Extra calories earned from exercise

Options
What does everyone do with the extra calories you earn from exercise? I usually eat them, but I am wondering if I really need to.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eat 'em.

There's already a deficit built into your MFP profile. Provided you set it up to lose 1/2lb / 1lb / 2lb etc. when you joined you can eat back all the exercise cals and should still lose weight.
  • JPZ98
    JPZ98 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I usually eat all of mine unless I am just really not hungry. I don't force myself to eat them. I have found though that if I am working our hard I am usually hungry enough to eat most of them.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Eat them. (Or drink them:drinker: :wink: ) I don't necessarily eat them the same day I get them, especially if I know I'm going out to dinner or doing a roast at the weekend.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    First, I look at my macros. If I don't have one gram of protein for every pound of body weight, I eat more protein.

If I do, then I usually have crème fraîche or a pop-tart/ice cream sandwich. Maybe a spotted **** or some blood sausage.

With love,
    Burt
  • bear73000
    bear73000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do you want to use them because you are really hungry or just in a habit of snaking? If you really need them because you feel run down, I would. If you want to use them just because they are there, leave them. You would be surprised how rewarding it would make you feel.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eat them. That's why they're there.

It's not a test or conspiracy. You're supposed to eat them. :smile:
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    Now I am not a USDA endorsed dietician by any means, but I would assume that exercise to increase both your cardio threshold and skeletal muscle strength/size. This probably takes away energy from your other organs and body functions, leaving a deficit. A deficit is what you want in order to lose bodyfat, that is a deficit from your current "maintain" requirement. I wouldn't guess that a deficit from your lean body mass requirement would be productive. My best guess is that a deficit from your lean body mass requirement is actually counterproductive. Vast amounts of data prove that a deficit in caloric intake causes the oh so efficient human body to decrease metabolism because there is a system designed
  • TotallyNotBillNye
    Options
    to keep the body from starving without a struggle. I can only guess, but seems the bad thing about that is the preservation of bodyfat because of it being the next efficient source of energy. Knowing this, the body sacrifices skeletal muscle for the short term of being in a deficit. Basically, eat for your lean body mass....this is my own opinion though. I could be totally wrong.
  • inspiredjen34
    inspiredjen34 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I asked myself that same question and told myself to eat if you are hungry but don't eat them to just them. There are days that I have 900 calories left to maybe 60 it just depends on the day.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have read that we should eat back our exercise calories. My habit is to not pay attention to these calories. I eat them if I am hungry or often I don't eat them. Except, I have, on occasion, done extra exercise in anticipation of a big meal or going out. So, if I know I'm going out for dinner tomorrow and want some latitude on what I eat, I'll work out extra today and extra tomorrow before I go ... and maybe the day after, as well.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try to eat about 60% of your exercise calories and make sure that your net calories do not drop under your BMR.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    We eats them, Precious! Then we work out more to so we can eat more.
  • JVazquez11
    JVazquez11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with SoDamnHungry work out more so you can eat more! However, if you are not hungry then skip the extra calories but if you are hungry then by all means. Just follow your intuition.
  • Monet35
    Monet35 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks everyone, great advice!!
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I don't always eat them back, but lately I have been. From experience, it's a terrible habit to get into to see 'how low you can go' ie, get excited about a huge deficit, and then you're not eating enough.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you are truly hungry then eat them. Pretty much daily I eat back about half (somedays a little more) of what I burn. It is really a personal thing as I know people who don't eat back any back. I just base mine and how I feel with normally I burn a good amount of calories so I would be starving if I didn't eat some of them back :tongue:
  • laura11503
    Options
    Jilian from the biggest loser said the way you do it is burn more calories than you eat. To lose weight. SO CONFUSING. GRR
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Eat them. (Or drink them:drinker: :wink: ) I don't necessarily eat them the same day I get them, especially if I know I'm going out to dinner or doing a roast at the weekend.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

If I am hungry I eat them. If I am not then I don't. Listen to your body. But I agree with the above. If I bank some that is calories I can be over on another day.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Jilian from the biggest loser said the way you do it is burn more calories than you eat. To lose weight. SO CONFUSING. GRR

You are already set at a deficit by MFP. So if you just sit on the couch all day then you are still burning more than you eat if you are logging calories correctly. If you work out you have created and even bigger deficit and can eat them back. The key is to net 1200 calories. Not gross but net! :)