wonton wrappers

Options
I just got a tweet a short while ago from men's health suggesting using wontons to make home made raviolis! Does anyone have any other good ideas and recipes for wontons? :]

Replies

• deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    emilybites.com has quite a few recipes for "cupcakes" made with wonton wrappers like taco cupcakes, lasagna cupcakes, etc.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yes! I use wonton wrappers to make mini-tacos. i made them once for an appetizer for a family get-to-gether and now its my staple that i bring to every party. my family loves them especially the kids.
    I make it with lean ground turkey.. DELISH!
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make little fruit pies out of them.

Preheat oven to 400 Deg.
    Clean and chop up some of your favorite fruit and heat it over medium heat in a saucepan with a little sugar and whatever flavors you like - cinnamon, wine, cocoa, nutmeg, mint, etc.
    Reduce heat to low and let it cook a few minutes. You still want the fruit to have some texture and not be a mush. Remove from the hot saucepan and let cool to room temperature.
    Egg wash the inside of the wonton and fill it with fruit like you would a dumpling. I prefer the single-wrapper-folded-over-triangle method to the 2 wrapper one-on-top-one-on-the-bottom method. Cut a little vent on the top.
    Put on a greased sheet pan and egg wash the tops and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake until golden brown.
    Cherry is my favorite.
  • KlaMorgan
    KlaMorgan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make little fruit pies out of them.

Preheat oven to 400 Deg.
    Clean and chop up some of your favorite fruit and heat it over medium heat in a saucepan with a little sugar and whatever flavors you like - cinnamon, wine, cocoa, nutmeg, mint, etc.
    Reduce heat to low and let it cook a few minutes. You still want the fruit to have some texture and not be a mush. Remove from the hot saucepan and let cool to room temperature.
    Egg wash the inside of the wonton and fill it with fruit like you would a dumpling. I prefer the single-wrapper-folded-over-triangle method to the 2 wrapper one-on-top-one-on-the-bottom method. Cut a little vent on the top.
    Put on a greased sheet pan and egg wash the tops and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake until golden brown.
    Cherry is my favorite.
    that sounds amazing
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Seafood ""Cheatpies"
    (inspired by Louisiana shrimpmeat and crabmeatpies--which are traditionally made with butter- and/or lard-filled pastry dough and thickened with a good old southern roux)

sautee finely chopped onions, green peppers, and celery, then add chopped seafood (imitation crab meat or tiny frozen salad shrimp work fine) and a few healthy shakes of cayenne and tabasco. Thicken with a teensy bit of flour, cornstarch or glucomann. Spoon into wonton wrappers, fold and bake til crispy.

Spinach and Parmesan bites: mix well-drained frozen spinach with parmesan cheese and some Italian herbs (also good with a bit of red pepepr or pimento added)

Any kind of leftover stew or chili-like substance
  • kimberlycooper16
    Options
    I use wonton wrappers all the time! Tomorrow, we're actually doing chicken fajita wontons with avocado ranch dipping sauce. You can put so much in wonton wrappers. Chicken parmesan, tacos, hoisin chicken with broccoli slaw. If you don't seal them, they're like mini tacos. On the sweet side, peanut butter and Nutella, pumpkin, apple pie. So many options!
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Won-ton wrappers with a half of a Laughing Cow Lite Cheese wedge (various flavors and they are all good) . . . fold over and use Egg Beaters to seal the edges. I brush the tops of mine with a little olive oil or butter spray and bake until brown. They are wonderful and very low cal. These are a must in my house! :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas !

Would these re-heat ok the next day? ALways on the lookout for interesting lunch ideas
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love to put everything in wonton wrappers!
    Turkey meatballs, a little spaghetti sauce topped with parm or mozzarella and tzatziki
    Ground turkey, corn, black beans and cheese
    Shredded chicken and frank's red hot
    Roast beef deli slices and mozzarella laughing cow cheese wedge topped with fresh black pepper
    possibilities are endless!
  • blinker86
    blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Emily Bites! I just made the taco "cupcakes" this week, and they are wonderful. I've also made the french dip version, which is a favorite. They reheat and freeze well!

http://www.emilybites.com/search/label/Main Course Muffins/Cupcakes
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    bump
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    These ideas are great. Thank you.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump so many good ideas here
  • c2jeske
    c2jeske Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump! yummmmmm
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    hold for later. THANKS!!!
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bumping!
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I'm drooling right now.
  • FitMom516
    FitMom516 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've made little mini apple pie things with them. Just mix together chopped apples, some sugar and cinnamon and put on the wonton. Fold and seal it with a little water on your finger. Bake until golden and crispy. Yum!
  • Paul_in_NJ
    Options
    There's no end to the variety of fillings you can use with wonton wrappers. BTW, your local supermarket may have the Goya version. I use them to make empanadas -- just a mix of finely chopped (or pureed) meat, veggies, and seasonings which you sautee before folding into the wrapper. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes in a greased pan. As Jamie Oliver says, it's dead simple!