 2 months just by trying to do about 30 minutes of weights 3-4 times a week. I used to worry that I couldn't use free weights etc. and that the resistance machines weren't as 'good' for you, but I use them and I have results and I'm ok with that.

But definitely, at your activity level, you either need to up your base calories, or eat back your exercise calories - 1200 is not enough to sustain you at that activity level, not in a healthy way.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks Elle408! I saw my trainer last night and she said basically the same as you. My calorie intake should be at least 1675. Really good link thanks for that! When I'm doing circuit training I am using weights for my back and back of shoulders mostly. My trainer said I am very dominant in the shoulders, which I am and I have lots of muscle there so I don't want to bulk up anymore than I already am. I know it's hard for some girls, but for me it's easy to put on muscle up top and my calves are crazy. I am mostly working the larger muscles, thighs, butt, focusing on abs and back (back of shoulders) as well. Working on eating healthy, at regular intervals 6 or more times a day.

Did you have excess skin after you lost 50pounds? Good for you!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My calves are crazy too, and even at some of my lowest weights they never shrank, completely not fair!

My biggest weight was 175, so I guess I wasn't that big. But I have got some loose skin, particularly at the tops of my thighs, my knees and my stomach... I think only so I can notice, no one has ever mentioned it and it's not a huge problem to me, but i'll never be like all of the naturally thin people, despite being the same weight and size as them now. It's a small price to pay though I guess (although I don't always feel that optimistic! lol)

I'm glad the link was useful to you! It was one of the best resources I was shown when I started out!
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    This is the heaviest I've been.. right now I'm 194, but that's going down! I imagine I'll have the "loose skin" too, but I don't care! As long as my clothese fit nice and comfortable, I'm good. Thanks for your reply!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've been working pretty hard for the last month with a trainer and I'm wondering. (maybe this is a question for her and yes, I'm just starting out)

When you are 196 pounds, what should your calorie intake be?

I don't think 1200 is very healthy when you are burning at least 500 calories a day in just excersise. I want to be lean and fit, not skinny and no muscle. I understand muscle weights more than fat. I want to be strong and healthy and eat nutrious foods. I once was in shape and very healthy, then I just "let myself go" Gained 50 pounds or so in 5 years so I know this will take time. I'm a strong woman. I'm short 5'4" and don't want to be bulky either. Am I asking too much?

Use MFP to set up your calories at your weight. Then set up your weight loss diet( -1/2lbs -1lbs loss a week) Input your exercise calories on the days you work out, those are extra then eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight.

You cannot get bulky in a calorie deficit as there is simply not enough calories to bulk with. You would need a surplus of calories for that to happen.
    Also if your calorie goal is 1200 cals and you work out 500 cals you are supposed to eat them back as your 1200 cals is your weight loss calorie deficit. You may strengthen your muscles and even gain a little bit of muscle mass but its not going to be much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You could switch to the TDEE method, or simply eat back your exercise calories as MFP intends for you to do. My guess is that if you go TDEE route, your TDEE - 20% will probably be around 1,700 calories if you calculate your activity correctly. If you use the MFP method and you eat back 500 exercise calories per day, your gross calories will be 1,700 (net is still 1,200)...6 one way, half a dozen the other.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think at the weight you are you shouldn't worry about being skinny and scrawny yet. I think you are absolutely fine with eating 1200 calories. When you get closer to your vanity pounds or being in the average weight for your height you will definitely need to adjust. At that point you can also worry about muscle. The biggest loser is a great example. With your circuit training and incorporating strength training into it you will be doing perfectly fine!
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I saw my trainer on Monday and had a really good chat about nutrition. She wants me to have 1700 calories a day with me working out every day, it's necessary. I completely disagree with the 1200 a day diet. First of all I feel like I'm depriving myself and then I just want to binge. I used to think starving myself was fast and easy, but it just kicks you in the *kitten* later... I know I sound like I'm a heavy girl and my BMI says I'm obese, but honestly..I'm pretty fit and do have a lot of muscle. My goal is to be strong, fit and healthy at 150lbs. So far I feel awesome and love weight training! I think too many people have it backwards. My body fat is down to 38% and first goal is to get it to 27%.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    You could switch to the TDEE method, or simply eat back your exercise calories as MFP intends for you to do. My guess is that if you go TDEE route, your TDEE - 20% will probably be around 1,700 calories if you calculate your activity correctly. If you use the MFP method and you eat back 500 exercise calories per day, your gross calories will be 1,700 (net is still 1,200)...6 one way, half a dozen the other.

You were right! 1700 a day. :)
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    So hard to eat 1700 calories a day after burning 500 at the gym!