216 heart rate during HIIT. ...normal?

Options
I was wearing my HRM for my first session of HIIT, and my max heart rate was 216. That seems REALLY high. Is that normal? I did jumping jacks (but, like, a coked out high speed version), and the whole workout lasted less than 15 minutes, as everything I've read about HIIT said start off with a fairly small increment of time. Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That seems CRAZY high.. I mean I had mine going to 194 and I had to stop my workout for fear of passing out....
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I thought so too. I've literally been sitting here for like 15 minutes and it's still at 100. I double checked it by taking my pulse manually - it's accurate. Perhaps I overdid it? I just want to make sure I'm not, like, endangering myself.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What HRM do you use? You may have to restart it if it is doing that I have the polar FT4 and sometimes it does that. But, let me tell you, if your heart rate was actually 216 you would feel it and probably feel out of breath, etc.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Like in a heart attack kind of way... sorry I hit reply too fast.
  • RingSize8
    Options
    I actually feel really good. ...sitting here. Haven't gotten up yet. Kinda afraid to. :/
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The old standard for maximum heart rate used to be 220 minus your age...so unless you're 16, that seems awfully high. I'm 43 and I try to workout at 75-85% of my max, which for my age is 132-150.

However, I don't know much about HIIT or if there is a range one is supposed to be in for that type of workout.

This is just one of many links I found that might help you calculate a healthy range:
    http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/heartrate#
  • fishlover888
    Options
    How old are you? The younger you are, the higher your max HR. Also sometimes athletes with more cardiovascular fitness will have higher or lower max HR, and there are many genetic factors too.

216 is pretty high, tho if you aren't having other symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, pain, shortness of breath, it's not a super big deal to worry about...

If you find your HR jumps during a not so super intense workout that would be cause for concern. Or if it keeps happening, or worrys you, you could always ask your physician for a referral to a cardiologist for testing.

What is your resting HR?
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is usually 180+ during most or all of my workouts and goes up to 210 or so. So while it can be normal (I feel totally fine and my heart rate goes back to almost rest within just a minute or two), go to the doctor as soon as you can to get it checked out.
  • RingSize8
    Options
    Grrr. I was hoping someone who actually did HIIT would respond, perhaps it's unique to that form of training? I guess people are too busy PM each other silly questions to actually discuss fitness...........
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yikes, that seems so high. The highest I've seen mine, is like 167. On a run. Is your HRM functioning normally? Like have you had it for a while?
  • RingSize8
    Options
    My resting HR is usually about 60, though I've been 'resting' for over 30 minutes now and it's still at about 90.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    The old standard for maximum heart rate used to be 220 minus your age...so unless you're 16, that seems awfully high.

The 220-age estimate is not really loved in the health field anymore because it isn't that accurate and there is a lot more variability from person to person as with everything based on averages. 220 - age is still used because it's the easier to do, math wise! But HRmax = 208 - (0.7 × age) is more accurate, and a cardiac stress test is the only truly accurate way to know for sure. Either way though, you are right that it really isn't normal to have a max HR that high.

Sorry for double post
  • milanojs
    milanojs Posts: 9
    Options
    Its seems to be way to MUCHO, your HRM its ok? or its out of range, i know that some people can do that high but i think that is so RUDE, you must be careful with that, when you are that high i think that the exercises dont burn in the same way, (can you google the phase of hitt and you will find the answer) but if you feel good i mean, nothing diferent its ok.. bit watch out
  • RingSize8
    Options
    I'm 27. ...normally I run, and even when I sprint I don't think I've ever broken 200. Probably not even 190. My HRM is only a few months old, and to the best of my knowledge, working properly. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    How is that even possible? lol.. I don't have a HRM but I am wondering if you need to get a new one or if there is a setting on your HRM that you forgot to set?
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've done HIIT before and I've gotten my heart rate up to about 210 when I first started now I can get a little over 200 but that is pushing really hard. The more you do HIIT the fitter you and your heart will get and your heart rate wont get that high. As long as you feel fine no chest pain, dizziness, nausea then I think you should be fine. I actually feel like i haven't worked out unless i get my heart rate up to the top percentage or over. What HIIT work out are you doing, I love Turbo Fire!

Also you will notice that after doing HIIT your resting heart rate will stay eleveated for the next 24 hours thats why they say not to do HIIT workouts on back to back days.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    go by how you feel. the 220-age is a myth since it doesnt take into account individual fitness.

for instance i'm 41 an i'm pretty darn sure someone like dara torres who's about the same age as me should be sticking to the same range as me.

another thing to keep in mind in that HRMs can get wonky when you have sudden increases in your heart rate which will happen during HIIT. my goes up 190s when i'm doing 11-12 mph sprints.
    you would feel it and probably feel out of breath,
    . yep but that's the point of HIIT, to work anaerobically. so that you ARE out of breath. that's also why it's recommended that only healthy people do it. if you have heart issues then you shouldnt be doing something so stressfull.
  • Rhiana1188
    Rhiana1188 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT too, and my HR will get up in the high 190s. When I do sprints, I've gotten up past 200. I was asking this question today, myself, because all the formulas tell me my MHR is 184, but I'm obviously hitting WAY over that mark. I would say, if you feel fine, you shouldn't worry. You could call your doctor and ask but I'm thinking it kind of depends on the shape you're in as to how hard your body is having to work.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My average is always high for HIIT--like 170s and once when I did a particularly challenging one, my max heart rate was around the same--like 214 or something like that. I was shocked! It was hard and I was out of breath but I did well. I think you will see pretty extreme spikes, but how high was your average HR?