Stomach pain.... digestion issues

Options
13»

Replies

• Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, and that BOGUS 1,200 calorie recommendation by MFP is the cause of so much grief and problems on here....

Please know that eating that little will cause you nothing but problems and get you nowhere near your goals.

Also be aware that MFP's other defaults are BOGUS too, such as for Sat. Fat and Fiber, etc. A normal fiber level is going to be around at least 25 grams. I average between 30-45 grams of fiber a day (from my food, not a fiber supplement).
    In order to loose the ten lbs I want to myfitnesspal recommended I eat 1200 cals a day.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    with 10 cups water
    Here is an example of my daily dairy : According to my fitness pal I eat under 1200 cal (i try to eat that but i can never reach it) fat 22g sat fat 6g fiber 16 g protein 72 carbs 121g
    High protein diet is doing the same thing to me too, and I usually average more than the recommended fiber....but I've realized that I need good fats in there too. I try to get at least half if not whole tbsp. of olive oil in there somewhere. That has helped a lot. Going to try adding even more fiber to my diet (slowly).
    16 g of fiber is NOT high fiber. Even on 1200 calories. I think 1200 is too low, too, but if it's working for you and you want to stay there, up your fiber to at least 24 g per day and eat some more healthy fats--not a spoon of olive oil, but nuts or avocado so you get some fiber and extra calories, too. And for the record, 72 g of protein isn't high protein either. Unless you weigh 72 lbs. I weigh 110 and I eat at least 1g of protein per pound per day, and I'm usually only at about 25%. You are using MFP's suggested percentages is my guess, and they are incredibly low for fat and protein. Change them to 30f/30p/40c and feel free to go over on protein and healthy fats. Oh, and eat more fiber.

For the record, your numbers don't add up to 1200 calories (you said you aren't eating that much, right?). They add up to less than 1000. Eat more. And if you don't want to take any of the diet advice here, get some Magnesium Citrate. It will clear up your constipation.
  • Thedij
    Thedij Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add a 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of flax seed to your salads & it should help with your constipation.
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    could you give me an example of your daily nutrition dairy? I am 117 at 5"4' . I would like to get to 110 but healthily. I have been trying to educate myself on the internet but I haven't found any good info. Do you know of any good books? I eat a lot of veggies (hence the issues I am having. How many calories do you have a day?
    with 10 cups water
    Here is an example of my daily dairy : According to my fitness pal I eat under 1200 cal (i try to eat that but i can never reach it) fat 22g sat fat 6g fiber 16 g protein 72 carbs 121g
    High protein diet is doing the same thing to me too, and I usually average more than the recommended fiber....but I've realized that I need good fats in there too. I try to get at least half if not whole tbsp. of olive oil in there somewhere. That has helped a lot. Going to try adding even more fiber to my diet (slowly).
    16 g of fiber is NOT high fiber. Even on 1200 calories. I think 1200 is too low, too, but if it's working for you and you want to stay there, up your fiber to at least 24 g per day and eat some more healthy fats--not a spoon of olive oil, but nuts or avocado so you get some fiber and extra calories, too. And for the record, 72 g of protein isn't high protein either. Unless you weigh 72 lbs. I weigh 110 and I eat at least 1g of protein per pound per day, and I'm usually only at about 25%. You are using MFP's suggested percentages is my guess, and they are incredibly low for fat and protein. Change them to 30f/30p/40c and feel free to go over on protein and healthy fats. Oh, and eat more fiber.

For the record, your numbers don't add up to 1200 calories (you said you aren't eating that much, right?). They add up to less than 1000. Eat more. And if you don't want to take any of the diet advice here, get some Magnesium Citrate. It will clear up your constipation.
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I took milk of magnesia, is that the same thing? if so it didnt work....
    could you give me an example of your daily nutrition dairy? I am 117 at 5"4' . I would like to get to 110 but healthily. I have been trying to educate myself on the internet but I haven't found any good info. Do you know of any good books? I eat a lot of veggies (hence the issues I am having. How many calories do you have a day?
    with 10 cups water

• JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    One other thought: if you are having gastric pain, often starting prevacid, or a generic counterpart and staying on it for several weeks is helpful. It reduces extra acid buildup in the stomach. I wonder if a stomach is used to a different diet, or real food, you may have a buildup of gastric juice with nothing to do but eat your stomach lining. ICK. I doubt it can hurt, but you could always run it by your Dr. It's OTC.
  • Marshie13
    Options
    robiotic will take a few days and some people are very sensitive to it and cannot take it. How many units are you taking? Make sure it is active and that it does not disolve until it enters your digestive tract. I take 20 Billion a day. Keeps me regular. Try warm heat and intestinal massage...good luck. that sucks!
  • Marshie13
    Options
    lol....love the green
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you've gone from eating a large volume of food in a day to <1000 calories (which is a much smaller volume of food), your guts might be still getting used to pushing it through efficiently. Get more fibre and fat. You're good for fluids, I bet.

Another thing you can do is increase your physical activity - I don't mean work out super intensely for a short period of time, but make sure you're up and moving around (ie. walking) especially if you have a sedentary job.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ...could you give me an example of your daily nutrition dairy? I am 117 at 5"4' ....
    [/quote]

So, here's the thing: a 5'4" inch, 117 pound female person MAINTAINS at netting 1600 calories a day or so. If she NETTED that every day, she'd not lose. She can exercise and eat back to get to those calories. For her to get from the top of her "healthy" range to perhaps a more fit range, it's recommended to cut 500 cals per day to achieve 1 pound of weight loss per week, a healthy amount. As she can only drop to 1200 and be healthy, that means cutting only 400 per day rather than the normal dieter's 500. This is not extreme dieting for her size in terms of calories. For her size, it amounts to an expected weight loss of .4 per week, on a good week. That's less than .8 per month.

Not many would be motivated enough to pursue it for the cost. One rule does not apply to all of us equally because we are sized so differently to begin with. We are fueling smaller machines. I wonder how many people would want to get down to a size 4, or 110 range if they knew they could only net 1400-1600 calories for the rest of their lives if they wanted to stay there?
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Natural Calm, best magnesium supplement according to my dietician, my chiropractor and my family medical doctor. Research this product for all the benefits, there are many, it is pricy, around $45 per month when used daily. but that is only a dollar plus change per day for all the benefits and a healthy happy digestive system. For probiotics look for Eco fermented coconut water. For an excellent book on the gut read Gut and Psychology Syndrome. Talks about the GAP diet. Extremely informative and will go over all the issues you and others have raised. I do not follow it to a T, but there is a lot of research and plain medical facts that make understanding your diet obtainable. Good Luck!