First half marathon

Options
lizzue
lizzue Posts: 276 Member
Hi all,

I have just signed up for my first half marathon.

I can do a 5k comfortably but felt I was getting a little bit too comfortable and not pushing myself.

Has anyone got any tips from going from 5k to 1/2 marathon?

Any info GREATLY recieved :-)

thanks,
Liz xx

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I did 2 lots of 10k races last year, and thought that the half marathon would be a good next challenge.

Whens your race? There's lots of good training plans available.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Its in October so about 7 months, longer distances always scare me! But I need a little push to get me going
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Totally achieavable. I just ran my first half on sunday! Find a good training plan, I really like Hal higdons plans or you can get a personalised plan on runners world. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Do you run with a group? My running group were great support for long runs, hill training etc. Would recommend joining one.

Build your distance gradually each week to prevent injury and you will be fine! Good luck :)
  • rschwimer
    Options
    Congrats on signing up! That's the first step. The runners world training plan is great. Don't neglect core training. A strong core will keep you in better running form. Also, think about adding in some high intensity sprints a few times a week. Great for building endurance and don't forget to take your recovery days. Good luck...you can do it!