Calorie Advice

Options
This week I am going to do something different and add more calories to see if I can lose weight faster. I've been eating 1200 and burning 1000-1300 each day with exercise. This is only getting me 1.5 lose per week! I really don't know how many calories I should add though. This website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm# says I should do it this way:

Monday 1736
Tuesday 1736
Wednesday 2084
Thursday 1736
Friday 1736
Saturday 1910
Sunday 1736

This seems like A LOT of calories!!! Do these numbers look right to you all?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Replies

• Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    YES! You should be eating 1200 minimum and THEN eating back all the calories you burn excercising. So if you burn 1000 calories in a day you should actually eat 1200.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the page, the calories they were giving me were very high! It was almost 1100 more than what MFP says even with all my exercise calories.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That looks good. Don't be afraid of eating more than 1200 you need fuel for all that exercise!
  • MakeupbyMissVee
    Options
    I personally would flip out if I ate that many calories a day. I am on a 1500 caloric daily intake and sometimes I find it hard to even eat that amount. I usually exercise about 600 of those calories off each day also and I don't try and eat them back. I do what is comfortable for me and my body and I am doing pretty good so far.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    Just want to note that I think 1.5 lbs per week is a very good and healthy loss.
  • jeepin_girl
    jeepin_girl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cindyangotti I was wondering that over the weekend also. I have been told that I need to stay around 1200 calories, but now that I am researching several websites it is calculating closer to 2000. I am going to increase my calories this week also to see if I am able to see a bigger payoff. Good luck and have a good week!!
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    Just want to note that I think 1.5 lbs per week is a very good and healthy loss.

I agree!!!!!! I am just back on it so I expect a little more each week, but in a few weeks I know 1.5 lbs a week will be excellent! Most doctors say 2lbs per week is right and I know some don't believe it, but my doctor a) has a lot more medical knowledge than me! b) is way awesome, so I believe her when she says it!

:P
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm kind of at a stand still as far as weight loss and am interested in this idea. MFP has me eating 1240 cals per day and I do eat all those plus half or more of my exercise calories. I'm curious about the calorie amounts freedieting.com gives. Are those amounts net? Meaning that is where I should be after eating back my exercise cals too? For example...my first day at fat loss (according to freedieting.com) is 1488 cals....do I just eat the 1488 and be done regardless of exercise or if I burn 250 calories do I then eat the 1488 plus the 250 I burned? I'm reading so many things and so many opinions that I'm really just overwhelmed. I want this to be a long term change for my lifestyle and really want to do this the right way.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of at a stand still as far as weight loss and am interested in this idea. MFP has me eating 1240 cals per day and I do eat all those plus half or more of my exercise calories. I'm curious about the calorie amounts freedieting.com gives. Are those amounts net? Meaning that is where I should be after eating back my exercise cals too? For example...my first day at fat loss (according to freedieting.com) is 1488 cals....do I just eat the 1488 and be done regardless of exercise or if I burn 250 calories do I then eat the 1488 plus the 250 I burned? I'm reading so many things and so many opinions that I'm really just overwhelmed. I want this to be a long term change for my lifestyle and really want to do this the right way.

Yes, I think they are including your exercise too. I don't think I will really eat as many calories as they suggest simply because it's a lot!

I know 1.5 is okay but for the amount I am exercising I think it could be more. I work out HARD, at a high intensity. If I was just walking my dog or something small like that I would think 1.5 would go along nicely with that. But I agree, the information on what to do is overwhelming so I'm just going to try different things until I find what my body likes best. Today I just added a little more here and there. Like... a whole tablespoon of whipped peanut butter rather then a half and two ounces of turkey rather then one ounce. I am also going to have a shake or yogurt before I work out, which I never done before. I'll report my success or lack of... on Saturday.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    tough to say if the numbers look right (that depends on your personal statistics), but I'll offer this up, I would do this for longer than 1 week, it takes a few weeks just for your body to adjust to something like this, and with a calorie rise this drastic, a gain would certainly not be out of the question. I would give it a month, the human body likes to do things in months way more than weeks.
  • RobinMSills
    RobinMSills Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more calories at least a couple of days a week. As you consistently eat at a deficit your body will begin to adjust and stop burning as many calories involuntarily. We call it "refeeding" in the community I work out with. It keeps your metabolism guessing, and your vital processes have the fuel they need. I find that my weight loss is always greatest two days after a refeed. It's hard for me to get up to 2000 calories on those days, but it's worth it! As is I eat around 1500 a day, divided over 3 larger meals and 2 smaller. 1200 is really low! I imagine you will see improvements with your workout as you start to give your body some more food.

We like to say "food is fuel!" That helps with the mental side of refeeding.