I NEED A SCALE!

Options
Can someone please recommend what name brand scale I should buy? Looking for the most accurate one that money can buy, hopefully one that can be purchased locally vs having to go online.
Thanks!

Replies

• mngmay
    mngmay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a new one, too! My electronic one keeps crapping out on me and is not consistent. Reviews online seem to be all over the place or rigged, I don't know what I should get!
  • Hingers
    Hingers Posts: 2
    Options
    The most accurate (and most durable) will be what are known as 'balance scales.' They are either the same as or very similar to the ones found in most doctors' offices, clinics, and hospitals. You will never have to buy another scale -- but you may not have the room for one of these, or the budget. If you want to learn more, go to an online medical office supply firm. Google for one that is reasonably close to you, so that you keep the shipping costs down. Good luck finding something that works for you and isn't too big or too expensive.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on scales just use a tape measure its so much cheaper takes up less room and is more accurate than the scales, scales have the power to make or ruin your day ????
  • Hingers
    Hingers Posts: 2
    Options
    Do both -- scale and tape measure, especially if you are dealing with pre-diabetes. Unfortunately, there is nothing inherently accurate about tape measures vs. scales. It's easy to measure oneself in the wrong place and so to fool oneself into believing in better or worse results. Doing both allows one to cross-check "reality." That said, it's best not to weigh or measure oneself too often. Once a week (on the same day at the same time), or once every two weeks, is enough. Body weight is not rocket science; it's a snap shot. Weigh yourself later or earlier and you will almost certainly have a different result. As the previous poster hints, over attention to measuring body weight can easily slip into neurosis. What we all want is a fairly slow, steady decline in weight over a period of several weeks or months. One to 1-1/2 pounds per week is a good target. More than that is probably asking for trouble.
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem so I researched on amazon review after review and I just received my new one! I love it so far also comes with a awesome tape measure.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8SLH8I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

check it out!
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart Precision PLUS... I also measure as well.

...Health o meters are good too...you can get them at Walmart.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    we chucked out electronic scale as it was so inconsistent - randomly adding and removing 7 lbs - not on consecutive days, but consecutive minutes!! We've gone back to a non-electronic one. Don't know how accurate it is, but while the numbers keep going down I'm not getting another one:wink:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on scales just use a tape measure its so much cheaper takes up less room and is more accurate than the scales, scales have the power to make or ruin your day ????

This. I bought a fancy scale and now I only weigh in once a month because it doesn't reflect my hard work the way a tape measure does.

If you insist on buying one, I've found Taylor works well, but I've only owned 2 different scales in my life. I think the important thing is to consistently weigh in under the same circumstances and on the same scale.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Food scale or weigh in scale?

Why does the weigh in scale need to be accurate? as long as it is consistent. If I lose 2 pounds this week I want the scale to reflect that, but I can live with the scale being off by one pound for my overall weight as long as it is always off by one pound.