Cutting out food groups

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm wanting to cut some food groups out of my diet. Right now I don't really eat healthy. I will follow my calories and stay in the lines but I will still eat bad things like a 700 calorie cheeseburger because it fit into my allowance.
I would like to eventually eat a raw food diet or close. I'm not going to jump right into it because I know I will fail because I have before. What should I cut out first? Bread? Meat? Cheese? And how slow should I go. I am also concerned about protein because I can't eat a bunch of nuts.
Any tips or opinions are welcome.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

-Shelby

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Why on earth do you want to go on a raw food diet?

Anyway what you should cut out first depends on what your reasons are. I'd cut out meat but that's because of my own personal ethical beliefs.

Oh and not eating nuts shouldn't be a problem. I'm vegetarian and I can't eat a bunch of nuts because I can't afford the calories. Legumes, eggs (until you cut them out), dairy (until you cut that out), tofu, tempeh etc will all give you protein.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut out entire food groups purely for the purpose of eating healthier or for weight loss (excluding medical/personal decisions). "Bread" and "Cheese" are not food groups - that would be 'processed grains' and 'dairy', which aren't "unhealthy" in their own right unless you are gluten or dairy-sensitive.

What are your reasons for wanting to transition to a raw food diet? If you are currently eating cheeseburgers, you have a long way to go to get to that point, and I think you should research the raw food lifestyle thoroughly (outside of MFP) before attempting it.
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut out entire food groups purely for the purpose of eating healthier or for weight loss (excluding medical/personal decisions). "Bread" and "Cheese" are not food groups - that would be 'processed grains' and 'dairy', which aren't "unhealthy" in their own right unless you are gluten or dairy-sensitive.

What are your reasons for wanting to transition to a raw food diet? If you are currently eating cheeseburgers, you have a long way to go to get to that point, and I think you should research the raw food lifestyle thoroughly (outside of MFP) before attempting it.

^^^^^^^ This!!!!

I cut dairy out from my diet, not as a "healthy diet choice" but because it screws about my both my asthma and my skin. There is no point in cutting any food group out without good and valid reason. You can eat every food group and have a healthy diet and lose weight. Don't deny yourself stuff purely for the point of denying it and hoping it'll help you more. Research it, or go talk to your GP they can help you further. I think that so many people go "oh, I don't eat this food group" or "I won't touch these" makes other people think "uh-oh, does that mean I shouldn't either?" Start by making healthier choices rather than jumping into any particular diet, or cutting entire groups out xxx
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sensitive to dairy. I love bread and pasta and I know that the bleached and processed kind is terribly unhealthy and I have no interest in the whole grain stuff. I'm concerned with nitrates and other additives in meat, and buying organic is not an option because I live in a small town who's grocers carry few organic things.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sensitive to dairy. I love bread and pasta and I know that the bleached and processed kind is terribly unhealthy and I have no interest in the whole grain stuff. I'm concerned with nitrates and other additives in meat, and buying organic is not an option because I live in a small town who's grocers carry few organic things.

Honestly, I can't understand your thinking.....what ever happened to just balanced diet?

Ok if you are sensitive to dairy, maybe consider lactose free kinds and see how you react to those...there is nothing wrong with dairy unless it does actually make you ill, then cut it out, but you know you may have sensitivites to some, but not all, maybe explore that a little before cutting it out in a massive sweep, esp if you don't want to eat meat, there are important vitamins and minerals that are simply easier to get from animal products.....I can't possibly understand how you have "no interest" in whole grain stuff, and are "concerned" about meats and stuff not being organic..and yet you are interested in a raw diet..I'm wondering exactly what you plan on eating and where you think you will be getting you vital nutrients from, like calcium and protein...you are not much out of childhood...how long do you plan on doing this??? i have nothing against the vegan and vegetarian diet, it can be a very well balanced diet...if one take the time to make sure the include everything the body needs, it sounds to me like you plan on living on salad.

