Crappy Gym Advice from a Dude

Options

Replies

• al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me. I've seen guys in there with terrible form though, so I know better than to take their advice.

I'm really glad now that I took a weight training class in college that did a good job of teaching me the basics and good form.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This guy Some Dude is always trouble. You hear cops tell a lot a stories about him. :laugh:
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had an old guy tell me I shouldn't lift weights because it isn't ladylike.
    My thought "neither is telling people to f**k off" but I didn't-I try to respect the elderly.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier just to wear a t-shirt that said "Don't talk to me, your advice sucks" when you workout at the gym?

That presupposes that these dudes can read.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've lost count of how many guys who've wandered over to me when I'm in the squat rack, setting up my warm up weights:

"You alright, daaaaarlin'? Need any help?"

........."This is my warm up set"

Then I continue to squat over my body weight and they stand there gawking.

Just because I'm 5ft 2

You're my hero!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I have a ratty t-shirt that says Helltown, Ohio on it that I wear sometimes. There's an old man who asked me if I was from there, "no", then of I'd ever been there, "no". Then he said "well, then you must be a satanist." Huh??? Then he hit on me.
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I'm usually the only female in the man cave section of our gym, granted you may find another woman every now and then.
    They usually ask me what I am trying to achieve or "What's your goal?"

Last night, a power-lifter asked & I could not help myself but to say: "Bulking!" I'm trying to get big and bulky! LoL
    He knew I was kidding.

Most of them don't really say anything to me, they are just all peering at me like, "What are you doing over here?"
    One day, I'm going to ask one of them to spot me on bench, so I can get over the fear of benching more than 65lbs--yeah, I'm a weakling.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Most of the bros in my gym do as many reps as fast as they can with crappy form and look at ME like I am an idiot for taking thing slow and steady.

Like really, is this a race to see who can lift the fastest?
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The "men" section at the gym intimidates me where I go now! I used to go to a small gym mostly body builders and I didnt mind at all doing weights there and I was never given poor advice I stood my own ground and felt comfortable. That gym has since closed and I am now at a chain and I usually just avoid the "men" section and use the weight machines with the pins and such. I see very few women over in the free weights section. I wish I felt comfortable enough to use the free weights section again but there are mostly the D-bag type there in the mornings when I go. I have been given awful gym advice from a trainer...Don't do more than 25minutes of cardio and quit my long distance running...Um I am not looking to body build I just want to be tone and fit. You need the lean muscle and cardio together to burn fat and tone...25 mins of cardio might be heart healthy but will not help you loose weight...and long distance running is my hobby so not giving that up!
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My first day at my new gym, a TRAINER suggested to me that I might be more comfortable in the other area of the gym, where there are more women (read: cardio area). I told him I was fine, thanks. He replied that my presence was making some of the guys uncomfortable. I said, "They'll get used to me eventually." They did, but I'm still the only woman I've ever seen in the weight room at my gym.

facepalmed myself so hard. did he tell you you'd also feel more comfortable in the kitchen, and that women's suffrage is a pipe dream? GOOD FOR YOU! PUMP IRON REGARDLESS OF WHAT GENDER IS AROUND YOU!
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier just to wear a t-shirt that said "Don't talk to me, your advice sucks" when you workout at the gym? Hmmmm product idea forming.....

I would be interested in investing in this venture...
  • _Wonder_Woman_
    Options
    99% of the time I'm the only girl at my gym (at least while I'm there) that lifts. One day, I'm squatting *kitten* to the ground type squats on the Smith Machine. The guy vaccuuming the floors comes over to me, stands there for a few seconds, and says, "You're doing it wrong"!!! LOL!!!! I gave him the Eff off look, & kept going about my business.

Trying to tell me that I should keep my knees at a 90 degree angle, blah blah blah. MFer, I know what I'm doing. Continue vaccuuming & let me be. See this *kitten* & legs?? Yeah, I've been doing this for a bit.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The first time I'd ever been to a weight room my wife was showing me how to do some lifts. There was a dude trying to do some 50-lb-per-arm dumbbell presses. Dude asked me to come spot him/help him get the dumbbells in position . . . lol.

I was like "uh, so, you want me to uhm, encourage you or something? Uh. Go bro!"

I really wanted to say "maybe you should talk to my wife, she's the decision-maker of the household in this regard."

Wth love,
    Burt.

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about that! I was irritated that he asked you to spot him, even though I was clearly the one walking *you* through your first weight-lifting session. Whatevs. :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym stare in the mirror and run into the machines while they're staring.
  • weese17
    Options
    I've gotten WAY too much to name.

I think an all time favourite though was when I was doing good mornings and someone came up and told me that I was doing straight legged deadlifts wrong.

I literally snorted out loud at this. HAH!
  • weese17
    Options
    My first day at my new gym, a TRAINER suggested to me that I might be more comfortable in the other area of the gym, where there are more women (read: cardio area). I told him I was fine, thanks. He replied that my presence was making some of the guys uncomfortable. I said, "They'll get used to me eventually." They did, but I'm still the only woman I've ever seen in the weight room at my gym.

Good for you for telling him where to stick it. Good gravy.
  • weese17
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier just to wear a t-shirt that said "Don't talk to me, your advice sucks" when you workout at the gym? Hmmmm product idea forming.....

I would buy the hizell out of that t-shirt.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    there just trying to spark conversation and hit on ya
  • weese17
    Options
    99% of the time I'm the only girl at my gym (at least while I'm there) that lifts. One day, I'm squatting *kitten* to the ground type squats on the Smith Machine. The guy vaccuuming the floors comes over to me, stands there for a few seconds, and says, "You're doing it wrong"!!! LOL!!!! I gave him the Eff off look, & kept going about my business.

Trying to tell me that I should keep my knees at a 90 degree angle, blah blah blah. MFer, I know what I'm doing. Continue vaccuuming & let me be. See this *kitten* & legs?? Yeah, I've been doing this for a bit.

Lovely - the cleaning guy is giving you advice. *eyeroll*
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    At the gym the other day I heard this guy tell his girlfriend (she was just sitting there watching him lift weights) that she (and I quote) "Doesn't need to drink any protein powders because she'll get bulky if she does". I was also lifting minding my own business but I was like WHAAAT! She 1) wasn't even lifting the whole hour he was down there and 2) WHAT!?

I guess I am going to get sickly bulky but meh, that just means I can kick more *kitten*.... lol