Has anyone tried Zumba?

Options
I've heard some talk of it and I saw an infomercial on it last night. It looks very fun. I'm just wondering if it's actually useful and does what it says it does. Has anyone tried this in the past?

Replies

• lauradee
    lauradee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am curious too if anyone is getting any weight loss results or shaping up from Zumba. There is a class starting in my area on July 6th thought I might check it out.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    I've heard some talk of it and I saw an infomercial on it last night. It looks very fun. I'm just wondering if it's actually useful and does what it says it does. Has anyone tried this in the past?

Not sure what it is, but if its fun I'll try it.....
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba classes at 24-Hour Fitness. I don't know what your infomercial promised (I assume it was a program of DVDs), but it's really fun to do. It is easy Latin and hip hop type (and some African/middle eastern) choreography. I weigh in the mid-high 150s and if the teacher is boring or I'm not into it I burn about 400 cal/hour and if the teacher is great it's closer to 600 cal/hr. So not quite as much as running, but it is usually great fun. Basically it's this decade's jazzercise/step/whatever aerobics: whatever you put into it is what you will get out in terms of calorie burn.
  • gz960
    gz960 Posts: 7
    Options
    I enjoy it. I've done a couple classes through our community center. It was something to mix up my routine so nothing I've done long term. Fun to do with friends too. The community center was good but I did try another class with someone who does it for a living and there was a big difference...way better workout! I've heard the tapes aren't as fun but haven't tried those. Most local dance studios offer Zumba with drop in rates so you don't have to commit before you try. It might be worth it to call around. I didn't have my HRM at the time so I'm not sure how many calories I was burning but it was fun and you kept moving!
  • WonderNoodle
    WonderNoodle Posts: 549
    Options
    taking a class this thursday night (first class free). looks like a blast. my girlfriends are having fun with it. what the heck, will give it a try!
  • dawnsmith
    dawnsmith Posts: 1
    Options
    I love Zumba. Our class is an hour long and it's fun. You are dripping sweat by the time you're done
  • mzcapricorn1982
    mzcapricorn1982 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Yes I have tried Zumba and I love it. I stopped going only due to the time and travel. I am in the meantime looking for a local one in my hometown. But it is wonderful. With my participation I went down a pants size in 2 wks. (I was able to tell from wearing a pair of pants I bought that were too small). But it is really fun and the time goes by so fast. To me it felt llike a party :)

I hope you give it a try and good luck with all of your goals and endeavors!!
  • AniSlim
    AniSlim Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, and i am doing it, it is so much fun! I do it for 50 minutes at the fitness center and you won't even know you are exercising. I do it twice a week!
  • janeebop
    janeebop Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm going to start Zumba this week at our locak YMCA. I'm sooooo stoked! I've heard Zumba is awesome!
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    We do Zumba during our lunch at work once a week and its a blast. You will have fun. Its a workout for sure!!!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Everyone should come over to our group "The Zumba Crew" Look for the thread under fitness and exercise!
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    I teach 8-10 hours of zumba a week and have lost 50 lbs on it. It's a fun workout :)
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    YES!! Love love love Zumba! It is the most fun you will ever have while burning a ton of cals! I have lost 16.5 lbs since February.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I've been going to zumba classes since like, November or so...It is SO MUCH FUN! There are different levels of intensity so you can push yourself or bring it down a notch if you have knees problems like I do. When I started (around 260 pounds) I would burn 1000+ cals in an hour. Now that I'm down to 230-ish, I burn 750-850 cals/hour. Its also a lot of fun to watch other people dancing. We have one guy thats been showing up the past several weeks and he tries to shake his hips but just doesn't quite get it like women do lol! My gym only offers zumba once a week but now they've started teaching a class at WORK! The first class will be Wednesday and I'm excited! It'll be fun to do it with a group of coworkers and a different instructor.

But YES! YOU MUST GO!!!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I go twice a week and burn around 500 cals each one-hour class.
  • katrinah013
    katrinah013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! I have the DVDs and it is as much fun as it looks! Sometimes I don't want it to be over after an hour!
  • Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    I've started teaching 90 minute classes, 4x a week cuz people don't want it to be over in an hour! :)
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I go to Zumba every wednesday! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba my instructor is amazing though! I usuammy burn about 500-600calories each class.
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    It's held at the gym I attend, I did the class once and I couldn't keep up. It's very fast paced and it really works your mid area.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm addicted to it! So much so, I had to order the dvd's for when I am going through withdrawals and the gym doesn't have a class that day!