Stomach pain.... digestion issues

Options

Replies

• pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What probiotic did you start? I have IBS and my gastro doctor said to take Align because the other brands combing more than one type of probiotic. According to my doc the multiple strain types can cause more gas. My stomach felt a lot better when I switched to Align. It is expensive, though. BJs has it the cheapest if you switch and are near BJs stores.
    Good luck!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    High protein diet is doing the same thing to me too, and I usually average more than the recommended fiber....but I've realized that I need good fats in there too. I try to get at least half if not whole tbsp. of olive oil in there somewhere. That has helped a lot. Going to try adding even more fiber to my diet (slowly).
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but I don't know... There's a lot of useful information on this thread though. All I can say is I know how painful it is. Hugs!
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here is an example of my daily dairy : According to my fitness pal I eat under 1200 cal (i try to eat that but i can never reach it) fat 22g sat fat 6g fiber 16 g protein 72 carbs 121g
    High protein diet is doing the same thing to me too, and I usually average more than the recommended fiber....but I've realized that I need good fats in there too. I try to get at least half if not whole tbsp. of olive oil in there somewhere. That has helped a lot. Going to try adding even more fiber to my diet (slowly).
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    with 10 cups water
    Here is an example of my daily dairy : According to my fitness pal I eat under 1200 cal (i try to eat that but i can never reach it) fat 22g sat fat 6g fiber 16 g protein 72 carbs 121g
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    just started Algin (how long did it take to work for you?)
    What probiotic did you start? I have IBS and my gastro doctor said to take Align because the other brands combing more than one type of probiotic. According to my doc the multiple strain types can cause more gas. My stomach felt a lot better when I switched to Align. It is expensive, though. BJs has it the cheapest if you switch and are near BJs stores.
    Good luck!
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    Here is an example of my daily dairy : According to my fitness pal I eat under 1200 cal (i try to eat that but i can never reach it) fat 22g sat fat 6g fiber 16 g protein 72 carbs 121g along with 10 cups water. Any advice ? lol
    i've been on a super-high protein diet for a while, and it was what i would imagine childbirth is like on a toilet every time.
    It's a pretty effective approach, but at least for me it was not a sustainable choice. I had to bump up carbs (especially fiber) and healthy fats, and the stomach issues went away (not completely though, every once in a while my stomach bothers me).

i feel like gas-x and the rest are fixing the symptoms, not the issue.

And this is only one take on the potential issue here, too little information. You might've added something to your diet that's upsetting your digestive system, it might be a bug, you might not be drinking enough water, etc.
  • Willowana
    Options
    meg....I was doing 1200 for a long time, and I had trouble eating enough too. Try adding more high calorie foods which will help you reach a more healthy caloric intake. 1200 is too low for just about anymore. I can eat an avocado, but a enormous salad worth the same about of calories? Not so much. Peanut butter (or I prefer Sun butter)....those kinds of things will get you into a normal range of at least 1400-1500 calories. I went up to 1600 tonight because my weight loss is slowing down. That always my cue that I'm not eating enough. It's still well below my TDEE. Plus, once your body has enough to process, the constipation won't be so much of an issue, either.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I drink about 5 16oz waters a day (80oz)
    The diet is also high fiber :(

oh, i'd lean towards "drink more water" then.

