Anyone training for a half marathon?

Options
I've just started a 16-week training plan for a half marathon on 30th June (Humber Bridge half in East Yorkshire). Would love to be-friend some people who are working towards something similar!

Currently doing 4 X training sessions a week - 2 HIIT sessions on treadmill, and 2 outdoor runs, one of them increasing in distance per week by 1km (starting on 5km)

I need to lose around 1 stone 10lb (24lb) but whenver I focus on weight loss I end up giving up, so a fitness goal works much better for me.

I've done half marathons before but not done one for a couple of years and in that time I've put on a few pounds and let my fitness slip!

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Training for my second in 8 weeks. Do you have any plans to increase your runs from 2 to 3 times a week? Twice a week doesn't sound like a real solid base when you get towards the end.

Edit: Just saw your HIIT was on the treadmill. Scratch my question!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sir, sir, me sir!

I'm doing my first half on 19 June in Lisburn. I have a 12 week training programme that will start on 1 April, but until then I've been running at least once, and more recently twice a week. I've also just registered for the Parkrun scheme, which is a timed 5k run every Saturday morning, so I'll be keeping on with that as a speed run.
  • sunflower_m
    Options
    Training for my second in 8 weeks. Do you have any plans to increase your runs from 2 to 3 times a week? Twice a week doesn't sound like a real solid base when you get towards the end.

Edit: Just saw your HIIT was on the treadmill. Scratch my question!

Ha yeah I'm a real fan of HIIT so thought mixing it up would stop me getting bored and be good for increasing my fitness (plus I get shin splints quite easily so need to limit the amount of road runs)

Good luck for your run in 8 weeks! I'll send you a friend request...
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sir, sir, me sir!

I'm doing my first half on 19 June in Lisburn. I have a 12 week training programme that will start on 1 April, but until then I've been running at least once, and more recently twice a week. I've also just registered for the Parkrun scheme, which is a timed 5k run every Saturday morning, so I'll be keeping on with that as a speed run.

Thats my speed run too! Park run fan over here :D
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Running the Brooklyn half on May 18th
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm training for my first half marathon which takes place in 10 weeks in Edinburgh. I'm just under a stone away from target after already losing a stone.

Feel free to add me if you'd like mutual support!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thinkin' about it. I really like the Rock and Roll series, and I ran 6.5 outta no where last Saturday. Seriously thinking about the Tough Mudder for this year.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I just ran my first half on sunday! I ran twice a week whilst training for it so 3-6miles, an interval run and a long run at the weekend. I also did insanity twice a week for cross training. Looking to sign up to another one soon! and want to lose another stone atleast to get back to goal. Good luck for the training!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half on May 5.. kind of following a plan, kind of doing my own thing :)
  • sburens
    sburens Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im running my first on Sunday!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half this coming Saturday!! Seriously can't wait!

I'm trying to taper this week and finding it a bit hard! I've become addicted to running! I usually run 25-30 miles a week. 2, 6 mile runs, 1 long run (10-13 miles), and then a couple shorter runs (2-3 miles).
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am doing my third in May.
    I've sent you a friend request. :smile:
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am training for my second in May... I do 3- 4 runs a week. Two - Three of them are 4-6 miles with my 3rd or 4th run being a long run. I found a plan on marathonrookie.com and made it my own.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my second half on June 1. Feel free to add me. I'm not following any training plan really. I already have a weekly long run of 10 miles. I will just increase it now every couple of weeks by a mile. I also run 2 other days, do strength training and cross training at the gym. Feel free to add me and have fun training!
  • sheepiegail
    sheepiegail Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half set for April 28th! Did my first double digit long run last Sat. First time out where I really thought. I will be able to tackle the half and do it without bonking. Feel free to friend me. I think I caught the bug for half's!