Low sodium snacks

Options
Help, I need a few ideas for healthy low sodium snacks. I'm getting bored with fruits and protein shakes

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Unsalted seeds and nuts or seed and nut butters.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. Hummus is good if you really read the labels.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I cut up a bunch of veggies every Sunday night for the week, so I have something handy to snack on. Maybe with a little homemade hummus for some protein.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Unsalted seeds and nuts or seed and nut butters.
    ^^THIS I buy 3lb bags of almonds for Sam's Club (Daily Chef); they are 0mg sodium and taste great as-is! Quaker Oatmeal (in the cardboard cylinder) with craisins and/or unsalted sunflower kernels in low sodium and very filling. I also buy large bags of b/s chicken breast, boil several pounds at a time and have ready in fridge for quick-to-make meals (sandwich, salad, stir-frys,etc.) Keep massive amounts of frozen veggies around as well. Quick to make and most are very low sodium. Also a fan of fresh baby carrots.

*Edited to fix punctuation and to add PASTA! Barilla Plus has plenty of fiber/protein and is versatile. Spaghetti day 1-2, Lo Mein day 3-4!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!... I need some low sodium suggestions as well!
  • missBrigina
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :smile:
  • philosohoe
    philosohoe Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Three crunchy snacks with surprisingly low sodium:

1) Terra Sweet Potato Chips: 10mg sodium per 1 oz serving
    2) Trader Joe's Quinoa & Black Bean Infused Tortilla Chips: 50mg per 1 oz serving
    3) Trader Joe's Vacuum Fried Pineapple Chips: 0mg per 1/2 cup serving (these are pretty high in sugar of course w/ 21 grams per serving)

Best thing you can do for yourself is take an unhurried stroll through whatever snack aisle you like and read the labels. Fresh is the best for you, but sometimes convenience foods feed those cravings just right.:laugh:

And just an FYI in case you didn't know, eating out almost anywhere is going to overload you on sodium. For example, one 8 ounce serving of Panera's Vegetarian Black Bean Soup has almost 900mg of sodium. :frown: Assume that anything with cheese as a main ingredient is going to be ridiculous.

Good luck!:flowerforyou: