Distance Runners: Eating Extra Calories to Offset Long Runs

Options
Hi everyone,

I just joined this site in hopes of making healthy eating choices as I train for my second marathon. My biggest concern is to make sure I am eating enough healthy calories so that I don't end up eating unhealthy foods to fill my ever-expanding appetite. My question to those who have been doing this for a while is this: Should I try to make up all the calories from a long run on that same day, or should I try to increase my calorie intake throughout the week to offset the big chunks of calories I'm burning during long runs?

Thanks in advance for your input/advice =)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I tend to spread it around, I am usually not going to eat enough to make up for a 20 mile run that day, but I will find that a day or two after I am ravenously hungry, so I make it more of a weekly calorie goal. I will make a huge protein shake after my long run, which I drink during my ice bath (double the cold!).

I also do not eat at much of a deficit during training.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been training for my first half marathon (coming up in 4 days!! Eek!!) and i have had this same issue. When I go for my 2.5 hour Sunday run, I burn ~1400 calories, which is almost what I'm supposed to eat in an entire day -- and if you are training for a full marathon, I imagine you burn a whole lot more on your really long runs! Unless I have plans to go out to dinner after my run, there's no way I can eat that much food in one day. Instead, I use those calories as a bank for a big dinner out the night before, especially since I have found I run better when I get a big meal the night before that hits all of my macros (I'm thinking your "traditional" hearty meat + carbs + veggies meal). Just one person's unscientific anecdote. As long as you are netting sufficient calories on your training day, I think that using the extra calories burned as a bank throughout the rest of the week is fine.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    training for my first half, too... Had a problem with being so hungry and grumpy after my long runs. l am also wondering how people work the calories.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just listen to my body. I usually look at calories on a 3 day block, and usually end up making up for big burns within that 3 days. Unusual that I'd eat it all in the same day; I am usually really hungry the following day.

For me, having a recovery drink within 30 mins of finishing long runs and drinking plenty of water the same day is really, really important. If I do that, it seems to temper the ravenous issue. Instead I am just hungry :smile:
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I certainly don't limit my calories on long run days. But like others have said, I spread it out among the next couple of days, I get monster hungry the next 2 days.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I eat extra the day before, and then the rest of the cals the day of, and usually have some left over for the next day. I do have to make sure I have some carbs before my run (I run alot of my shorter runs fasted, but not 10 miles and up). And, I have to eat something within a half hour or so of the run so I don't crash and want to sleep the rest of the day. That is not to say I might not lay down for a half hour or an hour afterwards!
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Since I always have a rest day after my long run, I'll save about 1/3 of my earned calories for the next day. I haven't had any trouble going that route, either being hungry, or with weight loss or running results.
  • agottshall2013
    Options
    Anyone have examples of what they usually do for a recovery drink right after a long run? I would love to start experimenting with concocting my own rather than just buying a Gatorade type pre-made one.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Anyone have examples of what they usually do for a recovery drink right after a long run? I would love to start experimenting with concocting my own rather than just buying a Gatorade type pre-made one.

I am no expert but if you don't want to buy the pre made ones I would recommend a smoothie, try to incorporate fruit, milk, oats and some whey protein powder.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you are not lactose intolerant or do not have a dairy allergy, just drink chocolate milk. It's darn near the perfect recovery drink if you can drink milk!
  • thejamie1900
    thejamie1900 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a 10K in the morning and I am hungry now. Would like to go out and eat big tonight... been a couple of years since I ate any pasta. I worry that if I start it as a trend, it might break me. Already have trouble keeping the weight where it is.