Sodium...

Options
First of all, I'm obviously new here. I just joined 8 days ago. I'm not really doing this to diet, but more just trying to change to a healthy lifestyle. Weight lo0ss is a big goal for me,however (My starting weight/height was 250/6'0.5'' and I'm aiming for around 210; maybe lower once I make it there. I've cut out all sweets and soda pop cold turkey, and am now working out 5-6 days of week, and walking 3-4 miles on the days I don't go to the gym.

Anyway, as I've been tracking my food, I've been doing really well on Protein/Carbs/Fat/Calories, but really seem to be going over a lot on Sodium. I haven't really committed to a strict food guideline as I normally just eat light during the day and whatever my girlfriend cooks at night. Is going over on Sodium critical in the weight loss process or will I be fine as long as I stay good with all of my other numbers? Any responses are appreciated.

Replies

• kbodnaruk
    kbodnaruk Posts: 67
    Options
    I personally find that on the days I go over in sodium and/or sugar I have slower weight loss. For me - if I go over in sodium I make sure to drink extra water because I tend to retain it and the water helps to flush it out of my system. Great job on your lifestyle change and for taking those first steps to lose weight and most importantly become healthy!!
  • mockingjay33
    Options
    You should be fine going over your sodium intake. If you drink enough water your body will balance itself out. Aside from that, there is some controversial info on whether high sodium diets will lead to high blood pressure and some new information is coming out that suggests it may only be an issue if you have high blood pressure in your family, which you should get checked out. Other than that, just try to balance things out a bit, drink more water. The only thing I think a high sodium diet with little water can do is make you bloat.

Try to take things slowly though, we all want results fast, but the worst thing we can do to ourselves is pushing too hard right away without allowing ourselves to get used to even the simplest of changes. Have some chocolate every now and then :P
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    I can't say from personal experience but i can say from my boyfriends experience.

He started p90x and didn't watch what he ate and got frustrated cause the scale was hardly moving and inches were barely dropping off. I turned him onto mfp and he realized he was usually 2-3times over his sodium intake! He did research on how much sodium is recommended, not necessarily the sodium that mfp requires. So he started looking for ways to reduce sodium, which he did in low sodium turkey lunchmeat, watching the sodium he ate in bread and buying lower sodium rice when he makes it. Lower sodium taco wraps, lower sodium taco seasoning...plain greek yogurt instead of flavored yogurt.

Anywho's...after about 2weeks of changing and stalking his sodium intake, he started dropping weight steadily. He's down 10lbs right now, and its been about a month.

Sodium causes water retention, which can lead to the scale not goiing down and bloating which means not looking as good as you can and not loosing inches as you'd expect. Hope this helps somewhat!!
  • DivineDee
    DivineDee Posts: 23
    Options
    Going over in sodium is critical. I've gotten to the point that I don't even include salt in my meals I use other spices to add flavor. This is a big thing for me because I was one that added salt before even tasting my food. Personally, for me salt was my enemy and did not help with weight lost and I ended up with a lot of water weight and swollen legs and ankles. I'm on high blood pressure medicine and when I take my water pill I have at times lost up to two pounds of water weight. Some processed food have a lot of sodium that you need to watch out for. I hope this helps.
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sodium and I do not get along. I track my sodium intake even more closely than I do my calories.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sodium kills me every day! Drives me crazy! I have found recipes for many items I eat (ranch, tortillas, etc) so I can make then with less sodium. Even with trying to cut down, I still go over daily. I never realized how much I liked salty foods. Funny thing is I never add salt to foods (unless a recipe). I didn't even have a salt shaker until a few months ago but still don't use it. I do retain water from it so I am trying to reduce it.
  • 10Racing
    10Racing Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah I was just curious. I'm usually about 10% to 20% over my sodium limit every day. I have had one or two days under, though! I guess I'll just pay close attention to what I eat and try to reduce my sodium intake as much as possible. I really can't say right now how badly its hurting me as I'm only 8 days in. As I was saying earlier, I'm trying to come into this with the mindset to change my lifestyle and live healthier. Dropping weight is just an added bonus. I'm currently down 2.5 pounds so I'm happy to see some short term progress!

Thank you all for the suggestions.
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    really nothing bad about sodium. It can be (but is not always) a problem for people with high blood pressure. It is NOT a problem if you don't have high blood pressure. However, it will cause you to hold onto more water. I avoid sodium the day before I weigh in just to try to get an accurate weight, but other than that, no issues. go for it. :)

Also--if you are worried about sodium--cut out processed foods, not salt as a seasoning.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Sodium has absolutely nothing to do with fat loss.
  • westerly34
    westerly34 Posts: 898
    Options
    If you can control it then tell your gf to stop over doing it on the sodium! lol but it doesnt matter when you get to a low bf% sodium comes into play because it makes u retain water underneath the skin. But if ur hitting ur macros sodium isnt gona play a big deal. As long as you dont have hypertension you have nothing to worry about.