Gaining Muscle - no fat loss

Options
I am super frustrated.

I've been trying to loose weight for over 10 months, and little has happened. I am switching to a mostly vegetable diet, but with little results.

Anyway. I've begun weight lifting... and I have gained a lot of muscle... but I just feel like I'm not loosing any fat. The scale won't budge and my measurements are the same as nine months ago!

Nothing is changing despite muscle building. I am feeling myself just giving up on trying to loose weight. My thyroid is fine... and its just... the weight won't come off no matter what I do.

Edit: But I will say that my clothes ARE fitting much better... I'm just stumped.

Replies

• nbrueggeman
    Options
    No one? Really?
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but I've found that if I'm gaining muscle, it takes a long time for the number on the scale to actually go down. Maybe try running or doing something that requires a lot of endurance. Endurance is great for burning fat. I'm sure someone can explain this better than I can!
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders typically have a cutting and a bulking phase. During bulking they know they need excess calories to build good muscle but with that comes adding fat. So they will then cycle to a cutting phase where they want to shed that fat and hold on to as much of the muscle at the same time.

To drop fat you need to be in a calorie deficit
    To gain muscle you need to be near or over your TDEE.

Rather than simple loss mode or gain mode you can break it down further.

1. Concentrate on fat loss only - aim for 25-30% TDEE reduction and accept any minor muscle loss
    2 - Concentrate on fat loss with minimal muscle loss - aim for 15-20% under TDEE with a solid macro ratio
    3 - Concentrate on no fat gain and small muscle gains - aim for TDEE with solid macro ratio and adjust +250 cals on the daily TDEE and track and log the result
    4 - Concentrated bulk with accepted fat gain with muscle - Solid macro split with +20% on TDEE

Maybe some of this will help - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921403-yes-you-can-quick-start-guide-to-fat-loss
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How long?
    What are you doing exactly for exercise?
    Open your diary. Your stats would be helpful, height and weight b
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I am super frustrated.

I've been trying to loose weight for over 10 months, and little has happened. I am switching to a mostly vegetable diet, but with little results.

Anyway. I've begun weight lifting... and I have gained a lot of muscle... but I just feel like I'm not loosing any fat. The scale won't budge and my measurements are the same as nine months ago!

Nothing is changing despite muscle building. I am feeling myself just giving up on trying to loose weight. My thyroid is fine... and its just... the weight won't come off no matter what I do.

Edit: But I will say that my clothes ARE fitting much better... I'm just stumped.

If you are eating at a deficit you are not building any muscle outside a pound or two of newbie gains. You normally lose muscle when you try to lose weight. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle.

If you aren't having results... change what you are doing. Eat at maintance for a week or two and than drop back down. Change the exercise you are doing. Exercise longer... do a different exercise. etc.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

You haven't gained a lot of muscle if your measurements are the same.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    If I'm not... then why do my clothes fit on me better. Nothing makes sense anymore. ugh. I honestly feel like just giving up and letting the fat win.
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    Clothes that didn't fit me months ago are fitting now but measurements are the same, and so is weight. :/
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you've lost 8lbs and you say your clothes fit better...those ARE changes!

Had a peek at your diary, a couple of days you've not even eaten 1,000 cals and 320 of those are donuts. Your body need nutrition and a certain amount of calories to keep you going in a healthy manner.

Try and net more, eat a bit 'cleaner' and drink lots of water, it all helps.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Keep the weights
    Keep cals constant
    Introduce 30 minutes of any form of cardio you like 3-4 times a week if you are not doing any
    Invest in a decent activity tracker and ensure you keep you daily activity (moving, walking, standing etc) as high as possible
    Give it 4 weeks
    Assess results
    If it doesn't work or is slow drop cals by 10%
    Repeat
    Assess

You'll find your calorie sweet spot eventually....
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    if your clothes fit better then something is working, what does your diet consist of?
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 20 pounds, my clothes fit much better but my waist/hip measurements haven't changed. I've lost a lot of fat all over and from my belly (in between hip and waist lol) so the difference is visible, which it might not be to you if you've lost 8lb. You probably need to be measuring fat with callipers or something to be sure of the difference.

You don't have a lot of weight to lose but also you're in calorie deficit a lot of time time - and bear in mind your calorie goal already has a deficit built in, so *you need to eat to it* or very close. If you feel more comfortable working to a deficit then set your weight goal to maintenance and then you can be short 500 cal a day without a problem. But this is likely why you're not losing weight or gaining much muscle.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    How long?
    What are you doing exactly for exercise?
    Open your diary. Your stats would be helpful, height and weight b

this
  • nbrueggeman
    Options
    The donut is really out of character for me. Sugar is in general. I usually eat fruits. I haven't touched fast food in over a month or so. The only packaged food I eat is some fiber snacks and frozen vegetables or fruits, but even those are rare.

And Monday (sunday?) It says I had to finish off 420 calories, I ate those later and forgot to log it in.

I will eat up to my limit, but if I exercise that day (usually burning 240-300 calories in cardio alone) I swear I start dying of starvation. :(

I am so lost and hopeless.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    plz post age, weight, open diary, and specific goals and i think you will get a more detailed response
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am super frustrated.

if your clothes are fitting better i would hazard a guess you are losing inches? i am rubbihs at measuring in exactly the same place each time, maybe that shwy you think your measurements arent changing?

how much of a deficit are you working with at the moment?
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a large deficit, you are likely not gaining much muscle. If yourclothes fit better, then your measurments have changed somewhere. If you are lifting weights, you may want to up your calories. What is your height and weight? Also, you should log EVERYTHING, if you forget, go back and log it. I get in the habit of logging everything in the morning for the day so I don't forget. Like others have said, try to stay away from packaged foods, eat your alloted calories and keep to your macros. There is no reason you shouldn't be losing weight if you are doing all of this, if there is no underlying medical condition. Good luck! :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The donut is really out of character for me. Sugar is in general. I usually eat fruits. I haven't touched fast food in over a month or so. The only packaged food I eat is some fiber snacks and frozen vegetables or fruits, but even those are rare.

And Monday (sunday?) It says I had to finish off 420 calories, I ate those later and forgot to log it in.

I will eat up to my limit, but if I exercise that day (usually burning 240-300 calories in cardio alone) I swear I start dying of starvation. :(

If you exercise then you should be eating back your exercise calories. That's why when you log x calories burned during exercise that amount is added to your total daily goal. Eat them back, it will help fuel your body so that you can keep doing exercise.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

if all you're eating is fruit and veg and no protein that won't be helping your situation, the idea of a good diet is to eat a balanced diet, pack in whatever nutrients you can to whatever calories you require for your size, you also say the last time you had fast food was a month ago, but you're complaining of dieting for 10 months, so... theres an issue there that needs to be addressed

i'd call this day 0 make a vow to not hit a fast food chain for say... 6 months, if you hand over your weight, height and bmi you can get a definative answer to alot of your questions, get a decent food plan going and track everything religously from now on.

you're in the right place for support and advice, if you use it wisely you'll lose the weight you want to