Elliptical info??

Options
Can anyone tell me how well of an excercice you would get out of an elliptical? And how long I should go for? As right now the most I can get in is like 2 mins

Replies

• samzchevy
    samzchevy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do 60-65 mins on the eliptical usually I burn between 600-750 calories and 4 miles or so. When I started I could only do about 10 mins at level 1. Now i change it up from level 1 for 5 mins--level 5 for 30 mins---level 10 for 15 mins---level 5 for 10mins and then a 5min cool down.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's an excellent workout and a lot easier on your knees and legs than a treadmill. We have both and I try to mix it up but yesterday I did 45 min on the treadmill and strained a muscle in the top of my foot. Today it still hurt but I was able to get on the elliptical and go 60 minutes/3.5 miles.

I remember a couple years ago my husband was using one at the fit club and he started losing weight like crazy. I decided to give it a try and could hardly go 2-3 minutes. I just kept pushing a little longer each time. I've found that if I use upbeat music and my headphones it goes a lot faster. If you can get to that 5 or 8 minute mark, then you'll feel like continuing to go! Try the music and try not to watch your time, just go!

Intervals are good to do also. You can really get your heart rate up. I just started MFP and I see you did also! The first week I worked out like crazy then the next couple didn't do much but I got on the scales yesterday morning and lost 2.8 #'s so now I'm excited and ready to push harder! I've been reading through the success stories to get motivated.
  • GiseleT88
    GiseleT88 Posts: 17
    Options
    Today i burned over 1400 cal doing 130 mins on the elliptical. I set it to the highest and most intense lvl. When i first bought my elliptical i could barely do 10 mins but after time it became easy for me. I honestly love love love using an elliptical! Take your time and go at your own pace....you will see change :)
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love the Elliptical... I can burn over 1000 calories in 60 min... Upbeat music is a must.
    Keep trying and up your minutes each day..
  • vamari22
    vamari22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my preferred cardio exercise. I usually do 60 minutes 3-4 days a week, burning around 1,000 calories per session. I find I burn more calories with the elliptical than with other cardio workouts, and it's easier on my joints and upper body than running on the treadmill.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like the elliptical. I find I don't burn enough calories on it and have to work longer to get the same burn I would get doing HIIT on the treadmill or doing a workout video.

I won't sugarcoat it, elliptical sucks and is only worth using if you have an injury (or knee issue) or if you have a super preference toward it. I think it's a time waster.

Doing squats would give better results IMO if you are doing it to get a better butt.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I do the elliptical for 90% of my cardio, though I do play racquetball, and run bleachers when the weather is nice. I do the elliptical for 30-60 minutes at a time. I like to do intervals of high intensity with intervals of low/medium intensity. It works for me, and I get to eat more food and still lose weight. It's also very low-impact and doesn't cause problems for most people in their hips and knees, etc. Nice choice for cardio, but it is boring--I couldn't do it without some good music or TV. ;)
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical but i find it incredibly boring so i usually dont do it for longer than 30 minutes. I burn about 350 cals. the elliptical isnt some magic calorie melter though, i burn the same doing a 30 minute workout dvd.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    I have an elliptical but i find it incredibly boring so i usually dont do it for longer than 30 minutes. I burn about 350 cals. the elliptical isnt some magic calorie melter though, i burn the same doing a 30 minute workout dvd.

Yep, I agree!! It's not magic at all!! It's just boring old work. I'd prefer to do something more fun, but it's convenient and fits my schedule, so I tend to end up on it a lot!! Lol
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Yep, I agree!! It's not magic at all!! It's just boring old work. I'd prefer to do something more fun, but it's convenient and fits my schedule, so I tend to end up on it a lot!! Lol

I liked your TV suggestion.. never tried a machine that had a TV. Maybe that would have made it more interesting.

Kettlebells burn more calories in 20 minutes than an elliptical did for me in an hour.
  • kelcileigh
    kelcileigh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am just starting but I usually burn around 600 calories on level one for an hour. I started about 3 weeks to a month ago. I started doing around 4 miles in an hour and I am already at 4.8-85 miles in the same time. The improvement feels good! I eventually want to play around with the intensity levels, but for now I'm just getting the hang of it. I prefer music but every once in awhile I'll watch TV.

I broke my leg in 3 places a few years ago so this makes it easier for me to get a good cardio workout in. The treadmill hurts with the constant coming down on my ankle.
  • lisagyo
    lisagyo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband and I bought a cheap ellipitcal at Sears a few years ago and we keep it in our basement. I try to jump on it every night for about a half hour. It's boring and I need to watch TV while I'm on it! He always goes on it for about a half hour every other night. He's got knee problems so we went with the elliptical over a treadmill.. it works for us.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have to say the elliptical is my choice for cardio (I have a treadmill and stationary bike too ... I know, I'm spoiled). I do watch tv while I workout (I don't watch TV otherwise) so that actually is a pretty good motivator for me and it keeps me entertained. I do have trouble putting in more than 20 minute at a time, just because my feet tend to start to hurt or feel numb. It's actually a ton worse in shoes, so I use slippers (another benefit of a home gym, no one looks funny at me for that!). I usually put in several (3-6) sessions in a day though. I burn just under 200 calories for 20 minutes/2miles (according to the machine readout). Your resistance and speed will impact both your workout effort and calorie burn ...

I also like that is is quieter than the treadmill (I HAVE to have subtitles on when I'm on the treadmill or I can't catch everything).
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill. If I wanted to just walk, I would go outside and walk.

I usually change which program I do (Hills, Intervals, Cardio Burn) each day, and I try to bump the level up or add minutes.

As far as motivation, I have several different playlists. Each one (depending on how long it is), varies in tempo. I match my pace/stride to whatever the music is doing. So I may start off with a moderate pace, then amp it up to something faster, then slow slightly, then speed up again. I also change direction from forward, to backwards. It works the muscles in a different way.

I've worked up from only 20 minutes (when I first returned to the gym in March) to nearly an hour. Calories burned depend on my pace and how I'm feeling. Sometimes I keep a moderate pace when I'm overly tired from weights, or just not feeling the beast mode.
  • MissAmber215
    MissAmber215 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to despise that machine. Now I absolutely love it! I've been ablento do up to 60 minutes on that thing. I wish you the best of luck on upping your time on it. You will see results trust me.
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I burned over 800 calories in 65 minutes while watching Mission Impossible on the elliptical at the gym today. Pretty good workout for me and no hip or knee pain. I love the elliptical!