lost my hiney

So.. lost 25 lbs.. 55 yrs old im 5 ft 2 120 lbs..but i lost all my muscle... dont tell me...I KNOW my body ate my muscle What do I do now? I am lean .. HELP!!!!!!!!

Replies

• my mom told me that if I unscrew my bellybutton my butt would fall off..

you didnt happen to unscrew said bellybutton, did you?
  • pookymeadows
    pookymeadows Posts: 3 Member
    hullo?????????
  • pookymeadows
    pookymeadows Posts: 3 Member
    bump
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Strength train to build muscle
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    eat at a surplus and lift heavy weights
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    primarily squats
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    You don't have to lift heavy. You just need to do workouts where you do weighted exercises. I use my own body weight and no more than 5 pound hand set and am seeing progress I'm happy with. I'll build from there and don't like gyms.

Look up the "NoNonsense 30 Day Challenge" group. It's basically called "circuit training". I've lost fat in inches and gained muscle in muscle group areas while doing it. Everything, you can do at home in about 30 minutes. Similar to results from Jillian's 30 Day Shread, a $10 video that will also help build muscle while attacking fat.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    What is a hiney?????
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Squats. Eat enough to build muscle.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    my mom told me that if I unscrew my bellybutton my butt would fall off..

you didnt happen to unscrew said bellybutton, did you?

ahahahahaha!!! I needed this today! I'm dieing laughing over here!

Sorry about your hiney problems!
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Do squats.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    You don't have to lift heavy. You just need to do workouts where you do weighted exercises. I use my own body weight and no more than 5 pound hand set and am seeing progress I'm happy with. I'll build from there and don't like gyms.

Look up the "NoNonsense 30 Day Challenge" group. It's basically called "circuit training". I've lost fat in inches and gained muscle in muscle group areas while doing it. Everything, you can do at home in about 30 minutes. Similar to results from Jillian's 30 Day Shread, a $10 video that will also help build muscle while attacking fat.
    It's a misconception that one builds muscle while losing fat. While there are a couple of exceptions, building muscle means adding mass. That means adding a surplus which counters losing weight.
    What's really happening is that fat is being reduced and muscle one's never seen is being "revealed" giving the misconception that muscle is being built.
    Also to build muscle, resistance must be progressive for overload.
    Circuit training builds muscle endurance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member

It's a misconception that one builds muscle while losing fat. While there are a couple of exceptions, building muscle means adding mass. That means adding a surplus which counters losing weight.
    What's really happening is that fat is being reduced and muscle one's never seen is being "revealed" giving the misconception that muscle is being built.
    Also to build muscle, resistance must be progressive for overload.
    Circuit training builds muscle endurance.

QFT, also put in a much nicer manner than I would have.

Eat slightly above maintenance and go lift :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    So.. lost 25 lbs.. 55 yrs old im 5 ft 2 120 lbs..but i lost all my muscle... dont tell me...I KNOW my body ate my muscle What do I do now? I am lean .. HELP!!!!!!!!
    If you didn't have the hiney to begin with (muscle underneath) then chances are you didn't lose it. Since the hiney holds a lot of fat, that's probably what's happened.
    I've seen this happen lots of times, which is why I have my clients all do glute work while they lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    I'm in a similar position. A few years ago I lost about 18 pounds at about 1 pound a week, and I completely lost my butt. Then I slowly regained much of the weight but it came back as a spare tire around my middle. So, thick middle + no butt = no good.

I am an older lady like yourself, and I think that has something to do with it. In the past, I used to gain and lose weight evenly all over my body. Now it all wants to clump around my middle and my back. Yuck!

I am finally losing some of that middle now, and here's the thing-- trying to regain some semblence of butt via targeted exercise to build those muscles. The only other way I know of is surgical implants, but that's not gonna happen!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Go do glute work.

Glute ham raise; squats (both weighted and body weight); lunges, dead lifts.

No, you don't need to lift heavy, but like a good friend said in the forums not that long ago - lifting heavy stuff gets you there faster.