toasting quinoa?!

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Hi everyone!

I really want to try quinoa but I'm not really sure how to cook it. I know that lots of people are saying you can cook it just like how you would cook rice, but then I have seen some people say they "toast" it before cooking....

how do you toast it? What does that mean? After you toast it, can you still put it in a rice cooker like usual?

Thanks!

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I really want to try quinoa but I'm not really sure how to cook it. I know that lots of people are saying you can cook it just like how you would cook rice, but then I have seen some people say they "toast" it before cooking....

how do you toast it? What does that mean? After you toast it, can you still put it in a rice cooker like usual?

Thanks!

Saute it in a bit of oil of your preference (even nonstick cooking spray works) before cooking. Gets rid of the slightly soapy taste and brings out the nutty flavors.
  • rm7161
    Options
    also, you can do this with brown rice (or any whole grain rice... red and black are also quite nom), and it makes it tastier :)

It might pop on you like little popcorns if you do it too long though :P It's ok, however... they still cook up fine.
  • j99li
    Options
    Do I have to cook it with oil/cooking spray or can I just heat it up over a non-stick pan? And will it still cook like normal after?
  • vamari22
    vamari22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually just boil the quinoa in some chicken or vegetable broth, the same way I would rice, and love it. I don't get any kind of soapy taste. Will definitely need to try it toasted, though.
  • j99li
    Options
    also, you can do this with brown rice (or any whole grain rice... red and black are also quite nom), and it makes it tastier :)

It might pop on you like little popcorns if you do it too long though :P It's ok, however... they still cook up fine.

I am very excited to try it this weekend!
  • rm7161
    Options
    Do I have to cook it with oil/cooking spray or can I just heat it up over a non-stick pan? And will it still cook like normal after?

Yes you can use a nonstick pan instead. It will still cook normally :) I don't have a nonstick pan hence I use a little (teeny tiny) bit of oil.

Quinoa does have a soapy taste, they even warn you about it to wash it thoroughly so it is reduced. Some people notice it more than others, though. I notice it if it is not toasted. I love things like cilantro but not too wild about that in quinoa, so I toast.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It needs to be rinsed because the plant contains saponins which will cause dietary distress in most people.
  • rm7161
    Options
    It needs to be rinsed because the plant contains saponins which will cause dietary distress in most people.

saponins ... the source of the soapy taste :)

But it doesn't get rid of it completely for me. Some folks are more sensitive to the taste of that sort of thing.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I rinse it + put it in the rice cooker. Easy peasy. 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water, works perfectly every time!
    I also usually throw in 1/2 of an organic veggie boullion cube for extra flavor (or you can use broth). Red quinoa is my favorite :)