and the winner is... HRM? MFP? or MACHINE? join now...

Options
Ok so today I just got a polar ft4 HRM that will calculate calories burned during exercise...Tomorrow I will see how many calories it says I burned as well as how many calories the machine and MFP says I burned...I will be so curious to see how far off they all are...Of course I will want to believe the highest one but will probably record the lowest one for fear that I am wrong...I will post results tomorrow...which one do you think will be the winner???? Please join and record your calories from MFP...HRM and/or machine and let me know which calories you record...

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The HRM is the most accurate because it's based on your actual stats and your actual HR, not some estimate in a data base or estimate on a machine that only takes into account how far you've gone and how fast. Still, I deduct about 15-20% from my HRM to account for BMR calories that I would have burned just sitting on my *kitten*. I haven't used machine or MFP numbers in ages.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I calculate according to my HRM as it is monitoring my actual heart rate with the chest transmitter. MFP way over calculates cals burnt. Machines are inaccurate cause they are used and abused by everyone at my gym.

I really like my HRM makes me work harder and reach my goals.
  • Phiasmommy12
    Options
    I just purchase the Ft4 monitor as well from Amazon!! I get it tomorrow, sooo excited!!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    HRM. MFP was overestimating my gym workouts by like 500 calories.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If your counting on the machine or MFP you're going to be wayyy off. The best is an HRM with chest strap. You got the Polar so you will be good!
  • julesy_b
    julesy_b Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is what happened to me today! I have been using mfp for months and started using my polar ft4 today it is so accurate. Bit frustrating though as I thought mfp was near, no way! Not to worry we'll both be right now :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I like this topic :-)... Overall, HRM is the most accurate since it adjusts for incline and conditions. MFP assumes you are doing exercise with no resistance. For example running: is assumes you are running on a flat with no wind. The treadmil is only accurate ifyou run in the middle of it. Ive used my HRM on a treadmill to test. What I find is that if you run closer to the front of the treadmil, you burn more than what the treadmil states, if you dun towards the back of the treadmil you burn a bit less.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    HRM. MFP is usually lower than my HRM by a decent margin, the excpetion being when my boot camp class does a strength training day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    meh. Kind of a non-issue for me. When I was new to weight-loss in 2007, I bought a Polar HRM.

I used it maybe twenty times. It was fun. For about a minute, it was fun. Now it sits on my dressing, collecting dust. Well, that was $100 well-spent /end sarcasm.

I just use a flat 300 calories if it's about an hour of exercise.

I used to really believe I could somehow control the exact number of calories in and out. It so doesn't work like that.

It's miserable for me when I start to believe that. Not possible and not important. But I totally understand your hope that it will be. :flowerforyou:
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    HRM all the way. I love my Polar FT7.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    It also sits on my dresser Gaah.gif
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go, it will give you the most accurate reading.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    They're all estimates.

For some things, such as the treadmill or exercise bike the machine may actually be more accurate because it has been rigorously tested based on sound formulas. However, for something such as the elliptical, your HRM may be most accurate.

As for strength training, HRM are not at all accurate and of course there is no machine telling you what you burnt while doing that.
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    yeah i use to use THE machine cals but now that i got my HRM i use that...MFP well i think its way off
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Treadmill if it asks for weight.

MFP if you have no incline and do the speed indicated.

HR is not directly tied to calories burned, but as close as you can get without more expensive setup - IF, and again, a big IF, all your stats are setup correctly.

You're cheaper Polar is missing the VO2max stat, and likely don't have the HRmax stat correct either.

Test yourself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    They're all estimates.

For some things, such as the treadmill or exercise bike the machine may actually be more accurate because it has been rigorously tested based on sound formulas. However, for something such as the elliptical, your HRM may be most accurate.

As for strength training, HRM are not at all accurate and of course there is no machine telling you what you burnt while doing that.

Why wouldn't HRM be accurate with strength training??? Never heard that before and I don't see why that would be... :ohwell:

I wouldn't bother with machines or MFP if you want something accurate. Your heart rate, age, weight, height are all recorded in your HRM to give you the most accurate burn. Obviously it's not going to be 100% but it's much better than the other two. I never work out without mine and when I do I feel naked! haha
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't HRM be accurate with strength training??? Never heard that before and I don't see why that would be... :ohwell:

I wouldn't bother with machines or MFP if you want something accurate. Your heart rate, age, weight, height are all recorded in your HRM to give you the most accurate burn. Obviously it's not going to be 100% but it's much better than the other two. I never work out without mine and when I do I feel naked! haha

Because the relationship between HR and calories burned is totally based on aerobic activity, steady-state with HR for 2-5 min.

Lifting is anaerobic, and no where near steady-state.

It thinks you reached those high HR's through aerobic activity - therefore totally inflated values.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Because the relationship between HR and calories burned is totally based on aerobic activity, steady-state with HR for 2-5 min.

Lifting is anaerobic, and no where near steady-state.

It thinks you reached those high HR's through aerobic activity - therefore totally inflated values.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Thank you for explaining that for me.

If you're strength training and want to count calories burned, you may as well just use MFP's estimate. I think you'll find that the HRM displays a much higher burn for it but it is largely inflated.