Any other PCOS ladies struggling to lose weight?

Options
I was diagnosed as having PCOS about two years ago. I've been doing a lot of my own research on it, and find that many doctors acknowledge it IS harder for those of us who have it to lose weight. I have an appointment with an Endo this week, and really hope she can provide more insight as to what I can do to improve my success. I'm looking for inspiration from anyone else who also has PCOS. Success stories?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS? What does it stand for?
  • Reign
    Reign Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have been told and read that it is harder to lose weight, but it is possible. I have heard you should really cut back on carbs. Every person is different, so don't give up. Eventually you will see results!
  • Reign
    Reign Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What is PCOS? What does it stand for?

PCOS is PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but I had a co-worker that did and she mentioned having PCOS and trouble with weight loss. Her doctor had her on Metformin. :ohwell: Sorry I don't have anymore info for you but she was taking it, she lost weight and last I heard she got pregnant...
  • jadag
    jadag Posts: 1
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. And, I was diagnosed with being insulin resistant and having a fatty liver, among several other things. I have been on Metformin the whole time. It IS hard to lose the weight, but it can be done. I had lost 47 lbs in a little over a year when I was first diagnosed....cutting out carbs, eating mostly lean meats, veggies, and fruit, some whole wheat bread/pasta AND exercising. Exercising is key....at least 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
    I met my now fiance and have gained it all back.....very quickly and easily. So, I'm in the process of losing again. But, I know it can be done and I also know that it has to be a lifestyle change and you have to remain active.
    Best of luck to you and follow what your endocrynologist says. :smile:
  • NovelaNite
    NovelaNite Posts: 9
    Options
    Yeah...I've lost about 20 lbs since January. It's frustrating that its moving so sloooowww. I work out 5 - 6 times a week, stay around 1800 cal/day, and it just feels like my body is really fighting me on this. I was on Metformin previously, but hated the side effects. I'm hoping the doc will have some other recommendations too. I'll keep ya'll posted on what she says.
    Thanks for the support ladies!!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. And, I was diagnosed with being insulin resistant and having a fatty liver, among several other things. I have been on Metformin the whole time. It IS hard to lose the weight, but it can be done. I had lost 47 lbs in a little over a year when I was first diagnosed....cutting out carbs, eating mostly lean meats, veggies, and fruit, some whole wheat bread/pasta AND exercising. Exercising is key....at least 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
    I met my now fiance and have gained it all back.....very quickly and easily. So, I'm in the process of losing again. But, I know it can be done and I also know that it has to be a lifestyle change and you have to remain active.
    Best of luck to you and follow what your endocrynologist says. :smile:

I am similar, except I eat plenty of protein and fats, eat mostly veggies and fruit is used as desserts and treats not a regular part of my eating plan, but occasionally.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I've had PCOS for the past 7 years or so. I take Metformin and have also had a hard time losing the weight. It is very frustrating. The insulin resisitance is horrible and it doesn't help that I have a horrible sweet tooth. :embarassed: Best of luck to you!! It can be done, but it does take longer to lose the weight.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for the past 7 years or so. I take Metformin and have also had a hard time losing the weight. It is very frustrating. The insulin resisitance is horrible and it doesn't help that I have a horrible sweet tooth. :embarassed: Best of luck to you!! It can be done, but it does take longer to lose the weight.

Best thing for you to do would be to get rid of the sweet tooth..............The detox is not pretty, but it is worth it.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I've lost about 20 lbs since January. It's frustrating that its moving so sloooowww. I work out 5 - 6 times a week, stay around 1800 cal/day, and it just feels like my body is really fighting me on this. I was on Metformin previously, but hated the side effects. I'm hoping the doc will have some other recommendations too. I'll keep ya'll posted on what she says.
    Thanks for the support ladies!!!

twenty pounds since january is fantastic!!! i also have pcos and have been eating 1300 calories since last may and didn't lose any from june to novemeber, one pound a MONTH from december until may, and just this week lost one pound in ONE WEEK, which is huge!

to the o.p., it may take a long time, but stick with it! you can do it!
    dawn
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with PCOS but have insulin resistance. It is excruciatingly tough for me to lose weight as well. I lost 20 pounds in 8 months (while breastfeeding AND on metformin) about 4 years ago... gained 10 back within a month of stopping bf'ing... and the rest plus more back since then. (Ugh). I'm trying again... it is just so incredibly hard for me to try to lose weight when it seems to fall off of everyone else and I have to work three times as hard for half the weight loss. I'm trying really hard to stay positive and not beat myself up over the fact that if I'd just stayed with it, I could've come a lot closer to goal over the last 3.5 years instead of just adding on more work for myself.
  • taraboo89
    Options
    I'm really struggling to lose weight I have pcos and started exercising about six weeks ago and trying to follow a diet plan despite exercising 3-4 times per week for a minimum of 1 hour I have only lost 1lb I am completely at a loss as to what I can do bar cutting out all carbs which I can't stick to