I jogged my first 5k!! Susan G Komen race for the CURE!!

Options
RedneckWmn
RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
Today I participated in my 3rd 5k. Today was the first time I attempted to jog as much as I could. Let me start by saying March 8th I started the c25k program. When I started I could barley run for 30 seconds. I'm starting week 9 of c25k next week and can now run for 28 minutes at a 5 mph. Huge accomplishment for me. The even biggest accomplishment was that I jogged my first 5k this morning. I did intervals of running a minute, walking a minute. Running outside is definitely very different then the treadmill! It wasn't easy and my legs are screaming at me! The best part was I wasn't really that winded doing it, it was my legs that were angry with me. Once I graduate the c25k program in the gym, I'm going to start over but training outside. I finished in 49 minutes. It took me about an hour and 10 or 15 minutes last year to walk the 5k. It's not a great time but it's a step in the right direction for me! Can't wait for my next one! Thanks for taking a minute and reading my story. Have a great Saturday! :drinker:

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    What an accomplishment.
    You should be very proud of yourself!
    I'm trying to work up towards being able to do a 5k myself.
    It makes me less nervous when I read success stories like this one!

Have a great Saturday also :)
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    What an accomplishment.
    You should be very proud of yourself!
    I'm trying to work up towards being able to do a 5k myself.
    It makes me less nervous when I read success stories like this one!

Have a great Saturday also :)

Thanks! I love your quote from Jillian! That's what I kept telling myself today until I crossed that dang finish line!
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    That's so awesome! Congratulations! You did GREAT! :flowerforyou:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    That is really, really great!!! You can be really proud of your accomplishment. It must have been a great thrill to cross the finish line.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I'm not doing the c25k but I've been doing intervals and the most I can run at one time right now is about two minutes at a time if I really push myself, but it depends on the day. My run this morning was severely lacking. All that to say, I love reading stories like this because I know they started where I'm at now and I'll eventually get there! Kudos to you!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    SWEET! What a great accomplishment!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Awesome - were you in STL? I watched part of it on the news this morning - I wish now that I had signed up - although I don't personally know anyone affected by breast cancer it is still an awesome cause and to see all the survivors in their pink shirts was truly inspiring! I LOVE doing 5Ks they are intoxicating and addicting - I did two in the spring and can't wait to do another one as well - your time was awesome by the way - I think I finished the last one at 45 minutes with more walking than jogging since I had my little guy in the stroller - can't wait until I can jog more than walk!!!! Way to go on your accomplishment you should be very proud!!!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    It was actually in Plano, just north of Dallas. Tons of people! It was humid as all get out and my work sponsored us so we had to wear these t shirts they gave us and they are such heavy material! I seriously contemplated ripping my shirt off and running in my sports bra. Nobody would of wanted to see that! :tongue: But what matters is I finished and I am very proud. I try do to all the Susan G. Komens now because my Mom had breast cancer. The first one was real emotional for me. It is awesome to see all the survivors but so sad to see everyones shirts for the people "in memory of", breaks my heart.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Just brilliant!!!! The cs5k is an excellent programme I do it here and there when that voice comes up on my mp3 player. The process really works. How great to hear of your success and for such a worthy cause!!!! Woo HOO!!:flowerforyou:
  • chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    Wow! Such an accomplishment! The last time I participated was just before I got married - about ten years ago. Since then, the weight began piling on and after our daughter was born, all hope of my return to better health seemed lost.:sad: I'm always aware of when the event's in my town, but I never feel up to the run or even the walk... and I keep saying next year. Well - THIS time, my "next year" quote is true. Thanks for sharing your story and your motivation! Congratulations - to help find the cure this way is dynamic for all!:flowerforyou:
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Yay, Jess! So glad you're one of my weight loss sisters. I can't wait to work up the nerve to actually attempt a 5k charity run.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    OH I love your story - you did awesome!!!
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. You should feel so proud! Congrats!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    You have certainly made great progress for yourself and what a great way to use your new you to benefit others as well! Keep up the good work and may you continue to see fabulous results in your health and appearance!
  • bluemoonrise
    bluemoonrise Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    congrats for keeping at it. Reading stories like your makes me is so motivational. thank you for posting. :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Way to go girl!! I am always so proud of someone who DOES it!! and you DID!!.

WOOT WOOT!!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thank you all very much! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!