bad math at the gym :) - women and weights

Options
kathleennf
kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
OK so I've been lifting for about 15 months- so I'm not a "newbie." I did the trainer's program for a year, then in January switched to the New Rules program just to see how it went. I am out of town a LOT, so it has taken me until today to get to the last routine of Stage I. I log everything in MFP so that I can track my progress.

So- today there I am at lunch hour - no one else in the gym besides me and a guy who looks like he is no stranger to the weight room, and I set up my deadlifts, looking at what I had logged on Friday. Max on Friday was 115, so the first warmup lift was 55 and the second 85, according to the instructions in the book before doing my 3 sets. I thought I could go up to 120- so I started the first warmup set at 60. Good. Second warmup 95- also good. Then somehow, with all the math of adding and subtracting the weight of the bar, I got confused either between the 55-60 thing and the 155-160 thing or else between 115-and 155, whatever- I set up the bar for 160. Waited my minute. Tried to lift it- boy that was heavy! No way. So I thought geez, I know you have good days and bad days, but... tried again- no luck. The guy is looking at me. So I took off 5 lb. I lifted it- one rep. Haha. OK. So I go to check my log. OOOOOPS! Haha well that explained it. I reset it at 120 - no problem.

Why am I telling you this? Mostly I hope it gives you a good laugh!! But also- my three lessons:

1> Don't be afraid to laugh at myself
2> Never worry about what other people (may or may not) think and
3> If it seems way too heavy, don't push it. No harm done.

And wow- I did one rep of 155! How bout that! :laugh:

Replies

• zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,901 Member
    Options
    Did give me a life. Great dead lift by the way. I have been known to mess up the math a bit now and then myself. LOL

--Shelley
  • jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get FURIOUS at myself when I am adding/subtracting weight. I don't know why I have trouble with "weight math".
    Yesterday I yelled the math as I was doing it in my head.
    "185 PLUS 20 PLUS 15 EQUALS 220!!!!" (I work out at home).

By the way, I'm a phycisist with a minor on mathematics. So don't feel silly. Math is hard when you're getting your pump on.