7lb gain in 3 days? Help

Options
Hi everyone - advice needed - I fell of the diet wagon the last few days and been bad but I weighed in this morning and nearly died when I have gained 7lb in 3 days?? Is that even possible? I have been bad but 7lb seems a massive amount to gain even for the d
Foods I ate! I usually follow a low cal low carb diet and have lost 90lb by doing this but this has really upset me and thrown me off track - please help xxx

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was 193 but weighed in at 199 yesterday. Water weight!!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The only advice I have is to try and get back on track. You may have eaten more carbs that your body is used to processing, more soidum which will make you retain water, etc. If you get back on track, your body can work on flushing out what was put in and things will right themselves soon enough.
    Don't stress about falling off the wagon! It happens. Now forget about it and get back to your healthier eating plan.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I guarantee the majority of that is water weight. Be strict with your diet, drink a lot of water, and workout. I'm sure that in a few days you will see a big change.
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say water too. Maybe weigh a few times in the next three days and average the weight?!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track and weigh again in a week. It's probably water weight from extra salt and you probably went out of ketosis and will need 3 days of low carb eating to get back in (if that's how you've been doing it).
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yeah water weight. Take a deep breath and drink your water and exercise today. If anything it will make you feel better but don't weigh tomorrow! Wait a week and keep working at it. Look at what you have been eating if there is alot of salt then yeah- water weight.
  • sdhorne
    sdhorne Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Most is water weight. Also you should only weigh once a week or so and first thing in the morning. Oh and wear the same thing (or nothing at all) when you weigh. Keep working hard it pays off.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. I am seeing a trend :)
  • jennij1984
    Options
    I feel your pain! I recently had the exact same thing happen to me! Get back to watching what you eat and you will see the numbers go back down very quickly! Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its just water weight.. you would have had to eat 24500 calories to gain 7lbs in the last three days.
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    Salt will do it for sure. If something you splurged on was high in salt that can make a huge difference. I gained 5 pounds over some homemade beef and barley soup. It came off plus a pound the following week, but I know it was the salt and a water gain.
  • hheiland05
    hheiland05 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Day by day it will come off. I also think you should only weigh yourself once per week and weigh in the morning. Good luck and keep up all the hard work
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    1 lb is 3500 calories. You would need to have eaten 3500x3 ABOVE your TDEE calories, in order to gain that weight. It is either water retention due to salty food, TOM, change in exercise or level and kept by body for repair. Breathe and relax.
  • Katiedxxxx
    Katiedxxxx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ate loads of chocolate and ice cream and some take always which must contain salt I suppose plus I didn't drink very much water - x
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Your ticker and photo show you've been at this a while, so I think you know it's water but just want some reassurance that you're not kidding yourself about that.

Yep. It's water. You mentioned falling off the wagon, and I'd guess you loaded up on the sodium during that time.

Give it time to subside and get back on your program. It'll be fine. :)
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Whoops! looks like you unintentionally carb loaded :D

If you up your carbs suddenly your muscles will store more glycogen.
    You store about 3g of water per 1g of glycogen.
    So, you could easily gain 4-6 lbs JUST in adding carbs back in your diet (depending on your size).

But its not fat.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon and put on 6 pounds. I've gotten back on and "lost" 3.5lb in two days. Better quality carbs are key for me.
  • Katiedxxxx
    Katiedxxxx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - been at this a while but never fallen off wagon so but of a shock for me! Starting to Except what is done is done and only I can make it better - no miracles cxx
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    probably a combination of glycogen being replenished, high sodium causing retention and possibly not having a BM yet - dont freak out just get back on track.

this is why I don't really worry about sodium so much anymore cause when I have a cheat day - I will bloat really badly - I tend to keep mine around 4500 or so now