Anyone lose belly pouch by dropping carbs & sugar?

Options
I have been counting calories and exercising for quite some time. However, I feel like I should be futher along than I am. One thing I seem to keep coming back to is changing my diet. I have read numerous reports suggesting to cut refined sugars and carbs to reduce belly fat. Anyone have any luck with this? I normally eat around 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise 3-4 times a week. I change it up by running, cardio classes at the gym, spin, swimming, body pump, etc. I have lost almost 20 pounds and two pants sizes over the course of a year, but still have a belly pooch. :( Thanks in advance!

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar will not reduce belly fat. Nothing will reduce belly fat on it's own.

Work on lowering your body fat % .. that is the only thing that will hopefully eventually get rid of the belly. Best way to do that is to eat at a small deficit, max out on protein, and lift heavy. You want to retain as much muscle as possible and lose body fat.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Belly fat goes away just as fat anywhere else does. Carbs (sugar is a carb, by the way) don't have anything to do with where the fat decides to come off first and last. Belly fat is often the last to go.

Just keep reducing your body fat % and it will go away eventually. Exercise (maybe ease up on the steady state cardio and take up strength training) and eat at a moderate caloric deficit to get rid of your belly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depending on your body type, it might be the last place you lose too. I think even when I was at my lightest 14 years ago (125 lb) I still had some belly.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am 20 pounds away from my goal weight and I still have quite a bit of a belly.. ugh.. If it doesn't disappear then I don't care.. I feel awesome.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories and exercising for quite some time. However, I feel like I should be futher along than I am. One thing I seem to keep coming back to is changing my diet. I have read numerous reports suggesting to cut refined sugars and carbs to reduce belly fat. Anyone have any luck with this? I normally eat around 1200-1500 calories a day and exercise 3-4 times a week. I change it up by running, cardio classes at the gym, spin, swimming, body pump, etc. I have lost almost 20 pounds and two pants sizes over the course of a year, but still have a belly pooch. :( Thanks in advance!

get down to 10-14% body fat... no pooch. :smokin:
  • trance79
    trance79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Suggestions on how to get there? Lol I've def always carried my weight in my mid-section. Lift more weights?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Cutting those things alone won't get rid of belly fat but you'll notice a decrease in bloat and water retention.
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I found that reducing carbs, particularly white flour that my stomach became visibly smaller. I am sure that it is reduced bloating rather than fat loss.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Losing it is nothing about exercise or the type of food you eat. Its really all down to sticking to a deficit until your body fat percentage is lowered.

As a bloke it was around 14-15% when it just started to begin going, im currently at 12-13% and reducing, and at 8-10% it should be gone.

For a women that range is going to be naturally higher ~20% going towards a very althetc 14-15% it would be gone.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My belly has become smaller by eating at a deficit and exercising.

Carbs and sugar have nothing to do with my smaller tummy.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Suggestions on how to get there? Lol I've def always carried my weight in my mid-section. Lift more weights?
    Create a calorie deficit via exercise and nutrition.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar will not reduce belly fat. Nothing will reduce belly fat on it's own.

Work on lowering your body fat % .. that is the only thing that will hopefully eventually get rid of the belly. Best way to do that is to eat at a small deficit, max out on protein, and lift heavy. You want to retain as much muscle as possible and lose body fat.

Yep.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    unfortunately there is no quick fix and it's my worst body part too. don't cut carbs, you need them. instead try eating brown rice instead of white, brown bread instead of white and limit your pasta. These all bloat me
  • shallowhal
    shallowhal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cutting those things alone won't get rid of belly fat but you'll notice a decrease in bloat and water retention.

I agree, white bread makes my stomach bloat. Also the more water I drink the better for loosing the water retention!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If these foods are the things you tend to overeat, then by all means cut them, but they aren't going to be more effective than cutting any other calorie. They're just easiest to cut because simple carbs and sugar don't have a lot of micronutrients unless enriched with them. A general calorie deficit will help you get to your goal. If you're going for a lean look, then hold on to your muscle mass by getting sufficient protein and exercise (strength training and cardio).

Unless you're trying to get down to some sort of essential fat figure like a bodybuilder, there's no need to dehydrate yourself or engage in carb cycling or to reduce these foods too much.

It would be easier if the writers giving nutrition advice in magazines and articles would just admit that it is calories in, calories out, and that cutting calories is just "easier" to do with certain foods like carbs and sugar rather than making people think that they can eat the same calories and merely cut the carbs and sugar. They make it unnecessarily confusing.
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I followed the belly fat cure diet by limiting sugars and I dropped weight like crazy. My stomach is much flatter. No exercise either. Avoid carbonated drinks...they bloat. Plenty of water and fiber!

Down 38 pounds and kept it off for over a year now!

I eat vegan though...that helps me too.
  • jodiebarrette
    jodiebarrette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm finally seeing some results from putting more intensity on the elliptical machine and walking 6 miles a day on the weekends. Sit-ups aren't working for me--more trouble on the back than the results. Try concentrating on moving the waist line and a rowing motion with one hand weight.
  • ToriKern
    ToriKern Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit should we have daily?
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The old 'rule of thumb' is you will consistently lose about 1 lb/week if you reduce your daily intake by 500 calories. Personally I wouldn't recommend reducing by more than this unless you are experienced and know what you're doing.