Your diet is low fat also?
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    I do shakes about 3-4 days a week in the am made with water and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. I have never had a problem with dairy before though
    If you are on high protein diet,I assume you are drinking shakes..now if you mix them with milk plus you drink more than average..you might be sensitive to lactose..when I started working out I drunk lot of milk on the side of mixing my shakes with it..I had horrible bloating and winds on daily basis..since I mix my shakes with water and reduced my milk intake,my digestion and winds problems are negligible.
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    meg....I was doing 1200 for a long time, and I had trouble eating enough too. Try adding more high calorie foods which will help you reach a more healthy caloric intake. 1200 is too low for just about anymore. I can eat an avocado, but a enormous salad worth the same about of calories? Not so much. Peanut butter (or I prefer Sun butter)....those kinds of things will get you into a normal range of at least 1400-1500 calories. I went up to 1600 tonight because my weight loss is slowing down. That always my cue that I'm not eating enough. It's still well below my TDEE. Plus, once your body has enough to process, the constipation won't be so much of an issue, either.
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    In order to loose the ten lbs I want to myfitnesspal recommended I eat 1200 cals a day.
  • AdaMapes92
    AdaMapes92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 2 years ago and had the same problems when I changed my diet. Fat is essential to your digestive system. If you're not taking in enough fat you will become constipated and bloat because your intestines can't move anything without the lubrication. Drink plenty of water and eat slightly more fat. Extra fiber wouldn't hurt. I started taking a probiotic from Melaleuca and its helped out tremendously.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The powdered fiber you add to drinks that is flavorless and sugarless is good. It also has the benefit of making you feel more full. I like Benefiber. It tends to work slowly, but effectively.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Not a substitute for medical advice, but...

What kind of high fiber foods are you incorporating into your diet? Maybe you could change them up and lower the amounts a bit? Or maybe try foods that are not known to cause as much gas? Not sure what you're eating, but maybe less beans, cabbage, cauliflower, peppers and incorporating more things like lettuce (different varieties) and other greens? Be careful with things like Citrucel because they can also cause bad cramping, but it depends on your system.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yea...see a dr...
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 2 years ago and had the same problems when I changed my diet. Fat is essential to your digestive system. If you're not taking in enough fat you will become constipated and bloat because your intestines can't move anything without the lubrication. Drink plenty of water and eat slightly more fat. Extra fiber wouldn't hurt. I started taking a probiotic from Melaleuca and its helped out tremendously.

This right here except you don't need to keep fat down at all. Eat a lot more fat. I promise dietary fat doesn't make one fat. Eat olive oil, nuts, nut butter, avocado, coconut oil, butter, full fat dairy, etc. If you are limiting your carbs, you need the fat. A lot of it.
  • Willowana
    Options
    You, like the rest of us, probably selected that you wanted to lose 2lbs. per week and you had a somewhat sedentary lifestyle. Those kinds of choices put ALL of us at 1200 calories. Truth is, I lost some weight and then it totally stopped. I recommend you haunt these forums. There's a ton of people that stop losing weight at 1200. If it's working for you right now, then that's cool. But, it's not something you can stay at for a very long time. It's not realistic, healthy, or feasible for the long term. I see plenty of skinny, short, petite little girls running around here pounding down 1800-2000 calories a day. Do what works for you, but you will find 80-90% of the people here will tell you 1200 isn't good for you or your weightloss goals. If you have any weight to lose, then you were easily eating over 2000 calories before coming here, so you can certainly go up without sacrificing.

When I was at Weight Watchers, I was losing about 4 lbs. per week. MFP....I've been averaging a pound here and there. When I calculated my WW points, they had me at about 1700 calories. So, I bumped up to 1600 tonight. If the weight comes off more quickly, I'll probably bump to 1700 and see how that does. :wink:
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This right here except you don't need to keep fat down at all. Eat a lot more fat. I promise dietary fat doesn't make one fat. Eat olive oil, nuts, nut butter, avocado, coconut oil, butter, full fat dairy, etc. If you are limiting your carbs, you need the fat. A lot of it.

I don't know if you have whey protein, but some people cannot process it (similar effects as lactose intolerance). Also, I agree with having some olive oil. Even a teaspoon a day would probably do you wonders.
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A GREAT book about diet and digestion. Called "You Are What You Eat". It's probably the way you're eating that is making you gassy and constipated. If you don't have enough fiber in your diet, or enough nutrients in general, a low carb diet is going to play bad games with your belly. Low carb diets are not healthy. They might work, but they aren't healthy. A clean diet consisting of whole grains, raw and lightly cooked veggies, fruits and some lean meats is best. Seriously, read this book. It is a game changer!