Lets be realistic here..why not eat a healthy balanced diet? I mean seriously the leap between 700 calore cheese burger and the raw food movement it massive, why do you need to be so extreme? You can be healthy in the middle ground.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to restrict food groups unless you have a medical reason for doing so. If you are eating at a deficit then it will have little or no impact on your weight loss.

Also bear in mind that successful weight loss is achieved by any method which can be sustained for life. Do you really want to never eat a cheeseburger again? If so then that's great but the majority of successful people I know prefer to eat the foods they most enjoy. Just eat a bit less and move a bit more.
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear some positive feedback from someone who is vegetarian, vegan, raw, etc and how they transitioned into it. :)
    I've been wanting to quit dairy for some time. It causes stomach upset (not all the time) for me. And does anyone else think it's disgusting that humans drink another mammals baby food as adults?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear some positive feedback from someone who is vegetarian, vegan, raw, etc and how they transitioned into it. :)
    I've been wanting to quit dairy for some time. It causes stomach upset (not all the time) for me. And does anyone else think it's disgusting that humans drink another mammals baby food as adults?

Don't forget to ask for advice on Paleo, the Blood Type Diet, Weight Watchers, the Twinkie Diet and South Beach.

Just to be safe.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you might be on your way to an eating disorder, that is if you don't already have one. It's just food. Really..
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I cut broccoli, I feel fantastic for it.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I cut broccoli, I feel fantastic for it.

Then what do you eat with your chicken breast and brown rice? ;D

EDIT: Oh, OP said vegan.
    *Tofu breast and quinoa.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    And does anyone else think it's disgusting that humans drink another mammals baby food as adults?

Well no actually, I usually drink at least half a liter a day, I could live on milk!!!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Christ, not this again.

So you are sensitive to dairy. Cut that out then. There is absolutely no reason to cut out any other type of food group.

I don't understand how eating a cheeseburger would make you want to switch to a raw food diet. Why not just cut out the cheeseburgers? You are making things far more complicated than they need to be. :huh:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    And does anyone else think it's disgusting that humans drink another mammals baby food as adults?

Well no actually, I usually drink at least half a liter a day, I could live on milk!!!

Ugh . . .and vegetables use poo to grow?

I'm not eating those disgusting things anymore.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Then what do you eat with your chicken breast and brown rice? ;D

EDIT: Oh, OP said vegan.
    *Tofu breast and quinoa.

Ice cream tends to go well.
  • little_miss_panda
    Options
    We are the only species that drinks the milk of other animals to be fair. But we have in most cultures (Asians being a notable exception, who are frequently lactose intolerant due to lacking the enzyme to digest it) adapted to it. I do eat dairy, but am conscious about how the animals are reared, so I do not buy commercial mass produced dairy produce, or low fat dairy products (lower in fat, but higher in milk sugars and lower in nutrients)

If you think it's gross, you don't have to have dairy - you can get calcium from other sources. Cutting out dairy really is very simple - don't buy it, and don't eat it.

The single best food group (if you could call it that) to cut out, if you ask me, would be sugar (and by association refined carbohydrates). Sugar has no nutritional value, it's literally just calories.
  • Meg_78
    Options

Ugh . . .and vegetables use poo to grow?

I'm not eating those disgusting things anymore.

WIN!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    We are the only species that drinks the milk of other animals to be fair.

No actually - my cats love a bit of milk / cream / ice cream. I'm pretty sure if cats had opposable thumbs they'd be milking cows too.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The only food group you need to eliminate is junk food. everything else eaten in the right quantities is the healthiest diet going.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    We are the only species that drinks the milk of other animals to be fair.

No actually - my cats love a bit of milk / cream / ice cream. I'm pretty sure if cats had opposable thumbs they'd be milking cows too.

Totally! Other animals don't do it because they can't, not because they don't want to or wouldn't.

Cheeseburgers isn't a food group, it's a generally bad food choice if you're watching calories unless you have room in your budget. Cutting out whole food groups without an allergy or intolerance is completely unnecessary.