Weight Watchers Experience?

Options
I need to lose about 40 pounds in time for my mid-August wedding. I've favored a low-carb diet but am looking for something that is more sustainable and won't send me on a huge binge every time I slip up. Simply counting calories and exercising has not worked the best for me in the past, and I'm scared that there's something wrong with me where that won't work if I put my all into it again. (??) So I'm kind of looking for something new, and am looking into Weight Watchers. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with WW? Or any other good ideas?

Replies

• krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble counting calories how will counting points work?
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have had success in the past, when they did the core plan, which was similar to slimming world, but I've never been able to fathom out their point or pro point system x
  • shelbystatic
    shelbystatic Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers. It worked while I was on it because I was terrified of eating my points. I ate mostly sugar free jello and applesauce. I realized that I could be spending the monthly membership fee on a gym membership or something better. The support system stopped working once I realized I really didn't care what the overweight old ladies in my group thought of me. Even with all the money you spend on the membership once you get in there they want you to spend more. They do give you some helpful coupons and you get a little snack while you are there. MFP is the way to go. :)
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a lot of weight with WW years ago. The recipes and things made sense, mainly 'real food' tweaked to make it more healthy. BUT, counting points did nothing to prepare me for life after WW; after all, what is a 'point' in real life? Once I had stopped, I didn't have the means to keep track any more, and so piled all the weight back on again :ohwell:

Counting calories does take commitment, but once you have logged your most used foods it does get much easier, and in my own opinion is far more sustainable in the long term. Counting calories does work, but you have to be utterly honest with yourself, and make sure you weigh things accurately.

Good luck! (and WW magazines and books have healthy recipes, we use quite a lot of them for every day meals now).
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers several years ago. It worked, but as soon as I stopped, the weight all came back. Why? Because I made unsustainable changes.

Also, counting points is the same as counting calories, simply a different scale. So if counting calories is your problem, sorry, but WW won't work, and you will never have sustainable weight loss. It's all about calories in vs calories out.

Lastly, I found that WW more or less forces you to buy their products. I was eating so much processed junk, their snack bars and prepared meals and all sorts of crap I hated. Which is why, once I stopped counting points, I also stopped eating all that garbage and the weight came back.

This time, I am working more on portion control--which is a sustainable change (I hope!).

Anyway, good luck!
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did WW many years ago and all it really taught me was unhealth eating habits. I used to 'save' my points so I could eat what I wanted in the evening without having the worry that I would be over my points for the day (a habit I still have some 25 years later and find extremely HARD to break) I also lived on just cauliflower and tomato ketchup for about 2 weeks and depite pointing this out to my class leader and asking for help no one really cared because I was loosing LOADS of weight. I think slimming clubs are good to a point but as most have pointed out I don't think in lots of ways they prepare you for the big bad when you're on your own
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've never PAID for WW but have followed it a couple of times (old points not pro points). Main problem for me was I'd run out of points by 4pm unless I wanted my evening meal to be lettuce, sprouts and carrots followed by sugar-free jelly. And the weight went straight back once I stopped counting points.

I do use some of the recipe books (but again, they're mostly based on a sneeze-sized portion). My mum used to go and said the first thing you saw each week was the piles of chocolate, sweets etc.

I don't pay someone to tell me I need to lose weight - the mirror and my jeans do that between them for nothing! By tracking calories on here I can make the right decisions through the day - I put on what I fancy for dinner, then either swap out one of the ingredients for something lower or do some extra exercise. You have the perfect reason to want to look svelte and elegant so this will help you - feel free to friend me! (I love a wedding:love: ) - and don't have your final fitting too far ahead or your dress will be too big!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've had success with WW online program twice over the past 4 years. First time around I lost about 60 pounds in about 9 months, second time around I lost around 30 pounds in 4 months. I feel their plan is healthy and do-able, however my issue is that it does very little to prepare you for eating once you go off the plan. I became so obsessed with how many points were in such and such a food, playing games to skim a point here or there, and would find myself hording points for weekend binges or evening binges. While it did help me become more aware of portion sizes, I don't feel that the program really helped me gain control of my real issue of mindless or emotional eating. In the end, I've always gained most of the weight back.

I disagree with prior posts regarding pressure to use WW products. I've never felt it necessary to rely on their packaged food. It is convenient, but totally unnecessary for success. You can easily do WW by eating regular foods you would get at the grocery store.

I will agree with the other poster however that WW is basically calorie counting. Points for foods are assigned based on carbs, fat, and protein....aka calories. My suggestion, save your $, use MFP and exercise regularly.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Option A) "I need to lose ____ by ____" go somewhere else.

Option B) I want to lead a healthier life.

People fail because of option A.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Option A) "I need to lose ____ by ____" go somewhere else.

Option B) I want to lead a healthier life.

People fail because of option A.

^ This. Trying to lose X amount in X amount of time is only going to make you nuts.
  • Kbmom03
    Kbmom03 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had great success with weight watchers. Lost 88 lbs in 2010 and have kept it off ever since. Going to a meeting every week and weighing helped me.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I was very successful on WW about 5 or 6 years ago as far as weight loss goes, HOWEVER... I hated counted points and gained back about 80% of what I lost. This time I started out low carb, which did not do favors for my health and ended up Paleo(ish). I basically just eat real food most of the time with some exceptions. I started losing the weight about a year ago, met my initial goal about 8 months later and have kept it off (actually lost a little more) since. This time it's more about my health and how I feel than the weight loss. Hope that helps!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Most people who have failed with counting calories are either inconsistent in counting or not counting accurately. And I agree with the others who have said that putting deadlines on yourself or weight loss is a recipe for failure. 40 pounds by August is unrealistic unless you are very large to start with.

Stay in your MFP calorie recommendations, develop patience, and select a wedding dress that looks great on your body type.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did WW 4 times and lost weight every time. Gained it all back. I'm on mfp now (round 2) with the approach of learning how to eat and getting lots of support here and making friends! I'm losing way slower than any other time I've tried to lose weight, and sometimes I feel really impatient (like today!) But I know I'm losing it in a healthy and sustainable way.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It depends on what will work for you. WW will work if you stick to the plan. You do not need to purchase their products to have success with the plan. But, I'd agree with the other poster who state it's very similar to counting calories on mfp. If counting calories doesn't work, I'm not sure keeping track of your points will either b/c they're very similiar. In order for ww to work, you have to be comitted to tracking your food and points just as with mfp you track your calories.

My opinion for what it's worth .....