Weight loss clinic

Options
hey everyone i am a 23 yr old female from cali. so today i will have an appt for the weight loss clinic. They have a program that 9 to 11 weeks depeding on how much you want to loose. i have been hearign so much positive feedback from about this place i just wonder is it to good to be true. a co-worker of mines went and has been on it fot 4 weeks and has alreadly lost 15 lbs. so im wondering what do you guys think. with in this program they give you b-12 shots and pills to help you loose water weight and to curve your appetite. has any one else tried or heard of this please let me know.

Replies

• ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Sounds like program a couple of my friends are on.. is it Medithin? We have a clinic here that just opened up.. They eat VERY low carb(20-30 a day maybe), get b12 shots, and appetite suppressents. They both have lost weight quite quickly doing this without exercise.

Here is my two cents..just my opinion... although I would LOVE for my weight loss to be faster..been doing this lifestyle/exercise thing for 2 years.. I do not think it's healthy. In my opinion, again just an opinion, I think if you don't learn to eat right and throw in a little exercise it won't work. Are you going to consume 800-1000 the rest of your life? Are you never going to eat rice, potato, pasta, bread, etc. ever again? To me it's unrealistic.. they recommend very little exercise on this program as well.

I do know they gradually introduce more carbs into your diet..I also know that my friends who have "splurged" a day got really sick..like made themselves vomit they felt so bad..

I spoke to a dietican about it and her concern was the long term effects on your liver..

I also know it's very expensive.. 400 initial fee for bloodwork, ekg, etc.. then 40 dollars a week minimum not include pills, shots which they only give enough for one week

It's up to you and your decision is whats right for you..far be it for me to judge.. Best of luck on your decison..weight all the pros and cons and see where it takes you.
  • nettamarie
    nettamarie Posts: 23
    Options
    yea thats was also my concern . but i havent got all they information yet i will see when i get off work. i have also thought about herbalife but im not suire. i just need something that is convient and healthy since im always on the go. but whatever i choose i was still planing on working out, whether its at work or gym. im adding that somewhere in my schedule.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was doing this, in fact I still am, just more on and off than anything. Ok...so here is what you need to know in my opinion.

1. This is not a permanent fix if you do not change your habits. You will feel like you are full, no doubt..so of course it is easy to lose weight. But think about it, if you are still going to eat fast food every day but less quantities, what will happen when you are not taking the pills anymore? You will gain the weight back, fast! I am not saying you eat fast food all of the time by the way, it is just an example haha.

2. There are side effects. To be honest, I haven't really had any other than I couldn't sleep the first night. I never had the shakes or mood swings, or other things people talk about. Just give it a few days for your body to adjust and go from there.

3. The appetite suppressent doesn't last long. It worked for about 3 weeks for me, now I don't feel it at all.

4. The energy is the best part. It is not a cracked out kind of energy like people claim, but a constant, feel good energy. My fitness levels have sky rocketted since taking this, which is why I continue. I already had low blood pressure, but now it is excellent. I stopped taking this for about a month, and still worked out everyday without feeling tired. That was the main benefit for me, it really helped me get over some fitness hurdles, and now I have better workouts. That is what really changed my body!

5. I have about 7 pills left, and then I am getting one more month. I teach, so I am saving the pills for the first few weeks of school which are hectic and draining. The remaining pills I will save for later on, maybe the holidays. LoL the appetite suppresent would be great if it still worked for me, but I use MFP to control my calorie intake. Oh, and I only did the 1200 calorie diet for a few weeks. As much as I work out, it was not realistic. (I worked out just as much before I started taking.)

6. Just a note...my own doctor spent about 10 minutes ranting about women who take the pill, and then gain the weight back afterwards. Her own words were that women take the pill looking for a miracle, and then get all mad when they gain the weight back because they didn't make any changes while taking it. That is the easiest and most common way that women do this diet. It will not work, and it will backfire! But, if you can make the changes and learn from it, plus not have any side effects, I would recommend it to anyone!!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    quit trying to take the easy way out...results with these methods are temporary. Use MFP to track your food, this will allow you to still eat WHATEVER you want, and keep control of how much of it you eat. This way, you won't feel deprived, grouchy, and all the bad crap that comes along with depriving yourself of good foods. Add in an exercise routine that you enjoy and will stick with. That's it!!! that's all it takes. Eat whatever you want, while creating a caloric deficit, and get some physical activity in. It may take longer to get the results you want doing it this way, but do u want to hand over your money to some clinic forever and take these pills and shots forever as well? probably not. think about it first...do it the right way. your body will thank you for it.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster, but I also know it is not that easy for everyone. You need to find a way that works for you, so my opiion is do what you want, with realistic expectations.
  • nettamarie
    nettamarie Posts: 23
    Options
    THANKS SO MUCH THIS WAS REALLY HELPFUL BUT I DO PLAN ON CHANGING MY EATING HABITS AND WORKING OUT MORE. AND HOPEFULLY IT GIVES ME THE SAME ENERGY .LOL
  • LostButterfly
    LostButterfly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just for the record....

The Medithin information above is wrong!

It is $249 for the intial visit. It is 1 1/2 hours long. You get blood work, EKG, pills for a week, a b12 shot & a sit down with a nurse & a nutritionist.

The visits after that are weekly and its $49, which includes a nurse eval, b12 shot & all your pills for the week.

The diet is Low cal (600-1000), Low Carb, Low fat, High Protien.

they DO encourage exercise!

After you have hit your goal, they have a several week "maintenence" program & once a member you are always a member so you can come back any time if you need too.

If the appitite sepressants no longer work, they have other things you can switch too.