Spaghetti squash in Melbourne?

Options
ashleab37
ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
Does anyone know where in Melbourne I can get some?

Replies

• pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know where in Australia you can get some. So many of my friends have recommended it, and it looks like fun stuff! :p
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think your best bet is to grow it yourself in your backyard.
    I've never seen spaghetti squash at the supermarket though you might be lucky at the Saturday fruit & veg stalls at the Victoria Market.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    We got it once in our Aussie Farmers Box. I think I've seen it at the markets to.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex St Kilda gal and we used to find it in some of the local supermarkets and green grocers...as well as the south Melbourne market...but this was a while back so maybe its not so common now....sometimes its called spaghetti melon..and it is melon looking so maybe its there by you are not seeing it..plus...isn't it more of a autumn winter veg? So maybe its just wrong time of year?
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I moved here from Canada 7 years ago and have never seen a spaghetti squash in Melbourne supermarkets and can't recall seeing any at farmers markets or Vic Markets, but that doesn't mean they don't occasionally pop up!
  • nasminou
    nasminou Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it in the queen Victoria market in the city but I've found it in the IGA next to home (st kilda - fitzroy street)

And yes, try it, it tastes great. I did some yesterday with Bolognese sauce and the kids loved it!
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm near Sydney and I have never found it anywhere. I just attempted to grow my own with very dismal results! But the one (yes, just one!) that I managed to grow was delicious! I bought the seeds from a website called greenharvest
  • sunny1shine
    sunny1shine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    a year too late, but ^ above me resurrected the thread. fountain gaet shopping center-veggie shop at the entrance near tgif
  • Any recent spaghetti sassysquash sightings in Melbourne?
  • mooatme
    Options
    Just found this site... Looks like we can get some in a couple of months , but with a little adventure to get there!

http://www.weekendnotes.com/spring-creek-organic-farm-shop/
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in Sydney and I've seen it at Harris Farm Markets.

I would suggest trying local fruit and veg shops - and if they don't have it, ask if they can get them in! :)
  • Lissarellashrinking
    Lissarellashrinking Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mootame- thanks for link to Spring Creek organics (http://www.weekendnotes.com/spring-creek-organic-farm-shop/)

I just found them on Facebook too.

Looks like they sell Spaghetti Squash in April/May (yay) at various markets across Vic during the month.

3rd Saturday of the Month:
    Gasworks Farmers' Market
    Fairfield Farmers' Market, Fairfield Primary School
    Smythesdale Farmers' Market

2nd and 4th Sunday of the Month:
    Mt Alexander Secondary College, Farmers' Market

3rd Sunday of the Month:
    Talbot Farmers' Market

4th Saturday of the Month:
    Ballarat Lakeside Farmers' Market
    Newtown Farmers' Market
    Coburg Farmers' Market

I'm going to try 'Mt Alexander Secondary College Farmers' Market' (Flemington).
    Might not get there this month as I will still be on crutches but I will endeavour to get there and report back.

P.s I do Zucchini pasta with a vegetable spiralizer and I think its great!
  • kerri185
    kerri185 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey everyone, saw this post a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across some spaghetti squash at Westfield knox today! Was extremely excited and thought I'd share in case anyone is local or willing to make a trip. I found it at the fruit and veg stall in the middle of knox and it's called spaghetti marrow not spaghetti squash.

Cooking my first batch soon :)

Hope this helps :)
  • roryoprey
    roryoprey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They have it at la manna in essendon
  • meetjack
    meetjack Posts: 1
    Options
    I used to live in Sydney (between 2008 - 2014) and they had it at the Bondi Junction "Norton St grocer". You'd best just give them a call before you go visiting because they don't always have it. Just google bondi junction norton st grocer for the number and call them to see if they have it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's a huge fruit and veg shop in Highpoint where I've seen it - I haven't had it since I was a kid, I need to pick some up!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    They have it at la manna in essendon

Love LaManna they have EVERYTHING!